Video Returning to golf after a long hiatus. Seeking more advice (I have a coach atm) - Lots of info below. 2 months in atm

Mahomezy

Reaction score
30 years old, 5'10", 165lb, returning to golf after taking a decade-plus hiatus since before the start of college in 2012. Couple rounds here and there with my buddies. No club fittings, no practice, nothing serious in the last 15 years, until now. Grew up swinging a golf club semi-frequently, and also played a lot of hockey..for what it's worth.

It's been exactly 60 days since I started practicing seriously. I've had three 1hr lessons with a PGA professional using Trackman tech, 18 driving range sessions (all on mats), and played 45 holes (averaging between 49.8 per 9 holes). I've hit upwards to 3,000 balls in the last 60 days. I think I've hit more golf balls since I returned than I have in the last 15 years.

WITB: I picked up some hardly used Titleist AP1s (2009) R-flex NS Pro 105T shafts, and re-gripped them with the white Golf Pride Tour Wraps (standard size I think). Still using my old driver (10.5 Sasquatch, R flex) and 3H (Ping Rapture), Warrior 60 degree, Odyssey 2-ball White Hot putter. The only new purchase I've made is a new Titleist sm9 56 (10 bounce).

Primary Problem: Striking Irons consistently
Before my first lesson, I couldn't get ball flight with my irons. My miss was low and right. Quickly figured out with my coach that I was using all arms and had very little body rotation. My coach's primary focus at first has been getting me to build muscle memory in my takeaway and follow through, while focusing on transfering my weight during my swing and not allowing my hands to get ahead of me. I struggled with getting weight off my back foot at first, but have made progress in that regard. My coach really emphasized that I need to get my weight into my front left heel when I follow through and swing. Coach had me doing lots of slow 9-3 drills with a 7i while trying to keep my arms straight the whole time. He also would put an alignment stick in the butt of the club and have me do the same 9-3 swing without having the alignment stick hit my body at the end of the swing. Now my coach transitioned into a 3-pump drill, where I take my swing back to around 9, then hinge, and pump the butt of the club into my hip 3 times before swinging through with my body. This would either result in an awful miss, or a very flush feeling shot. However, it's been hard to really hone that feeling/sensation when I'm on the range. I tend to want to swing flat, at least that's how I'd describe it, and use my shoulders more and keep my hands/wrists out of it. (see videos). I have a preference atm for choking up on the club, I tend to feel more control of the face that way. But at times when I've gotten dialed in, I will grip up normally and I can instantly notice the extra distance and apex I can achieve when I strike it well that way.

Also, I feel like it's worth noting my biggest struggle while practicing: addressing the ball & GRIP. I grew up playing with a 10 finger grip. I switched to interlocking upon my return, and have recently transitioned to an overlap grip this past week. Interlock hurt my pinky fingers after playing. I've had some very good range sessions in the past 2 weeks where I'm hitting roughly 90% of my shots well. But I can't stop overthinking how I grip the club before I swing. I have tried tweaking stuff such as my left hand position from neutral to weak to strong, adjusting the pressure of my right index and thumb, etc,. I've read Hogan's book and circled back to his chapter on grip. but idk. Unfortunately, I am getting blisters on my right hand (through medical tape) on my right index (inside bottom right), right middle (right side tip), and right thumb (right side tip). I picked up my friend's irons which had a medium-large grip on them and I really loved the feel, and now I want to test some irons out with a large-jumbo sized grip. I also am leaning towards trying out some graphite shafted irons to get a softer feel.

I'm going to work more with my coach for a while until I'm feeling good before I get fitted for clubs, but in the meantime, I'm going to test out some larger grips on my 7i.

Looking for any analysis on my swing, insight to gripping the club, and any other tips/advice. Feel free to ask questions.

Club I am swinging in the video is either a 7i or 6i. Also a video of me hitting my 3h and 4i at TG. Can repost them if there are any issues, lmk.

