Rickie gets special invite

Pops

Formerly Bbutler
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Rickie gets special invite to Pga Championship. Difference of opinion on pga radio this morning. Let’s here THP opinion. I for one am glad he gets this chance and hope his game is on the mend.

I have much less of a problem with Rickie being offered an invite than I do Omar Uresti

I'm glad he got an invite. Really hope stuff starts clicking soon for him.

I’m happy to see him get the invite this year, but he also could have just earned his spot by playing well at the valspar this week but instead just skipped it.....

if his game doesn’t round back to form and he continues to get “special invites” after this year then I will be pretty annoyed.

I’ve put more than my 2 cents on Rickie on this forum so I’ll leave it at that. Lol.

Happy for him. Hope he pulls something together.

I have much less of a problem with Rickie being offered an invite than I do Omar Uresti
Uresti is earning his spot in the PGA Championship by taking the entire field at this week's PGA Pro Championship behind the woodshed.

Fine by me. He'll help the tourney with viewership/attendance, which is never bad. He's a good guy, from all I've seen/heard/read, which is a good thing. A good showing here might be just the thing he (and his fans) need.

I'm good with it, and hope to see his game turn around soon.

I'm ok with it, as long as it doesn't turn into the norm for players that fall out of the standings, but are still popular. Guess this could help his position in the popularity contest competition....or whatever that bonus thing is called.:sneaky:

I have no problem with this. The PGA of America can give out exemptions as they wish. His career record in majors and the fact that he was top 10 in the world in 2019 can justify this exemption.

Special exemptions are always an attention and dollar grab and Rickie is good at getting dollars. I dont see anything wrong with it.. Who else would be more deserving?

Uresti is earning his spot in the PGA Championship by taking the entire field at this week's PGA Pro Championship behind the woodshed.

While true, its the equivalent of me identifying as an 8 year old girl just to go dominate the drive-chip-putt.

Well, I'm not sure I could hang with them, but the point stands.

Glad to see him get in. Love Rickie and I hope he gets back in form.

Rickie is worth $$$$ and viewership... I hope he makes the weekend and can compete for top 25.

i would say no to the invite but rickie puts butts in the seats or eyes on the tv. i would have rather seen it go to a young guy trying to make it on the tour, sorry no name pops in my head for this.

I'm ok with it, as long as it doesn't turn into the norm for players that fall out of the standings, but are still popular. Guess this could help his position in the popularity contest competition....or whatever that bonus thing is called.:sneaky:
The "Golf Hall of Fame"?

I am glad he got a special invite. He does so much for so many people.

I hope he is able to turn in a good finish with the opportunity.

So what you're saying here is, the PGA Championship is:
Good - for the popular guy who didn't qualify
Bad - for the unpopular guy who did quality

While true, its the equivalent of me identifying as an 8 year old girl just to go dominate the drive-chip-putt.

I disagree with this. Many of these guys in this are sticks themselves. Heck Ben Kern who is playing in it won the Texas State Open and finished in the Top 10 in this tournament. He went on to play in the PGA and finished Tied for 42nd. He and a partner also won a Top Golf Challenge that year. Here's a pretty cool article about his year.

Ben Kern’s Dream Year – Making an impact in Texas before capturing Low Club Professional honors in the 2018 PGA Championship | PGA Championship

Except that Uresti is playing by the rules and you wouldn't be because of your age (assuming you didn't start posting here as a 7 yr old! :LOL:).

No issue with it. Though his game has been definitely way down the past few years, he has proven he can compete at the highest level.

He'll help the tourney with viewership/attendance
i would say no to the invite but rickie puts butts in the seats or eyes on the tv.
Rickie is worth $$$$ and viewership

He seems like a good guy and has handled his slump with class.

But I don't buy the increased viewership theory. I mean raise your hand if you are going to watch the PGA because Rickie is in it or not watch it if he wasn't? If he is in the final group on Sunday maybe but i'm guessing the tournament would get the same ratings with or without him.

I'm glad to see it. I like Rickie so I'm biased but he's good for the game and likely will get more eyes on the tournament.

Back