VA. Vince

SC bound...
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN: 15.1
After 2 lessons I am coming to this finish after a swing. One thing I am feeling is my lower back hurting after a round. I still do not have all of my weight on my left side at finish, more like 70-30 left to right. My coach hasnt said anything about my finish so I am guessing its ok but its killing my lower back. Its really only with irons as I am standing a lot taller with driver. Any thoughts on the reverse C?

Finish means nothing. The ball is already gone at that point.

So whats the big deal with the finish? I have always heard people talk about a proper finish?

There's a lot of things that could be causing you to have lower back pain. There could be something he has changed in your swing that's causing this. It might be that these are muscle you aren't used to using in your 'old' swing that you are now. I would make sure you say something to him about the pain you're having because the back is something you don't want to play with. He might have a simple solution or answer for you.

Finish means nothing. The ball is already gone at that point.
He's talking about his back pain issues. And the reverse C finish is bad on your back. Just saw a segment a week or so ago on the golf channel on this, and I've heard it other places.

There's a lot of things that could be causing you to have lower back pain. There could be something he has changed in your swing that's causing this. It might be that these are muscle you aren't used to using in your 'old' swing that you are now. I would make sure you say something to him about the pain you're having because the back is something you don't want to play with. He might have a simple solution or answer for you.

Its defiantly in my swing thats causing it. But than again my lower back has been an issue for quite a few years from my job. I will mention it to him, thanks.

He's talking about his back pain issues. And the reverse C finish is bad on your back. Just saw a segment a week or so ago on the golf channel on this, and I've heard it other places.

Thanks Smalls, I will try and find that on Golf channel website.

Thanks Smalls, I will try and find that on Golf channel website.
I don't remember the show I saw it on. At least I think it was on TGC. Maybe it was something I read in Golf Digest! haha. But I think it was on TGC.

So whats the big deal with the finish?

A finish is a goal. Most times when people talk about finishing in a certain position, they're trying to manipulate the golfers body and mind to do something in the middle of the swing.

I don't see a big deal, but I guess it is one if you make it one.

I have always heard people talk about a proper finish?

What's the proper finish? 144 tour players have 144 different finishes. They're all proper individually.

Rule #1- if something hurts, dont do it.

Reverse C puts some serious strain on the lower back as I used to do this. I've been pain free for two years since I changed to an upright finish. I'm surprised your instructor hasn't addressed this or maybe he wants to focus on other parts of the swing for now and will get to your finish later? Too many swing thoughts can be real frustrating.

A finish is a goal. Most times when people talk about finishing in a certain position, they're trying to manipulate the golfers body and mind to do something in the middle of the swing.

I don't see a big deal, but I guess it is one if you make it one.

What's the proper finish? 144 tour players have 144 different finishes. They're all proper individually.
Thainer, in the OP, he mentioned his back has started hurting after he noticed he was finishing in a reverse C. I think the back issue is the main point of the thread? Maybe not, but that's how I took it.

Thainer, in the OP, he mentioned his back has started hurting after he noticed he was finishing in a reverse C. I think the back issue is the main point of the thread? Maybe not, but that's how I took it.

I was basing off of "any thoughts on the reverse C?".

If his coach tells him to do something that hurts, than he needs a better coach(if his coach ignores him when he says it hurts). The reverse C will hurt a ton of people who aren't flexible enough for that movement. Rory used to do it, but he's stronger now and doesn't need to for power. Do what you can but don't hurt yourself. This game is worth playing until your senior years.

IMO coaching needs to be about making your swing more efficient, not getting to a picturesque swing. JB is a perfect example. Great swing, great movements, not typically "picturesque", but it's whats on the scorecard that matters. Therefore, finish they way that is comfortable for you.

If his coach tells him to do something that hurts, than he needs a better coach(if his coach ignores him when he says it hurts). The reverse C will hurt a ton of people who aren't flexible enough for that movement. Rory used to do it, but he's stronger now and doesn't need to for power. Do what you can but don't hurt yourself. This game is worth playing until your senior years.

Even if you are flexible enough to do the reverse C, it is bad for you back and will affect you long term.

Just like smalls I've read and heard that the reverse C is really bad on your back. I would bring it up with your instructor, especially the pain. If he can't help you, it's time to find someone else. Wanting to get good at golf is not worth sacrificing long term health.

My coach has said nothing about my finish as he shouldn't unless I tell him it hurts my lower back. I will mention it to him and see what he says. After looking at some of my video its not a hard (old school) reverse C. Hopefully my new workout routine will help my lower back and improving my swing will as well. Thanks for the input everyone and I am very happy with my coach, believe me he is good but also if I do not say anything how is he to know.

I was basing off of "any thoughts on the reverse C?".

Yes and thanks for the input

He is not telling me to finish this way, its a work in process and its where I am at now.

IMO coaching needs to be about making your swing more efficient, not getting to a picturesque swing. JB is a perfect example. Great swing, great movements, not typically "picturesque", but it's whats on the scorecard that matters. Therefore, finish they way that is comfortable for you.

Agree, He is not changing a lot just tweaking some things. I just want a finish thats easy on my back, one thing that may help is a fitting. I feel like my irons need to be longer and all this will happen in a few weeks. Thanks again Thainer.

Yes Small's, back and proper finish was my concern. I really think standing taller will help also getting more weight on my left side. Its a work in process and I have 4 more lessons to get it right. Thanks

Back