Thx in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_1431.mov
    60.8 MB
  • filtered-9481EF87-C245-4464-8791-3155F8DA5236.mov
    9.6 MB
  • 277DAB1C-A3D1-4834-9960-23F770E7A3CF.mp4
    7 MB
More swings. Either a 7 or 9i. Some of the vids I've uploaded from my iphone I can view in the browser, others it wants to download. Not sure what the fix is.

Edit: seems I can view them all fine from my phone.

Attachments

• IMG_1431.mov
    70.9 MB
  • IMG_1431.mov
    45.6 MB
Last edited:
Welcome to thp.

:welcome:

Keep putting in the work, golf is hard.

Man, I like your swing!! Should be playing good golf soon with that swing

Man, I like your swing!! Should be playing good golf soon with that swing
Thank you, I really appreciate it! I can only hope so.
Lots of credit to my coach for helping me get to where I am in 2 months. Excited to see what he continues to have me work on.

Welcome to THP

You have a leg up athletically - hockey seems to translate to golf extremely well.

Your swing and ball flight are perfectly playable now. Maybe consider working on short game and course management as they correlate to scoring. Remember, there’s “perfect swing” golf and real golf where the goal is to get the ball in the hole. Your swing looks good enough to me to think about the latter.

Welcome to THP

You have a leg up athletically - hockey seems to translate to golf extremely well.

Your swing and ball flight are perfectly playable now. Maybe consider working on short game and course management as they correlate to scoring. Remember, there’s “perfect swing” golf and real golf where the goal is to get the ball in the hole. Your swing looks good enough to me to think about the latter.
Ty. I for sure need to work on course mgmt and short game. Lots of 3 putts in all my rounds so far.

I don’t feel like I can consistently step up to the ball with an iron and not think about mechanics I’ve been working on with my coach. As mentioned, I’m always thinking about my address, grip, my head, and body rotation. Because of this I haven’t been able to truly gauge my distances with my irons yet. Too much dispersion atm, whether it’s on the course, range, or sim.

Ty. I for sure need to work on course mgmt and short game. Lots of 3 putts in all my rounds so far.

I don’t feel like I can consistently step up to the ball with an iron and not think about mechanics I’ve been working on with my coach. As mentioned, I’m always thinking about my address, grip, my head, and body rotation. Because of this I haven’t been able to truly gauge my distances with my irons yet. Too much dispersion atm, whether it’s on the course, range, or sim.
I like to work off my 8i. Know that then work out toward 7i and 9i which are likely 10-15 yards off your 8i.

Welcome to THP, there is a lot of good stuff here.

I would suggest slightly better posture and more athletic stance at address. There are some good things happening during your swing, so it is easy to see the athleticism and potential. From some of the things you said, sounds like a decent coach to me.

Don’t just go buy stuff, get fit for it, even new grips. Picking the right size grips doesn’t take much time, but there are a lot of different feels out there, so feel them.

Good luck with the journey, it is a great game to play. 👍

Welcome to THP!

Your swing is definitely good enough to eventually shoot in the 70s. With how much you've been practicing it's not a surprise you have some blisters. I'd ask your instructor how to grip the club and stick with that. Grip tends to drift a little bit so it's good to have some defined "settings" to come back to.

Have you tried holding a club as you would a hockey stick and hitting a few balls?

Welcome to THP!

Your swing is definitely good enough to eventually shoot in the 70s. With how much you've been practicing it's not a surprise you have some blisters. I'd ask your instructor how to grip the club and stick with that. Grip tends to drift a little bit so it's good to have some defined "settings" to come back to.
Thanks. Glad to be here.

I messaged my coach last night and he said he can swap a temporary grip on one of my irons after work today. Going to have him throw a larger grip on my 7i. Really hoping that helps me get more feel. Not sure what grip he will put on it yet.

Right now it feels like I am trying to compensate for certain gaps in my hands when I grip. It's hard to describe without a picture, but I try to be 'textbook' about it, and it ends up feeling okay one shot, and awkward the next.
Right now with the Overlap, I try to get my right pinky to lay between the left ring and middle finger, on top of them but inbetween. Then sometimes at address I will want my right pinky to kind of lay on the right side of my right index, almost like a really weak overlap grip that's just shy of being a 10 finger grip.

