Right break vs. left break.

Templet0n

washed...
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
snow..
All things being equal. Say you are standing over a putt that is otherwise flat but breaks one way or the other.

Which break direction do you have more confidence that you will make it?

Personally (being right handed) I feel way more confident over a putt that breaks to the left. I think the difference is that on putts that break to the left you push the ball into the break vs pull it across your body on putts that break to the right?

what about you?

Same as you. Much more confident over putts that break left as a RH golfer.

no difference for me that I'm aware. If forced to select, I would prefer a left to right. I'm a right handed

As a left-hander, I prefer a left to right break. If I have one thought about the question, it would be that I will likely miss high on a L to R breaker and low on a R to L breaker.

Right handed and I prefer a left to right break. When over the putt, I just see the line better. Usually I do not read enough break on the right to left's.

RH golfer, and I prefer a left to right break. Reading right to left breaks doesn't compute in my mind for some reason, I have trouble visualizing them.

I'm a lefty. My normal missed putt is to the right. I'll go with that break. Knowing me though, I figure I'll read the break wrong and overcompensate. I've seen me do it.:LOL:

I heard somewhere this week that every putt is a straight putt once you decide what the line is to the break. I like both, but feel I do better with a right to left break. Not that I hit it better just that I must see it better.

Uphill I prefer hook putts and downhill prefer slice putts

That is a good question. I am going to pay attention to how well I do on close attempts.

If you want to make it with holing speed I like a up hill putt coming back.

Matters not to me. Never really thought about it

for the longest time it was left to right. but when i switched to a saw grip, for some reason i’m a lot less confident with those putts and now prefer right to left.

I like L to R breaking putts. I tend to make more of those than the R to L breakers.

Correct speed is a key factor with breaking putts. I've experimented with some success on contacting the ball with different areas of the club face on breakers, and speed.

I used to very much prefer left breaking (RH). Now I really have no preference. Why is it that righties are supposed to like left break more? Something about looking into the break instead of looking outside it? I can't remember, but it definitely used to apply to me. I never notice or think about it anymore, and my putt stats say it doesn't matter.

I haven’t ever thought about this, and now I’m wondering if I do have an unconscious preference. I don’t think it really matters to me, but I’ll pay attention during my round tonight!

RH putter and I’d say I prefer to look at left to right break but both birdies I made last round were right to left so my putting stats may not agree. It’s something I will pay more attention to

Right handed and I prefer a left to right break. When over the putt, I just see the line better. Usually I do not read enough break on the right to left's.

This! I was just making this comment to a playing partner last week. I am a natural left handed person who play golf right handed and I just see the breaks so much better when going right. I can never get high enough it seems on a left breaker.

Left to right putts give me fits. I don’t understand why.

Same as @NVGOLFER80. Big fan of the right to left breakers.

RH, prefer right to left breaking putts. Uphill, downhill, doesn't matter, prefer right to left.

For whatever reason, I'll tend to take too much borrow on shorter left to righters. Plus, some subconscious kink, yip, brainfart or whatever, I'll tend to pull such putts too. Maddening at times.

I would agree with you. As a righty, a putt breaking to the left feels better and gives me more confidence.

Right to left putts are easier to make for a right handed player. For some reason it's easier to play enough break as opposed to a left to right, which most right handers usually don't play enough break & it ends up short & right of the hole. Typically when I miss a right to left, it's because of speed & I hit it thru the break & miss it on the high side ... the "pro" side. ;)

RH, much prefer right-to-left breaks.

This thread made me think of Notah Begay....If putt breaks R to L he putts R handed....If it breaks L to R he putts Left handed. He used an old Titleist putter which was flat sided both sides.

Back