rlewis1323 full bag fitting at CC review/data (a positive experience!)

rlew

Regulators, 2023 Budget Golf Championship #MountUp
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Just got home from my full bag fitting at CC (this was the $100 promotion they ran) and was really pleased with the experience. I've wanted to go through this for some time and loved the chance to gather all this data and experiment a little bit. I worked with Greg at the Warrensville Heights, OH location.

I have zero ego with my golf swing so if anyone notices anything with this data that can be worked out, or perhaps target windows to shoot for, please feel free to point it out!

Overview

I went into this fully intending to come away with a new putter, and I did. I have a family member who wants my current putter, so even if I were to be fitted into exactly what I have, I had a clean slate to get something new. I also went into this fairly intent (but not married) to the idea of getting a SeeMore due to my inconsistency at setup. So was kinda leaning being fit into a SeeMore, specifically, but wanted to see where the road led. I was upfront with him that I'd likely buy a putter and was curious about driver but happy with my current setup.

We talked about a lot of things that could happen down the road with certain sections, but Greg wasn't overly pushing to upsell, which I appreciated after hearing some of the negative reviews. We might revisit some things in a year or two, and he mentioned if I do, it wouldn't be anything extra to re-do some of the swings and try some new things that are updated. I appreciated that. Perhaps it helped that I said I was fully intent on buying a putter, but, either way. Had zero pressure to do anything today.

Putter was the focus. Driver was second. And these two sections ended up being the most interesting. Irons/wedges/hybrids I was honest up front that I'd love to get the data and get some feedback from him, but I likely wasn't buying anything today unless it was eye-opening.

Irons, Wedges and Hybrids

Hit some irons, tested for length and lie and all of that, and the results were pretty consistent/good across the board. What I have was a pretty good fit for my swing. This was in line with a iron fitting I had at GolfTec earlier this year, but one I didn't much stock into because my swing was still extremely under construction and I was going through changes. Loved getting the data today.

Talked about wedges a bit, but I'd really like to remain in the cavity back options for now, so it was more a discussion on bounce options than switching anything out today. Hybrids I'm very happy with and just hit a few to get the data.

Takeaway with irons: Possible switch to stiff-flex shafts, as my swing speed was just in that window of possibly changing. But kinda close.

Screen Shot 2022-08-03 at 6.24.19 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-08-03 at 6.24.00 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-08-03 at 6.23.50 PM.png

Driver

This one was interesting. My driver swing is still extremely inconsistent. I've had trouble getting it down. So I hit my driver first to get a baseline. I love my current setup (with the Linq shaft from the mystery bag, what a great time that was!).

I was *shocked* at my swing speed. I had no idea I was hitting 105. Honestly, I swing a little too hard, for I had no idea. That would likely point to a switch to a stiff-flex shaft. And the problem: that spin rate hovering around 5,000 that's costing me distance.

My swing wasn't great with my driver. As I warmed up, it got a bit better. We switch to a stiff-flex, 55g shaft, and immediately the results flip. Spin rate drop to 3,000, though clubhead speed dropped quite a bit. Adjust to a stiff-flex 50G shaft (Tour AD Design XC-5), and I hit some really nice drives for me with a clubhead speed at 100. Dispersion and spin rate were *so* much better, instantly. BUT I also felt I made an adjustment as I swung and was just putting better swings on it.

So I ask to hit a few more with my driver, and yeah — a lot of it was the quality of swings. The last two with my current driver are right in line with what we were seeing as the improvement with the stiff-flex 50G shaft (my driver head is a Ping G410, stiff-flex was put into a G425).

So while perhaps down the road I might switch to a stiff-flex, I love my current driver shaft/setup and can stick with that, as the quality swings at the end were pretty close. I'd be curious for more feedback on this from THPers.

Like, look at the spin rates for swings 1-6 and then 7 and 8, which we added at the end.

Screen Shot 2022-08-03 at 6.23.06 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-08-03 at 6.23.15 PM.png

Putting

I loved going through the SAM PuttLab. Determined that my path is a bit out-and-then-in.

Straight arc of path, reduced rotation, which recommended mallet/square.

Closing rotation/path: recommended 30-45 degree toe hang. Face aim: 3.1* closed.

Launch conditions were 4.6-4.6* rise, actual loft of mine was 3*, shaft angle 1.8*, recommendation was 0.0 loft, but the fitter believed splitting some of the difference and going 1.0* would be best.

