Robot Vacuums? Good or waste?

jdtox

Lord Tox
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
Having put in new laminate flooring in my house and having almost zero carpet I have decided to start looking at robotic vacuums to help keep the floors clean and pet hair free. Does anyone have a recommendation or are they all about the same? I have heard good things about the DeeBot, mixed things about the iRoomba and recently good things about a brand called MooSoo.

Lets here your thoughts...

I have had a Eufy robovac for about 2 years now, and I do really like it. I have 2 cats, so we do have pet hair problems, but Eufy handles it pretty well. I run it about every 2-3 days, and it does a good enough job. I'll probably only run my full miele vacuum about every 2-3 weeks now.

It does have some sensors to avoid steps, which is great, and it isn't slamming into my walls and damaging paint. Decent suction, large enough container that it can run the whole main floor without much issue. Only real issues I have is when it traps itself somewhere (it likes to close the door on itself in the bathroom, or it grabs a ribbon-like cat toy and gets it wound in the roller, but it does let out an audible sounds letting me know if something happens or it traps itself on something where it cannot move (though it would run itself out of juice in the bathroom for a couple hours if I don't catch it).

Overall i'm pleased with it. I keep it on my main floor, which like you has no carpet. I think good robot vacuum's do a great job of general cleaning and removing a large percentage of dust, debris. and pet hair, and to it's credit, eliminating the need to manually vacuum as often. That said, nothing can truly replace the power and ability of a manual vacuuming session with a great cleaner (like a miele), but robot vacuums can make the necessity/desire of that manual cleaning, less frequent.

edit: here's a really good site for tech reviews. they have quite a few on robot vacuums.
https://www.rtings.com/vacuum/reviews/best/robot

Dude Roomba is life saver. You've been here to my house, my back wouldnt survive and we know who'd be getting a stern talking to if Mrs Chef came home and there was dog prints and dirt on the floors.

We have one here. It is literally just an obstacle on teh floor as we never use it anymore. With no furniture, I am sure they work great. With plenty of furniture, it was constantly getting trapped or doing the same area over and over again.

I think they are stupid, haha

We have one that used to run three times a week, getting stuck under whatever it could (fridge, chairs) within 30 minutes and then I'd have to go rescue it. I've since unplugged the damn thing because I will not be a save to technology :ROFLMAO:

• Admin
But like is the $200 version good enough or do I need the $400 version?

My Deebot is quite possibly my favorite thing in the world. I have it set to run daily and with 2 dogs and 2 cats, it’s amazing how much it picks up on a daily basis. 100% worth it!

I’ve wonder about these as well & whether they would be more of a nuisance over me grabbing a broom & a mop.

Not to mention I could see the dog doing this chasing that thing all over the place..

We have the Deebot M80, which was under $200 when we got it. Works just fine!

We have one here. It is literally just an obstacle on teh floor as we never use it anymore. With no furniture, I am sure they work great. With plenty of furniture, it was constantly getting trapped or doing the same area over and over again.
That makes sense. I'm just tired of vacuuming every day. My golden retriever sheds A LOT so pet hair is an issue, just started thinking it could help but definitely not looking for a hassle or a waste...kind of like a treadmill haha

That makes sense. I'm just tired of vacuuming every day. My golden retriever sheds A LOT so pet hair is an issue, just started thinking it could help but definitely not looking for a hassle or a waste...kind of like a treadmill haha

I think a lot of it will come down to the type of furniture you have. For instance our couch it would get stuck between couch and ottoman every god damn day. Or by our dining room table chairs. Then its a game of "What the hell is that noise" only to find out its the vacuum again and it was on its side or stuck just running constantly between two chair legs.

We received an "early" Roomba... We don't have modernistic, Scandinavian, minimalist décor. It was fine when driving it with the remote to get it familiar with the layout. The first time we let it go on it's own while we were out, it got stuck under the runner of a rocking chair and that was that.

we have wood laminate throughout, never used one, had never thought of one untill we bought eufy security, now im looking at the robot..
and we have a frenchie who sheds..

