Reframmellator

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
The Pittsburgh Pirates radio broadcast is reporting that the New York Mets and Hall of Fame pitcher has died. He was 75.

He died Monday of complications from Lyme disease and dementia.

Last edited:
The first major league game I attended in August of 1969, Tom Seaver was the starting pitcher.

He was a heckuva competitor. I'll always remember his delivery, with that right knee on the mound.

Last edited:
One of the best ever. Glad I got to see him in a Red Sox uniform even if it was towards the end of his career. RIP Tom Terrific.

He was a heckuva a competitor. I'll always remember his delivery, with that right knee on the mound.

That delivery likely explains why he never had significant arm or shoulder injuries in his career.

I know he also pitched for the Reds, White Sox and Red Sox, he will always be remembered as a Met. Probably the best in franchise history.

He was the second greatest pitcher I saw as a young kid, only Nolan was better

Just read this myself....sad day

Watched him growing up, RIP

The Franchise

Growing up in a family of Mets fans, he was the standard.

His daughter and I graduated the same year from the same college - it was funny to see Tom Terrific lugging in a mini fridge into the dorm along with all the other dads. My mom almost fainted when she saw him on campus - she was a big fan.

The first major league game I attended in August of 1969, Tom Seaver was the starting pitcher.
My first MLB game was in Shea stadium Labor day weekend 1971 Saturday night a gift from the USO Tommy blanked the Phillies on a 4 hitter. Thanks for everything big boy.

A generational talent. Watched a lot of video of him when I was playing.

Maybe the best baseball game I ever saw in person was a pitchers duel between Seaver and Bob Gibson. Seaver won 2-1 with the help of a Cleon Jones late game home run.

Hurt because I was a Redbirds fan but Seaver was a great pitcher (maybe the best) in the late 60’s to mid 70’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe the best baseball game I ever saw in person was a pitchers duel between Seaver and Bob Gibson. Seaver won 2-1 with the help of a Cleon Jones late game home run.

Hurt because I was a Redbirds fan but Seaver was a great pitcher (maybe the best) in the late 60’s to mid 70’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bob Gibson - hoo boy, another competitor. As a Pirates fan, I remember four things about Gibson:
  1. The intimidating look on his face when on the mound
  2. The night Clemente hit a liner off Gibson's leg and broke it
  3. The GE commercial where he tries, unsuccessfully, to break a sheet of Lexan plastic
  4. His 1968 ERA - something like 1.12?

20 year career for a pitcher. Just unbelievable. How did those guys do it? Lots of nasty junk balls that didn't tax the arm as much I suppose.
Maybe it was just in the air/food/water back then? Pretty incredible.

Gibson was amazing for 6 or 7 years just didn't have the longevity due to an arm injury. In fact the game I was at was in 1973 and by that point Gibson was more of a control pitcher. Seaver was bringing the heat though....

Back