RIP Eddie Van Halen

Incredible talent and won’t be seen again for a long time. He lived a hard life but man what a life RIP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some performers capture a period of time in your life. For me VH was the SoCal beach / rock scene of my middle and HS years. The guitar riff in And The Cradle Will Rock after “Have you seen junior’s grades”...quintessential EFH to me.

Did the guy ever NOT have a cigarette going? :cool:
Video on the local news, he had the butt burning at the neck of the guitar, of course. (Super huge anti-smoking state.) :cautious:

They also cited "Jump" as one of his "best" songs ever... :cautious:

Oh the Sammy Haggar thing... :unsure::cry:

Loved the guy's music ........... and yes, Cancer SUCKS!!!

Yup. Played some poorly tonight in his honor. Just so he could know he was still The Man.

Anyone watching the Shriners tournament notice they cut to a commercial playing Unchained today?
No, but I'd love to know the product if you recall.

No, I mean the Golf channel was playing it as they cut to the commercial break, I think they call it bumper music, when they cut to and come back from commercials.
Thanks. That does not surprise at all. :cautious:(n)
HATE BONO. What a creep.

Last night on the news here in the twin cities, a guy was a friend of Prince, and his apartment was mysteriously firebombed years ago, and any Prince memorabilia he had was lost save for some items. He just release a book and he looked NERVOUS on screen. Very. The second time they ran the story that night, it was edited to not show the firebombed apartment. Just one in the whole complex. :cautious:

Look at the names mentioned in that article above. :eek:

Last edited:
I still remember the first time I ever heard Van Halen. Me and another friend had gone over to yet another acquaintance's house. As soon as we got there, he said, "You have to listen to this new band". He put the album on and cranked up the stereo and I heard Eruption and Eddie Van Halen for the first time ever. I was blown away.

RIP Eddie, thanks for all the years of me attempting to blow my ear drums out on your music.
Sounds similar to how I was introduced to Van Halen. The year was 1978. I was standing outside a classroom at my high school before 5th period class in 10th grade and one of my friends walks up all stoked and goes "Have you heard this new band 'Van Halen' yet??? Check this out!!!". He's holding a cassette player, hits 'play', and I hear Eruption for the first time. Mind. Freaking. Blown. I've been a fan of Van Halen ever since that day and their music has been like the soundtrack to my life. They're still in heavy rotation in my listening and almost every song brings back a memory of some time.

RIP Eddie. Thanks for all the great tunes, and for sharing your rare and awesome gift with the world. You were definitely one of a kind.

My Van Halen story. Met a guy in high school and he said his uncle was the tour manager for VH, I wasn't sure whether or not to believe him but I've never been a confrontational guy when people are telling stories. So I took it with a grain of salt. Then I went to his house and his bedroom was littered with VH paraphernalia and not the stuff you buy at a concert. Broken beat up drumsticks and picks galore, a broken guitar. Candid signed photos all over the walls and this was 1983 so no downloading stuff from the internet. Bandannas and torn t shirts signed by the whole band etc. His room looked like a Van Halen pawn shop.

Then he tells me that in the song Unchained when Dave says 'That suit is you, you'll get some leg tonight for sure, tell us howww you do!" And the guy comes back from what sounds like the control room "C'mon Dave gimme a break" That guy is his uncle. Again, don't know the validity of that story, but he wasn't lying about having some kind of connection to the band.

I listened to Poundcake yesterday and got bummed out about EVH and my youth being gone.

I listened to Poundcake yesterday and got bummed out about EVH and my youth being gone.
The whole 1984 album does that to me. I was a bright-eyed 21 year old when that album came out, makes me wonder how I got from there to here so darn fast! VHII is even worse - I was 16 when that album dropped, it takes me back to summers at the beach with my high school buds. I don't know why those two albums in particular out of all of them, but both of them make me feel real nostalgic and wistful about my youth.

The whole 1984 album does that to me. I was a bright-eyed 21 year old when that album came out, makes me wonder how I got from there to here so darn fast! VHII is even worse - I was 16 when that album dropped, it takes me back to summers at the beach with my high school buds. I don't know why those two albums in particular out of all of them, but both of them make me feel real nostalgic and wistful about my youth.
Great music that reminds us of times of no responsibility, lots of partying without the harsh hangovers and chasing and catching tail. What's not to love?

The original Van Halen Album was the 1st one I ever bought with my own $, it was right after it came out, and I was like 13...
I listened to them till 1am after the news, and it was REALLY LOUD.

Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk

VH1 was like 1978. I spent that summer between 8th and 9th grade at the beach with friends. I have the same nastalgia and wistfulness as you.

VH1 was like 1978. I spent that summer between 8th and 9th grade at the beach with friends. I have the same nastalgia and wistfulness as you.
Yep, VHI was '78, VHII was '79. It was pretty hard for them to equal the first album, but II was a powerhouse also.

I'll go on record as saying I'm a fan of both the DLR and Hagar eras - they turned out a lot of great tunes all the way through and I couldn't pick a clear favorite between Dave and Sammy. The VHIII/Cherone thing - meh, but even still some good songs on that album. Eddie's tone changed over the years as he continued to tweak and fiddle with things, but it was always tasty.

Yep, VHI was '78, VHII was '79. It was pretty hard for them to equal the first album, but II was a powerhouse also.

I'll go on record as saying I'm a fan of both the DLR and Hagar eras - they turned out a lot of great tunes all the way through and I couldn't pick a clear favorite between Dave and Sammy. The VHIII/Cherone thing - meh, but even still some good songs on that album. Eddie's tone changed over the years as he continued to tweak and fiddle with things, but it was always tasty.
Yep, I'm right there with ya. Hagar was a great fit and they put out some awesome music. If I had to pick though it'd be the earlier original heavier stuff.

Always felt Haggar kinda really flipped the commercial switch for them, and early days were more raw fun and bad boy the way I like rock and roll.
Runnin with the devil to Pepsi commecials. The choice is clear for me, you'd be shocked to hear. "Right Now." ;)

Back