Right break vs. left break.

All things being equal. Say you are standing over a putt that is otherwise flat but breaks one way or the other.

Which break direction do you have more confidence that you will make it?

Personally (being right handed) I feel way more confident over a putt that breaks to the left. I think the difference is that on putts that break to the left you push the ball into the break vs pull it across your body on putts that break to the right?

what about you?
I agree, right to left is better to have.
I don't mind left to right, but R 2 L is better.

I'm more confident over the right to left breakers being right handed. With the left to right, I will sometimes lead with the heel of the putter and that is no bueno !

This thread made me think of Notah Begay....If putt breaks R to L he putts R handed....If it breaks L to R he putts Left handed. He used an old Titleist putter which was flat sided both sides.

the old bullseye.....

you should google his Nike Method bullseye they made him from the oven...... if i could ever track one down.... that would be my unicorn haha. But it was legit a 1 of 1 from them to him.....

I’ve never thought about it. Am I lacking in Golf self-awareness?!

Since I got fit for a new putter, I no longer have a preference.
Before, I preferred left to right and would miss the right to left on the low side.
Right handed…

This thread made me think of Notah Begay....If putt breaks R to L he putts R handed....If it breaks L to R he putts Left handed. He used an old Titleist putter which was flat sided both sides.
That's pretty neat, didn't know that.
Seeing the responses I'm wondering if the reason handedness isn't really correlating to preference might have something to with our full shot games? My typical full shot shape tends to be a draw and I just 'read and execute' draw putts and chips better than I do cutters. Wonder if it's interrelated?

This isn’t something I’ve ever thought about, and I have the same lack of confidence when I stand over any putt. However, when I think back to long putts I’ve made (there aren’t many of them), all but one of them broke to the right. I don’t really know what that means (if anything), but it is kind of interesting to me.

Every putt is straight if you hit it hard enough.

i believe the mistake bias in our stroke is part of any preference. Everyone in my saturday morning group slices and or pulls putts. They don't see it but I can see it because it was me for 25 years. Having a flat 15foot putting matt, I see my natural mistake is a slight pull hook. I imagine that would help me on putts of a certain type but it would be bsaed on any bias I have in my line or intended line.

I suppose right to left sets up better for me (RH), but I'm pretty consistent at missing both.

I'm RH but have more success with left to right break. Seems I can read it easier, maybe because I'm left eye dominant.

Back