Right thing to do. (long Story

Beowulf

Villa Crawl Contestant
Reaction score
Handicap
Gravity
I have a little story to tell y'all about something that happened this weekend. As some of you may have read, I go to a lot of yard sales and auctions and buy a lot of old clubs to tinker with and some to put on Ebay. On Saturday morning, on my way to work I stopped at a yard sale. Inside the garage, the lady had two sets of clubs for sale. One was an old set of Wilson LT 1200 for $40. and the other was a mixed bag with a few spaldings, northwesterns and such for $20. I asked her if she would do both for $35 She countered with $40 and I said sure. As I was getting the money out I noticed a newer looking bag with the rain hood on behind her table. I said what about those, are they for sale. She said, everything had a price, what would I give her for them. I opened the hood and about passed out. There was an immaculate set of Burners(1.0) and an R11 driver. I said to her, tell me how much and I will see if I can do it. She rolls her eyes somewhat and says $100 bucks for all three bags. I said "deal" and dropped 5 twenties and ran to my truck with my booty!

Now here is where it gets funny. I was only supposed to work Sat & Sun, and planned on getting my NIKE irons out Mon, Tues... and so on. Well, we had some one call in sick so I ended up working Mon and Tues as well. 12 hour shifts no golf. Wed. I had an appointment to close on a property so I knew that the earliest was going to be Thursday for golf. But in all that time, I began to think about the incredible "steal" I had found. Thing is, I began to wonder if the woman knew what she was doing. Were they her clubs to sell? I had a hundred stories go through my head as to why someone would sell a thousand dollars worth of clubs for a hundred bucks. Well Wednesday evening, I loaded the TM up and went back to that house to see if things were legit. A man answered the door and I introduced myself and started to ask him if he played golf when this woman inside went ballistic screaming "That's Him, That's the Guy That Bought your clubs!! The man looked at me and asked what he could do for me. I told him if he wanted to give me back $60 bucks, I would be more than happy to let him have back his R11 and burners. He peeled off 3 twenties nearly as fast as I had peeled the original 5. He actually got choked up when I returned the set, invited me to play at his club(his treat) invited to eat dinner with them that night (I passed) And insisted that I take the other $40 back as well and keep the old clubs. I didn't take the money, but on my drive home, I gotta tell ya, I felt like a Million Dollars. It was the right thing to do!

Wow dude, that's a pretty cool gesture. Did she just not realize that those clubs were not for sale?

Very cool. I would guess that most people wouldn't have given it another thought.

That was a great thing to do, I bet the wife got a real telling off from the husband when he found out. Not sure how many other people would do the same thing though, heck not even sure if I would have done so

Good on you for deciding to be honest, after you took them for $60... lol

He really didn't, since he gave her $100 for the first two bags (40 bucks was her price) plus the $60 bonus bag. He just got his 60 bucks for the third bag back.

Thats what I didn't really convey very well in the story. I did feel bad, guilty, wrong and a host of other things. I began asking myself things like what kind of a jerk was I to do that. This woman had no idea what she was doing, she was just clearing the garage of "junk" taking space. Or maybe trying to raise money for necessities because the economy in TH is worse than sucking. I did take advantage and that really gnawed at me in the 48 hours I spent working. I just didn't feel right!

You're a good man. Way to be honest!

That's crazy but good on you! Can you imagine the wrath that woman was going through when her husband made the discovery!

He really didn't, since he gave her $100 for the first two bags (40 bucks was her price) plus the $60 bonus bag. He just got his 60 bucks for the third bag back.
He paid $60 for the R11 and the Burners, that is what I meant

Thats what I didn't really convey very well in the story. I did feel bad, guilty, wrong and a host of other things. I began asking myself things like what kind of a jerk was I to do that. This woman had no idea what she was doing, she was just clearing the garage of "junk" taking space. Or maybe trying to raise money for necessities because the economy in TH is worse than sucking. I did take advantage and that really gnawed at me in the 48 hours I spent working. I just didn't feel right!
That karma will come back to haunt you, good on you for making the right choice, next time just let her know what she has first, then you won't have to go back, haha

Karma...good things will come your way!

Good on you Beo!!! Shows true class all the way!! GOOD KARMA COMING YOUR WAY!!!

That's crazy but good on you! Can you imagine the wrath that woman was going through when her husband made the discovery!

That thought had entered my mind as well. I use to have one heck of a temper and if that happened to me there could have been serious problems. Once I met the man, I was put a little at ease as he did not strike me as hot headed or violent. The way he asked me"what can I do for you" after I had practically stolen from him, seemed to tell me she was not abused from her mistake or my greed. (A comfort in itself)

Good on you for letting your conscience bring you back to do the right thing! :thumb:

Not everyone would feel the guilt you did.

first class all the way, doesnt get much better than that, glad you shared this

LOL!!! so messed up!

You did right and that's what counts in the First Tee program ;).

Good for you, it always feels good when you do the right thing.

Like Craig said though I would have asked her up front who's clubs they were and if she realized what was in the bag...that these were newer and a lot more expensive than $60. If she said they are still for sale I would have walked away with them and felt ok about it but odds are she wouldn't have sold them to you then.

As far as karma goes, I think you are about even on this deal...

Thats a great story!!! Pretty cool that you decided to go back.

On another note...Can you guys imagine if that had happened to you? hahahaha, come hoem one day and look for your clubs only to find out your wife SOLD them. For $60. hahahahaha

Thats a great story!!! Pretty cool that you decided to go back.

On another note...Can you guys imagine if that had happened to you? hahahaha, come hoem one day and look for your clubs only to find out your wife SOLD them. For $60. hahahahaha

I would've flipped! Good on you Beo that you're conscience got to you. It's a lot harder to do the right thing sometimes.

Damn thats a great story. I bet that guy was so pissed his wife sold his set. I would be infurriated. That's an awesome gesture!

Awesome story man. I'd like to think I'd have done the same thing as you, but it's harder than people think. I wish everyone would have this in them. An honest mistake probably made that guys wife go through hell for a few days and you fixed it.

Absolutely the right thing to do, and well done might I add! I hope the golf gods shine on you for your good deed.

Good for you man, that's a hell of a stand up thing to do, good karma is due to come your way.

That said, you are a better man than I for I do not think I would have returned the clubs. I would have "justified" myself by saying it's her and her husband's own dumb fault's for not not communicating before the garage sale and being clear that she shouldn't sell his clubs. That's probably not correct logic, but it's the selfish logic I would have used to convince myself it was ok. You are a better man than I, sir, I commend you for it. good karma is destined to you.

Back