Robot Vacuums? Good or waste?

We like ours. Sure it gets stuck plenty, but most days it is full of black fur that we wouldn’t have picked up without it. We still vacuum manually, but the house is fractionally cleaner between vacuums. Plus, there are times we tell the kids to make sure their floor is clean enough for the robot and we will then just put it in the room and close the door for a few hours. We bought a cheap one a few years ago

So let me tell you a story. When I bought a robot vacuum 4 years ago we had a Golden Retriever (huge shedder) and an Irish Setter (minor shedder), oth my kids were under 12 years old, and we were running all the time. I was tired of having a dirty floor all the time. We also had wood flooring everywhere so I figured it would be an easy task for the Roomba.

I got the thing in and set it up. I ran it at noon everyday and let it clean the whole first floor. Our floor was never cleaner. I was a hero in my wife's eyes and I thought for sure it was the best $300 I ever spent. I had visions of never having to vacuum again and always having a spotless floor. Everything was unicorns and rainbows.

One day about 4 weeks after purchase I came home and opened the door to our house and was immediately hit with a very foul smell. The next thing I noticed was a dull layer of grime on all of our wood floor. I checked the living room and noticed one of the dogs had diarrhea in the floor. I also noticed the Roomba had run right through the diarrhea and then continued on it's merry way smearing it all over the rest of the first floor. The Roomba also had the gunk all up inside of all of it's inner workings.

I set the Roomba out in the garage for later cleaning and spent 4 hours moving furniture around mopping poop off our entire first floor which included our bedroom and under our bed. I never ended up cleaning the Roomba and just tossed it in the trash 6 months later.

Been doing floors the old fashioned way ever since.

This is the warning of all warnings against running it while not at home. I can’t even imagine that crime scene. :oops:

Thats is horrible.. It is a touch funny as well from the outside. But I would haven so mad if it was me.. At least it was not carpet everywhere..
I was so ticked while cleaning, but I earned the right to laugh since then, which is really all you can do. It's a great story to tell when someone asks about these things.

we have one and use it a few times a week to keep up with the pet hair between real vacuuming. It picks up a lot and navigates quite well.

Ours is a few years old and picked the eufy RoboVac 11 due to reviews and quiet sound.

We just got a Roborock a month or so ago. I admit that I thought it was stupid when Mrs SirShives started taking about one. I love it now. We don’t have pets so no 💩 issues to report. Its easier to use nightly than dragging out our 800 pound Kirby. We can set it to spot clean around the table and can block off rooms that have 1000 toys still on the floor.:LOL: Overall I highly recommend. Worth the money.

We had one. Ended up giving it away.

my wife loves ours. i do think it keeps the tile floors much cleaner. we didn't buy the most expensive one, so it's really loud.

I have no experience with them. We have some softer hardwood floors and our layout is a little odd. I have thought about them but wasn't sure it was worth the investment to find out it didn't work well. Or, without knowing how it would handle obstacles that the kids and dogs make of the floors at times.

Hopeful!!! I ordered a Roborock vacuum/mop machine on a cyber Monday special. But we have no pets, no kids, so optimistic.

I like mine. It runs on schedule. I wish I had one that emptied itself, but I don't. So I let it run, empty it when it tells me to. With how much we have to vacuum, I think it's a help. Does my dining room, hallway, kitchen, and living room. I haven't had any issues with it getting stuck yet(got it last Christmas). Does a decent job on my yellow lab's hair and is really good on the hardwood floor. Unfortunately, where it's located now, my 10 month old likes to crawl up to it and pull it off the dock. So I need to figure out a new location for it that is Leo proof. That will come after the holidays.

Our 2 Shepherds fill the bin on our Dyson almost daily so was really considering a robot. Definitely would need one with a bin I think. Good timing on this.

I bought my wife a Roomba for Christmas last year and she looked at me with odd looks at first but it has been an absolute godsend, she loves it. Does an amazing job.

Careful.

Those things vacuum? I thought they were cat trolleys.

We are looking at getting one for the new house. House will be single level, mostly laminate flooring and we are fairly minimalist. My wife is pretty OCD and we don't wear shoes in the house either, I'm thinking that it will be a good addition. If I had a pet I would be all over the expensive one that can recognize the poo and not spread the wealth. We are thinking the Roomba i3 as it does the straight lines and learns the house. We shall see.

We ended up getting the Roborock S5 Max and it is awesome. She even does some light mopping. Been very impressed with the mapping and the app. Really looking forward to moving to our new, single level house but for now I’ve got maps saved for up and down stairs. She’s not perfect, but I’m impressed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We've had a Roomba since the first one came out and wouldn't live without one. As with most things like this (e.g. automatic sprinklers and pool sweeps), they're not perfect nor are they maintenance free, but they will significantly cut the time you spend cleaning. The dangers of furniture and what comes out of either end of a pet are real, just spend a few seconds making sure the coast is clear before kicking it off. Even with moving a few chairs and checking for cat puke, it's a huge timesaver and will keep your home looking far better between real cleanings.

We have one and it is nice because we have 2 little girls that somehow crush cookies and drop little bit everywhere! It helps my wife not lose her mind.

I got one from my parents for Christmas. I have hardwood floors, but carpet in the bedrooms. I think it does a commendable job overall. I have three dogs and two of them shed pretty good. It keeps the floors clean of the extra hair and it gets under the beds really well. I (and my oldest daughter) have allergies and I think it's helped keep those down a bit more from less hair. Plus, it saves time. I was cleaning the floors at a minimum of once a week, now the bot does them every day. Sure I have to go back with a wood/floor cleaner to get some spots with smudging and things like that, but for hair and small debris...I'm happy with it. Happy enough to know I'll get one for the basement when I finish it (flooring and carpet) in the next few months.

We have a Roomba and it has been great. We have a relatively low shedding dog and it does a good job of picking up what he does shed. It is loud though. Needs a muffler. lol You have to turn up the volume on the TV if the Roomba is running.

similar to others, more annoying and frustrating to use vs any benefit. it has been unplugged in the corner for a long time.

I got one during a Cyber Monday say a couple years back. I like it, but my wife hates it. I just like to let it run while I'm working and yeah it gets stuck, but I'm Ok with it taking it's time. My wife has no patience and wants things done now.

So we alternate between using it and a regular vaccum quite a bit. I imagine if I had one that emptied it self and we didnt' have so many young kids toys around we'd use it a bit more.

Mine has been set back up since the holidays are over. I've got it on a schedule and it does my 3 main rooms and hallway decently enough where I feel I don't need to go crazy and run the other vac as much.

Back