Recommended lie: 70*

Grip: medium (which is consistent all the way through the bag, I need midsize grips, which is also consistent from the GolfTec fitting.

So we try a few SeeMore mallets, an EVNROLL square and the Mizuno M-Craft square (oh man, those Mizunos are gorgeous, and this wasn't even the blue I would have gone with). I liked the square, but liked the RST more. I found that hiding the red dot wasn't an issue, but when I was at address, I was also slightly correcting my angle to perfectly balance the two white lines. That got my attention, and I really like the confidence that RST brings. So while I really liked the M-Craft, I got it down to two SeeMores, as I've been pretty determined to try RST and it felt great. I took some time comparing the SB20 and the mini giant deep flange and felt the best with the SB20 in my hands. Then picked out a SuperStroke Traxion Tour 2.0 red/white for the grip. And ordered! Looking forward to it.

So SeeMore Platinum SB20, 34", 1* loft, 70 lie, midsize grip. Can't wait!

and I’m glad my fitter was patient and not pushy, so this can be added as a positive review. Seems like it’s been hit or miss so I think I got lucky.

Last edited:
Enjoy these and all the details presented. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Glad it worked out for you! I cancelled mine after the negative reviews, and some contemplation on my part. I'll be better off getting another lesson than doing a fitting right now. So that's the plan. Just trying to decide if I go back to my same guy, or make a switch. Leaning towards a switch...

Keep us posted on the putter! I've been eyeing the seemore putters myself. I already switched to center shaft last year, but like the RST idea to help with consistent setup.

That is awesome. Happy you had a good experience and were able to go over what you were hoping to!!

A8245686-3629-4A86-93FB-246EE8FDD7C3.jpeg20F81C8E-8BFC-4507-A79E-02B25088550A.jpeg26492E0A-8289-4D89-9A26-3DD9817A6685.jpeg2FD4B92D-8960-4C98-8AEF-F47BCAE828EF.jpeg1E4B722C-4B21-4941-BE51-5BC1881AEDA1.jpeg7A0DA800-89C9-4515-B937-2889C52A682D.jpegAnd here’s what the PuttLab data looks like. That had to be printed.

Enjoy these and all the details presented. Thanks for sharing your experience.

appreciate it! I absolutely loved getting this data for the first time and going through the
Glad it worked out for you! I cancelled mine after the negative reviews, and some contemplation on my part. I'll be better off getting another lesson than doing a fitting right now. So that's the plan. Just trying to decide if I go back to my same guy, or make a switch. Leaning towards a switch...

Keep us posted on the putter! I've been eyeing the seemore putters myself. I already switched to center shaft last year, but like the RST idea to help with consistent setup.
It does seem pretty hit or miss based on the reviews. Some people said they couldn’t they the data sent to them, my fitter had sent it before I even left and was very open to me hitting some with my
Clubs just to get the data.

That is awesome. Happy you had a good experience and were able to go over what you were hoping to!!
Appreciate it! Exactly as I had hoped. Went into it expecting less based on many reviews.

that's awesome ... so what did you order?

Great read thanks for sharing. At your swing speed I would think you should be in stiff shafts particularly in the driver. For the driver the stiffer shaft will make your misses better. I swing driver in the mid 90s and play a stiff shafted driver when I dip to a regular my misses tend to get worse.

Happy to see you came away from this feeling good!

Last edited:
Great read thanks for sharing. At your swing speed I would think you should be in stiff shafts particularly in the driver. For the driver the stiffer shaft will make your misses better. I swing driver in the mid 90s and play a stiff shafted driver when I dip to a regular my misses tend to get worse.
Yep, that’s likely where I’m heading at some point. But was glad that a big part of the difference was really just swing quality. But I need dispersion help, so, eventually yes, I’ll need to

Glad to hear you had a positive experience. I have a full bag fitting next Tuesday. More time than any will be attributed to driver shaft and iron shafts. What I’ll be looking for I the way of replacement would be in hybrids. Have new putter that I was fit for. It might be fun to go through the sam putt lab experience however.

Glad to hear you had a positive experience. I have a full bag fitting next Tuesday. More time than any will be attributed to driver shaft and iron shafts. What I’ll be looking for I the way of replacement would be in hybrids. Have new putter that I was fit for. It might be fun to go through the sam putt lab experience however.
hope it goes well!

I have zero ego with my golf swing so if anyone notices anything with this data that can be worked out, or perhaps target windows to shoot for, please feel free to point it out!

