Robbery at the Range (+ other crimes!)

v3.0

Reaction score
Handicap
--
Most driving ranges in my area have a choice of mats and grass tees. Most of them charge an extra dollar for hitting of the grass. Fair enough right? It is just $1 after all! Unfortunately, most of the time when I get to the grass my first thought is: I am paying an extra dollar for THIS (insert < anagram!)?! The messy ground/grass conditions don't match any part of the golf-course: It ain't tee-box, it ain't rough, and it certainly ain't fairway!! Oh well! :banghead:

Other annoyances:

Unwashed muddy (or even sandy) balls. I stopped going to one range alltogether because of this. The choice was beating up my clubfaces badly, or clean every ball before a strike!

Uniform non-level lies: At one range I visit there seems to be only one choice of lie: Downhill!

Worn and cut :)act-up:) balls! At a few places some balls are worn flat so badly that they won't fly right. And the smiles should be on my face! If I find those in my bucket, they are going over the left or right fence.

And finally, my favorite: At one of the ranges they use found balls, and they use Sharpies to mark them as range property (like shown below)! I like it, because I line it up, then look for the very clear imprint of it on my club-face. But not everyone may care for that!

If any range owner is reading this: Clean the debris out of the mats once in a while. Thank you!

That's about it! I am curious to hear about the range crimes in your area!

StLCardsFan

Reaction score
Handicap
>0, <10
And finally, my favorite: At one of the ranges they use found balls, and they use Sharpies to mark them as range property (like shown below)! I like it, because I line it up, then look for the very clear imprint of it on my club-face. But not everyone may care for that!

I like these types of range balls. Yes, you have to be careful not to put idiot marks on your clubs, but most of the time, you are hitting better balls. I would rather hit a bucket of painted DT So/Lo's, and Noodles, then some junky range balls.

I do agree with the uneven lies and bad grass. Those ranges are awful and not even worth going to.

v3.0

Reaction score
Handicap
--
I like these types of range balls. Yes, you have to be careful not to put idiot marks on your clubs, but most of the time, you are hitting better balls. I would rather hit a bucket of painted DT So/Lo's, and Noodles, then some junky range balls.
I agree! What is also nice about these balls is that sometimes on a pure strike you can see the painted 'band' turn over on itself while it is in the air (like a putting line on the ball on a good putt).

provisional

Could Care Less
Reaction score
Handicap
10+/-
We are now paying $0.15 per range ball at Desert Rose. $6 bucket gets you 40+/- balls out of the ball dispenser. This I would consider a crime, but Billy Casper's people are keeping the course in better shape than American Golf did when they managed it. As for any poor range conditions, I would still hit out of those conditions. You can always find a patch of the good stuff.

This past weekend, at Cedar ridge in Utah, I paid $7 for a bucket that had 80-90 balls in it.

There is also a muni course in town that will take your greens fee if you are wearing a non collared shirt. Then tell you that you need a collared shirt to play. No refunds on the greens fee. So unless you a have collared shirt stashed, you might have to buy one of there's, off the rack, for $30-$40 if you want to play. That is just robbery, pure, and simple on their part.

Smallville

#WeLoveYouAlex
Reaction score
Handicap
In Flux
If I went up with a non-collared shirt and they took my money and then told me I couldn't play and wouldn't refund my money, I think I'd take my spot at my scheduled tee time. They should ask before you pay if you have a collared shirt if you're standing there without one.

Diane

Reaction score
Is it posted? A lot of courses have the dress code posted on the scorecard or in the pro shop.

provisional

Could Care Less
Reaction score
Handicap
10+/-
It says "proper attire required". I have seen this pro shop do this twice to people while waiting to pay my green fees. Yes the person should have read the signage, but to not offer a refund is just highway robbery. A $40 dollar greens fee becomes, $65-$80. Yesterday I saw that Tiger and others were not wearing shirts with collars. If they don't have to wear collared shirts then the "proper attire" definition needs to be re-examined for this muni.
Is it posted? A lot of courses have the dress code posted on the scorecard or in the pro shop.

Harry Longshanks

ILikeBigPutts&ICannotLie
Reaction score
It says "proper attire required". I have seen this pro shop do this twice to people while waiting to pay my green fees. Yes the person should have read the signage, but to not offer a refund is just highway robbery. A $40 dollar greens fee becomes, $65-$80. Yesterday I saw that Tiger and others were not wearing shirts with collars. If they don't have to wear collared shirts then the "proper attire" definition needs to be re-examined for this muni.
Prov-

Mocks are considered collared shirts. (Although I dislike them and would prefer that the pros not wear them.)

D-Rock

Reaction score
Handicap
scary
Regarding the taking your green fee and not giving a refund...perhaps the BBB could help out in that sort of case? I know I'd be furious.

Diane

Reaction score
ProV - Sounds like a scam. It surprises me they get away with it. I have been in pro shops when people were told that they couldn't wear jeans or a t-shirt to play, but it was prior to paying. I remember it was a big transition when they started making women's golf shirts without collars in the 80's. It took many courses a long time before they allowed them.

provisional

Could Care Less
Reaction score
Handicap
10+/-
Good point you have made. Any shirt the has a part that surrounds, or fastens around the neck, that part of the shirt is considered the collar. Hence, almost all shirts are consider to have a collar, and are then collared shirts. . However, when it comes to golf, my thoughts are if you can't fold it up, down, button it, or need to iron it, it is not considered a collared shirt at many golf courses. Those courses need to re-think their "proper attire" definition in this newer era of the game of golf. :D

Prov-

Mocks are considered collared shirts. (Although I dislike them and would prefer that the pros not wear them.)

OFvar

The Drive to Win
Reaction score
Handicap
i never hit on my mats at outdoor ranges... i think its counter productive(for irons anyway)

but winter i use these special padded ones at the Sports and Medicine center in my area

Welcome to The Hackers Paradise

Don't just play golf, live it!

Register Log in