Right Arm in the Full Swing

TrueFX

Reaction score
Handicap
Since day one, I have kept my right arm and hand completely silent through the swing. I pull the club through the ball with my body / left arm.

Is this correct? Should I be doing anything with my right arm or hand? I feel like I may be missing a crucial part of the swing otherwise.

Thanks in advance for the input.

I assume you are right handed. I was taught as a righty almost 50 years ago to let the left arm dominate, and the right arm went along for the ride. Lots of weak fades in my future, but I was told my swing was pretty.

When I learned to use my right hand and let it dominate...more power and more draws came with lower scores.

But that's probably just me.

In retrospect, it was more of a left side thing than just a left arm thing.

This got me thinking about what my right arm is doing during the swing and I realize that I can't answer that question. I am so much more concerned about keeping my left arm straight and getting my lower body working in sync that I think my right arm is just along for the ride.

This got me thinking about what my right arm is doing during the swing and I realize that I can't answer that question. I am so much more concerned about keeping my left arm straight and getting my lower body working in sync that I think my right arm is just along for the ride.

Interesting. Sometimes I feel stuck, probably because I'm somewhat ineffectual with my waggle, so I use the middle finger of my right hand as my trigger to start my backswing with a low and slow swing thought. Other than my left hip and shifting to my left side on my downswing...I give no thought to my left side.

Different ways to get to the same place I suppose.

If you were not using the body and left arm it would be an issue but you are so the right hand is there as a guid of sorts. My game is similar and I add right hand when I need a little extra. But keep doing what you are doing

For me I'm right handed so it's not easy to not let the right arm take part when I'm right-dominant. That said, I believe the golf swing is governed by the body turn, the arms are just there to help square the clubface at impact, so the arms and hands, whichever hand, are not the major players in the golf swing. But that's just me.

Question, should I be extending my right arm at contact? I leave my right arm bent as long as possible until centrifugal force extends it in the follow through.

Question, should I be extending my right arm at contact? I leave my right arm bent as long as possible until centrifugal force extends it in the follow through.

If you look at pictures of pros, at impact, some of their right arms are fully extended, some past impact. Short answer - you may or may not.

What's important is that the clubface is square at impact.

Back