Returning to golf after 12 years off

BlakeGom

Reaction score
Handicap
Duffer
Hey everyone, My name is Blake and I'm 37 from Southern California. I used to play golf in high school into my early twenties with my dad. He had to move north for his job and after losing my main golf buddy I fell out of it.
Fast forward to Oct 5th 2020, losing my mind in this pandemic, doing a lot of sitting since my job can be done from home and my office is closed, I was wracking my brain trying to come up with an outdoor hobby. I got recommended a golf video on youtube out of no where and remembered I still had my dads old set of clubs he let me use (Ping Eye 2). I started going to the range weekly trying to get back to the point where I could play on a course again.
A couple weeks ago I realized I was playing with clubs that were older than I was and got a used set of Taylormade RSI-1's and some other assorted used clubs from Roger Dunn with my Coronabucks.
With the money invested and some concepts finally clicking or returning to me I was finally convinced to get back out onto the course and I did that today. First round in 12 years and I had a blast. 18 hole par 3 course in Long Beach called Heartwell, used to play it all the time in high school. Actually made a par and several 4's today.
Golf is becoming an obsession again, wife is just happy to see me excited and out of the house.

Welcome to THP, glad you’re back an excited in the game.

:welcome: This is the place for the obsession!

Welcome to THP

Welcome and Coronabucks made me laugh.

:welcome:

Welcome back to golf and THP ⛳

Welcome to THP!!

Welcome fella.

Hey everyone, My name is Blake and I'm 37 from Southern California. I used to play golf in high school into my early twenties with my dad. He had to move north for his job and after losing my main golf buddy I fell out of it.
Fast forward to Oct 5th 2020, losing my mind in this pandemic, doing a lot of sitting since my job can be done from home and my office is closed, I was wracking my brain trying to come up with an outdoor hobby. I got recommended a golf video on youtube out of no where and remembered I still had my dads old set of clubs he let me use (Ping Eye 2). I started going to the range weekly trying to get back to the point where I could play on a course again.
A couple weeks ago I realized I was playing with clubs that were older than I was and got a used set of Taylormade RSI-1's and some other assorted used clubs from Roger Dunn with my Coronabucks.
With the money invested and some concepts finally clicking or returning to me I was finally convinced to get back out onto the course and I did that today. First round in 12 years and I had a blast. 18 hole par 3 course in Long Beach called Heartwell, used to play it all the time in high school. Actually made a par and several 4's today.
Golf is becoming an obsession again, wife is just happy to see me excited and out of the house.
I had a seven year layoff due to life circumstances. Welcome back! You will be surprised how fast the scoring will return.

I hope you enjoy your time on the course and the forum.

Welcome!! You’ve come to a great place

Welcome!

Welcome! I had a 10 year break myself and I've been back a little over 2 years. Good to have you here

Welcome to THP

Welcome aboard

Welcome to THP and welcome back to golf

Welcome to THP and welcome back to golf.

I was on a hiatus myself. And like you, the boredom from COVID brought me back.

In my 50s I came back from a 23-year layoff. Very similar circumstances except for the length of time away. My Dad was my main golf partner and I sort of lost interest after he passed. It wasn't until my youngest daughter suddenly became interested in the game on her own that I decided to jump back in. Really enjoying it even though I struggle most of the time to break 100, or 50 on nine-hole rounds, which I play more often than I play full rounds. I started out upon my return with Jack Nicklaus MacGregor irons from the mid-80s!

Back