Ribbed grips on irons?

Newman21

Reaction score
Handicap
How many of you all use ribbed grips in your irons? Positives and negatives?

Closest I've come is the GP Align. I used them for a while, but ultimately decided against. Mainly because I like to open my wedges often and I didn't like the feel of the Align reminder when it was in a different position than "normal".

For whose pleasure? Lol

I put pure grips on old irons, were meh

Never tried them but mainly because I manipulate the club depending on what shot I want to hit and felt this might throw me off

3-9 GP MMC +4 Aligns, wedges just MMC +4 so I can manipulate them like @OGputtnfool said.

I love a ribbed, reminded or "aligned" grip. I like to play them on all my clubs. Many will say they do not like them on wedges because of manipulating the face. To me, it helps even more there. It gives you an indication of how much the face is turned and a greater ability to maintain that face angle because you can feel it in your hands more. For the first time in years I do not have that type of grip on my clubs right now.

I miss it. :cry:

I bought a couple new ribbed grips and tried one, but did not like it and went back to the ND MCC+4.

Have aligns on all but I think three clubs, and that was because I ran out of them. Love them

What do the pros do ya think? Do they use reminders/ribbed grips in their irons? Anyone know?

What do the pros do ya think? Do they use reminders/ribbed grips in their irons? Anyone know?

For a long time it was considered the pros "secret" to play ribbed grips. It was at one time very very popular. I am currently unsure though of its popularity.

UPDATE: just read where 1 out of 3 pro's utilize ribbed (align) grips including Rory and Phil as examples. Thought that was interesting. Ordered mine today to give it a try.

I have used only ribbed grips for decades....were tough to find a few years ago. Only place I could get them was on eBay from places that had older grips in stock...tour velvet ribbed.

I have the Aligns on my irons, long clubs, driver and honestly, I think they are a must have. I don't have them on my wedges.
They help you get a feel in your hands for where the club face is. I really can’t see a down side to them, unless you install them on your clubs inconsistently.

Last edited:
I might have to try these on irons. I still think I manipulate my wedges too much for these but I could see how they would help on irons and fairways

I use the Tour Velvet ribbed on everything, including wedges...the Align grips just have the rib on the outside so you can see it (marketing 101) but for twice the price of the TVelvet.

I've been contemplating them, may have to get 1 & try it out.

I don't like them at all. 30% of tour players use them, and I'm no tour player, but I'm with the other 70% of them on this. I don't need or want a reminder at the back of my grip where to put my hands, or where the club face is. It alters my pressure in a way I don't like. Specifically, it seems to relax the pressure on the last couple fingers of my left hand. Especially my pinky. Last thing I want. Similarly, I tend to pull back the pointer finger on my right hand just a touch, and the combination throws me off near impact. It feels like it putts my hands in opposition.

If I had to play one it would be the Tour Velvet Ribbed. Keep the mcc aligns away from me. When I buy a used club that has one I barely have it out of the box before I'm cutting through that grip.

literally came here to read all the "for her pleasure" comments. love it!

i prefer the align grips..... they are there for my pleasure! kidding aside, the align grips really help me set my hands properly. I use them on all the clubs, even my driver and hybrids!

From all the research I have done, I do not see any detriment to having ribbed grips on your clubs (other than wedges). It will ONLY help your sense of face direction/control along with lesser grip tension. I am looking forward to trying them on my irons. I do like them on my 5 wood and hybrid already. I don't think about my grip slipping as much for one with the align ribbed grips.
To each, their own though. Right?

From all the research I have done, I do not see any detriment to having ribbed grips on your clubs (other than wedges). It will ONLY help your sense of face direction/control along with lesser grip tension. I am looking forward to trying them on my irons. I do like them on my 5 wood and hybrid already. I don't think about my grip slipping as much for one with the align ribbed grips.
To each, their own though. Right?
I don't think there's a detriment at all.. I haven't gotten a chance to try one but I intend to

So I put new GP Align grips on my 5-AW today. Tried them this evening and really like them. I have a tendency to sometimes "over draw" my irons and with the new ribbed grips, it looks as though that has calmed down majorly. It will take some getting used to but so far so good.

So I put new GP Align grips on my 5-AW today. Tried them this evening and really like them. I have a tendency to sometimes "over draw" my irons and with the new ribbed grips, it looks as though that has calmed down majorly. It will take some getting used to but so far so good.
I need to try these then as I have the same tendency

I tried the MCC Align grips in my Cobra FTB irons and Cobra woods and didn’t find any benefit for myself. Going back to GP CP2 grips due to aging hands/fingers and better moisture management. Just work better for me.

Back