Rick Shiels vs. Ian Poulter

V14_Heels

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
There's certainly some Rick Shiels and Ian Poulter haters up in here, but this video was just top notch in my opinion so figured it was worth sharing. It's almost solely because of Ian Poulter's ability to describe his golf thought process on camera. There's several long dialogs back and forth between the two of the or of him just talking to himself about what he's thinking through and I just found it really interesting.

In particular, hole 13 around the 1:12 mark was like o_O for me.

This sounds like it has the potential to be the worst YouTube video ever made. Like the two people I would want to watch least on YouTube and I watch A LOT of bad YouTube golf. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I will watch it though, for science.

I actually like Poults. Got tired of Shiels ~ 2 years ago

This sounds like it has the potential to be the worst YouTube video ever made. Like the two people I would want to watch least on YouTube and I watch A LOT of bad YouTube golf. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Oh man. These are some of his better videos. The one with Tommy Fleetwood is nice.

I don't know why all these YouTube golfers started to do 2 hr videos. I watch a lot of these on 2x speed which means I miss a lot of what is said but it is a lot to take in to watch other people play golf. :ROFLMAO:

Just finished watching that very same video. Also watched the podcast interview yesterday. Both were a good watch.

I don't know why all these YouTube golfers started to do 2 hr videos. I watch a lot of these on 2x speed which means I miss a lot of what is said but it is a lot to take in to watch other people play golf. :ROFLMAO:
Because the view data support it and they can put more ads in them. Plus the YouTube algorithm tends to promote longer form content more lately.

Because the view data support it and they can put more ads in them. Plus the YouTube algorithm tends to promote longer form content more lately.
So glad I have an Adblocker for YouTube

Long the video the more $$'s in their pocket especially if viewers stick with it

The only hate Rick should get is producing a video that humanized Poulter.
Long time IJP hater and after watching the video, I can say he actually seems like a decent fellow. Maybe I'm getting soft in my old age and I know he can no longer hurt us in the Ryder Cup...

The only hate Rick should get is producing a video that humanized Poulter.
Long time IJP hater and after watching the video, I can say he actually seems like a decent fellow. Maybe I'm getting soft in my old age and I know he can no longer hurt us in the Ryder Cup...
I'd agree with this. I've got alot of Poulter the last month, Netflix Documentary, Rich Shiels Podcast, and this video and I'm just genuinely a fan at this point.

You can hate him, dislike him for whatever reasons, but I don't know how can't watch this video and appreciate how fantastic he was on camera. I get the length is a major deterrent, but it's even a good skim.

I don't deal with ads, I've had YouTube Premium for ages, it's well worth it for me, I watch alot of Youtube channels.

I'll have to give this a watch. It is what it is, right?

😂🤣😅

Thank god for ad blockers, although they are getting more aggressive against them. I only see them on my work laptop and it drives me insane.

You're right about ad support though, plus Rick said on the podcast, people are actually watching the longer videos, sometimes people take a break and come back to them (I guess they get even this level of detail in the stats).

I actually like his 10 shot challenges, I really liked this one, despite not having a good opinion of Poulter after watching him on Full Swing, but I am wondering if the narrative wasn't put like that to paint him as a total arse. Not saying he isn't but my opinion of him certainly got better after this video. It was fun to watch and really interesting to see / hear him talk about his thoughts and shot process.

I’m not a huge Rick fan but I’m adding this to my queue to watch

Thank god for ad blockers, although they are getting more aggressive against them. I only see them on my work laptop and it drives me insane.

You're right about ad support though, plus Rick said on the podcast, people are actually watching the longer videos, sometimes people take a break and come back to them (I guess they get even this level of detail in the stats).

I actually like his 10 shot challenges, I really liked this one, despite not having a good opinion of Poulter after watching him on Full Swing, but I am wondering if the narrative wasn't put like that to paint him as a total arse. Not saying he isn't but my opinion of him certainly got better after this video. It was fun to watch and really interesting to see / hear him talk about his thoughts and shot process.
Yea I watched this over the course of like 5 days. I don't sit down and watch it like a movie by any means.

It’s a good watch. I think the entire premise of Rick taking on these tour pros who spot him a 10 stoke lead is a good one. I definitely don’t watch them in 1 go though. I like Shiels, but in smaller doses.

Yea I watched this over the course of like 5 days. I don't sit down and watch it like a movie by any means.
I’ve watched some of the really long GoodGood and Grant Horvat ones in one sitting.

Oh and YouTube Premium is totally worth the cost to get out of commercials if you spend a lot of time watching YouTube

Rick Shiels is far more pleasant to watch to me than many of his counterparts (Peter Finch or Mark Crossfield especially). He talks about 95% less than those two. I like that Rick is willing to admit to the flaws in his game and show his attempts to fix it.

I’ve watched some of the really long GoodGood and Grant Horvat ones in one sitting.

Oh and YouTube Premium is totally worth the cost to get out of commercials if you spend a lot of time watching YouTube
Yea the only ones I can't do are the MASSIVE scrambles. There's some like 6v6 scrambles they've done and they are so painful. I don't want to watch 12 tee shots in a row and then 6 putts from 25 feet. But I watch almost all of Good Good's stuff, all of Rick's stuff and all of Bob Does Sports.

Micah, Grant and Bryan Bros are here and there if the content sounds interesting I might scope it out in between.

I really enjoyed the video and Ian seems like a fun guy to play a round of golf with. Kind of like the Full Swing series, I enjoy seeing the pros out of their normal element and get a better feel for their personalities.

Do have to agree that I am feeling a bit oversaturated with Shiels though...

Back