casting isn't awful, though. you have to release the energy you've stored in your wrists. sometimes we cast because our brain knows we are not on plane. so we have to dump wrist angles and re-work the face position to try to get back to the ball. other times our lower body movement is inefficient, so we try to throw the head early to generate some power. the guys on tour who generate crazy lag aren't doing it on purpose; it's just a byproduct of good lower body movement and swing sequencing.

I'm starting to internalize this. My playing partners on Saturday said you rushed at the top. Indeed I did but I think root cause I was out of position at the top and the right hand (trail hand) just bails me out by taking over which releases early and for me creates think to fat shots depending on the swing and course conditions.

When I stay in sequence, the firm left arm starts to drop to approximatly waist height and the right hand takes over without any possible control from my mind; just happening way too fast. I find that any concious thought I have on the trail hand equates to trail hand taking over swing.

I'm starting to internalize this. My playing partners on Saturday said you rushed at the top. Indeed I did but I think root cause I was out of position at the top and the right hand (trail hand) just bails me out by taking over which releases early and for me creates think to fat shots depending on the swing and course conditions.

When I stay in sequence, the firm left arm starts to drop to approximatly waist height and the right hand takes over without any possible control from my mind; just happening way too fast. I find that any concious thought I have on the trail hand equates to trail hand taking over swing.
My trail hand has no choice but to remain flexed when I initiate the downswing with my lower body....and it remains flexed at impact.

Instead of talking, look at this shot of how the trail arm works - try slo-mo - first and last swing show it best.

Back