This right here. And if you rearrange said furniture, you have to go through the mission of resetting the floor plan and having the robot learn the new layout. It just sits in the corner now. It’s in timeout with a dunce hat on to boot!

Ironically, those who most need one of these little robot vacuum cleaners are the people who should be most ambivalent about letting them run unattended. Why? Well, with cats is mostly hairballs and, well, anything else they care to regurgitate on a regular basis. I can testify, first-hand, to what happens to a vacuum should you be so unwise as to run over fresh cat vomit. It ain't pretty.

But dogs? Ha! There is no way I'd let one of these things run unattended if we had a dog. Here's why: The Poopastrophe
rofl.gif

My Roborock S6 has been a life saver. Highly recommend.

I’m not sure what vacuum my brother had, but it was useless. Seemed to bounce back and forth between the same furniture, getting stuck. My S6 has not gotten stuck once. And I’ve watched it go towards our cat or some other random object on the floor. Recognize it. Circle around it. And then go back and get that spot on the way back to the base. It’s genius.

So let me tell you a story. When I bought a robot vacuum 4 years ago we had a Golden Retriever (huge shedder) and an Irish Setter (minor shedder), both my kids were under 12 years old, and we were running all the time. I was tired of having a dirty floor all the time. We also had wood flooring everywhere so I figured it would be an easy task for the Roomba.

I got the thing in and set it up. I ran it at noon everyday and let it clean the whole first floor. Our floor was never cleaner. I was a hero in my wife's eyes and I thought for sure it was the best $300 I ever spent. I had visions of never having to vacuum again and always having a spotless floor. Everything was unicorns and rainbows.

One day about 4 weeks after purchase I came home and opened the door to our house and was immediately hit with a very foul smell. The next thing I noticed was a dull layer of grime on all of our wood floor. I checked the living room and noticed one of the dogs had diarrhea in the floor. I also noticed the Roomba had run right through the diarrhea and then continued on it's merry way smearing it all over the rest of the first floor. The Roomba also had the gunk all up inside of all of it's inner workings.

I set the Roomba out in the garage for later cleaning and spent 4 hours moving furniture around mopping poop off our entire first floor which included our bedroom and under our bed. I never ended up cleaning the Roomba and just tossed it in the trash 6 months later.

Been doing floors the old fashioned way ever since.

Last edited:

I think this is an item where you get what you pay for. I’ve seen some that appear worthless and others that are super smart and effective.

this.. they dont really clean either.. just kinda push stuff around. On hard floors, it may work a bit better.

Man I feel like I reading Amazon reviews, some glowingly good and others just awful haha

Don't have one. Hardwood floors just use the swifter sweeper.

So let me tell you a story. When I bought a robot vacuum 4 years ago we had a Golden Retriever (huge shedder) and an Irish Setter (minor shedder), oth my kids were under 12 years old, and we were running all the time. I was tired of having a dirty floor all the time. We also had wood flooring everywhere so I figured it would be an easy task for the Roomba.

I got the thing in and set it up. I ran it at noon everyday and let it clean the whole first floor. Our floor was never cleaner. I was a hero in my wife's eyes and I thought for sure it was the best $300 I ever spent. I had visions of never having to vacuum again and always having a spotless floor. Everything was unicorns and rainbows.

One day about 4 weeks after purchase I came home and opened the door to our house and was immediately hit with a very foul smell. The next thing I noticed was a dull layer of grime on all of our wood floor. I checked the living room and noticed one of the dogs had diarrhea in the floor. I also noticed the Roomba had run right through the diarrhea and then continued on it's merry way smearing it all over the rest of the first floor. The Roomba also had the gunk all up inside of all of it's inner workings.

I set the Roomba out in the garage for later cleaning and spent 4 hours moving furniture around mopping poop off our entire first floor which included our bedroom and under our bed. I never ended up cleaning the Roomba and just tossed it in the trash 6 months later.

Been doing floors the old fashioned way ever since.

Thats is horrible.. It is a touch funny as well from the outside. But I would haven so mad if it was me.. At least it was not carpet everywhere..

Back