I mentioned during to my coach during my first lesson that I just started using the interlock, and I told him this week that I swapped to the overlap. He said the overlap grip makes the grip feel effectively bigger. Other than that, he hasn't coached me on gripping the club and doesn't seem to think it's a major issue.

Last edited:
Have you tried holding a club as you would a hockey stick and hitting a few balls?
No. I've done a drill at home that I saw online, where I hold the butt of the shaft in one hand, and the middle of the shaft in the other, then kind of swing in the air that way. Felt like I was holding an Axe.

Not yet. I've done the drill where

Thanks. Glad to be here.

I messaged my coach last night and he said he can swap a temporary grip on one of my irons after work today. Going to have him throw a larger grip on my 7i. Really hoping that helps me get more feel. Not sure what grip he will put on it yet.

Right now it feels like I am trying to compensate for certain gaps in my hands when I grip. It's hard to describe without a picture, but I try to be 'textbook' about it, and it ends up feeling okay one shot, and awkward the next.
Right now with the Overlap, I try to get my right pinky to lay between the left ring and middle finger, on top of them but inbetween. Then sometimes at address I will want my right pinky to kind of lay on the right side of my right index, almost like a really weak overlap grip that's just shy of being a 10 finger grip.

I mentioned during to my coach during my first lesson that I just started using the interlock, and I told him this week that I swapped to the overlap. He said the overlap grip makes the grip feel effectively bigger. Other than that, he hasn't coached me on gripping the club and doesn't seem to think it's a major issue.
I use interlock but I've never heard of overlap being anything other than having your right pinky sit between your pointer and middle finger. Basically the same spot it would be if you were interlocking just with the pinky chilling on top of the fingers instead of in between.

I use interlock but I've never heard of overlap being anything other than having your right pinky sit between your pointer and middle finger. Basically the same spot it would be if you were interlocking just with the pinky chilling on top of the fingers instead of in between.
Gotcha. I've tried swinging with the pinky sitting between the fingers, on top of the index finger, and slightly off to the right of the index. They all feel alright, but nothing seems as comfortable as a ten finger grip. I'm just a bit hesitant atm to try reverting back to a 10 finger grip since it seems to be a bit unconventional and since I haven't practiced with it since I returned. I will sometimes hit a few shots with a ten finger after a good shot using the overlap, and the ball flight is usually straighter, where as the overlap I tend to produce a more natural draw.

Gotcha. I've tried swinging with the pinky sitting between the fingers, on top of the index finger, and slightly off to the right of the index. They all feel alright, but nothing seems as comfortable as a ten finger grip. I'm just a bit hesitant atm to try reverting back to a 10 finger grip since it seems to be a bit unconventional and since I haven't practiced with it since I returned. I will sometimes hit a few shots with a ten finger after a good shot using the overlap, and the ball flight is usually straighter, where as the overlap I tend to produce a more natural draw.
10 finger is unconventional compared to interlock and overlap but not unheard of or anything. If memory serves most instruction I've seen says the the main drawback from 10 finger is that your hands are prone to fighting each other and you lose control. But you coming from a hockey background it would seem intuitive you'd feel more control with a 10 finger. Have you asked your coach what they think about you sticking with 10 finger?

10 finger is unconventional compared to interlock and overlap but not unheard of or anything. If memory serves most instruction I've seen says the the main drawback from 10 finger is that your hands are prone to fighting each other and you lose control. But you coming from a hockey background it would seem intuitive you'd feel more control with a 10 finger. Have you asked your coach what they think about you sticking with 10 finger?
Coach seems to not care about my grip atm, and is just focusing on fixing my swing and ball striking. I have another lesson on Monday and will talk to him some more about it. Maybe I will have him watch me hit a few shots with each grip after I am warmed up to see if there are any obvious differences in the numbers.

Man, I would kill for a swing like that. Seems like your instructor has some great drills to get into a great swing. I wish I could find an instructor that did these things. I have been through three of them. First one would not listen to me at all. Second one was the best of the group. I made very little progress with the third one. And pickings are slim around here. The second instructor is over an hour away.

Back