Definitely see some improvement, especially with the driver. I know you said you like your current driver, but you are 100% leaving meaningful yards on the table with the current stick. Spinning it at 5000 is way, way too much. Your landing angle is higher than your irons!

With that said, you might be able to accomplish some meaningful gains just by experimenting with your driver set-up. Try teeing the ball up higher or putting the ball really far up in your stance. The latter should help you tilt your lead shoulder above your rear side shoulder and drive your path more up. To be clear, you shouldn't be leaning back, but rather simply tilting your shoulders. Weight should still be fairly evenly distributed at address position.

Curious - what is your current driver shaft weight?

Last edited:
Definitely see some improvement, especially with the driver. I know you said you like your current driver, but you are 100% leaving meaningful yards on the table with the current stick. Spinning it at 5000 is way, way too much. Your landing angle is higher than your irons!

With that said, you might be able to accomplish some meaningful gains just by experimenting with your driver set-up. Try teeing the ball up higher or putting the ball really far up in your stance. The latter should help you tilt your lead shoulder above your rear side shoulder and drive your path more up. To be clear, you shouldn't be leaning back, but rather simply tilting your shoulders. Weight should still be fairly evenly distributed at address position.

Curious - what is your current driver shaft weight?
I appreciate your response!

Yeah, I hadn't realized my swing speed has crept up like that, but then again I went a long time without playing. My driver swing has been extremely a work in progress and inconsistent. As I went through the fitting I could tell I was putting better swings on it.

I was also, if I'm being honest, probably giving it a little extra when I know the numbers will show and there are no consequences for a bad swing. But look at Nos. 7 and 8 with my driver compared to the 50g stiff-flex shaft. The numbers were much closer. Seems pretty clear I'll have to switch to a stiff-shaft at some point, but the overall difference in the data averages were a lot of user error on my part.

Tilting my shoulders is one of the things I've continued to work on, actually. Again, work in progress, we're getting there though. Also, the driver I hit that wasn't mine was 9*, and I'd be in a 10.5* like I am now.

I believe this current shaft, according to their website, should be 66g, but I'm honestly not sure — this was from a Mystery Bag and there was no question it was going in.

I was also, if I'm being honest, probably giving it a little extra when I know the numbers will show and there are no consequences for a bad swing. But look at Nos. 7 and 8 with my driver compared to the 50g stiff-flex shaft. The numbers were much closer. Seems pretty clear I'll have to switch to a stiff-shaft at some point, but the overall difference in the data averages were a lot of user error on my part.

Tilting my shoulders is one of the things I've continued to work on, actually. Again, work in progress, we're getting there though. Also, the driver I hit that wasn't mine was 9*, and I'd be in a 10.5* like I am now.

I'd bet the driver loft is doing a lot more work here to reduce the spin than the shaft. I can't tell what your directional miss is, but you might be able to turn down the loft on your current driver and replicate some of the better dynamics without paying a penny.

I'd bet the driver loft is doing a lot more work here to reduce the spin than the shaft. I can't tell what your directional miss is, but you might be able to turn down the loft on your current driver and replicate some of the better dynamics without paying a penny.
See that's interesting. So you're saying separate from any shaft changes, going from, say, 10.5* to 9* would help reduce that gap that I'm looking to close. Very interesting.

So, I made a decision, because putters are fun. When I was fit it was into a square/mallet sort of as an 1A, 1B-type situation. I was pretty determined to try SeeMore and had been using a mallet, so the SB20 was a great fit. But I was torn between that and the M-Craft IV. I've used a mallet for a long time to help with stability, but a blade has always felt a little more comfortable in my hands and I've always been better with distance control. The M-Craft IV was a nice balance there, and I LOVED how the ball came off the milled face. I was in there for quite a while, rolling putts, going back and forth, and finally decided to stick with what I came there to get.

I really like the SB20 and my lines have without question improved. At the same time, I've struggled with distance control a bit, which is a theme with me and mallets. So since I loved two putters and have considered two styles that were both technically fits, I decided to have some fun and bought the M-Craft IV as well (in black, was leaning blue, but the black is sharp, too).

So now I have both and can go back and forth if needed, run with what works, continue to work with one or the other or both, etc. etc. A family member buying my original putter helped here as well haha, and CC gave me an extra 15% the M-Craft IV.

I feel kinda weird about it but, like, it's fun! And my putting can use all the options!
3E25DB2F-19B9-4F28-B1CD-BA21DF05E8F1.jpeg40420711-CD1D-4AF4-A33C-FA22F16772DF.jpeg

Last edited:
Back