Rock Bottom Golf - Rock Bottom Customer Service

bbuonic81

Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 13.1
I feel like I recall a thread or two from a long time ago, but I wasn't able to pull them up, so maybe I was mistaken, but I wanted to share a pretty rough customer service experience with all you THPers in case you're pondering where to order something from.

I don't always shop Rock Bottom Golf, but sometimes the deals are too good to pass up (e.g. a couple of weeks back, I picked up three dozen ChromeSofts for something like $60.00 shipped). I've never had any real issues with them, but my most recent order (and the customer service since) has really rubbed me the wrong way.

I've been working on a putter project - cutting down a belly length putter, some paintfill, a regrip - and needed to pick up a SuperStroke grip. I had $25 in credit to Rock Bottom Golf and they were running a free shipping promotion, so I ordered since I could get the grip I wanted (a Counter Core Flatso 3.0) for $9.99 to my door.

[START RANT]
Ordered in the middle of last week and the grip arrived Monday...but it was the wrong grip. Figured this wouldn't be a huge deal - snapped a couple of pictures, sent an e-mail with my original order confirmation. Based on other online purchases (including golf purchases), I thought this would be rectified by Tuesday morning or so - new grip would get sent out, incorrect grip would get returned...no muss, no fuss. Tuesday afternoon rolls around and I finally receive a response saying they've sent me a return shipping label and to let them know when the wrong grip was at UPS so they could work on getting me out the right grip. The thing that was a little strange was that they said "we must confirm that your order is in fact incorrect and the only way we are able to see that is if we see that your original order is on it's way back to us." I was pretty sure that pictures would take care of that...also, not quite sure how it being in the possession of UPS proves anything. I ship the package back yesterday and send them back an e-mail saying so. This morning, I get a response saying the correct grip is not in stock and they have to issue a refund...except I was able to add the grip to my cart on the website this morning.

Looks like I'll need to use up my store credit at some point, but that'll probably do it for me for RBG. Good thing THP has the Budget Golf partnership.

[END RANT]

I feel like I recall a thread or two from a long time ago, but I wasn't able to pull them up, so maybe I was mistaken, but I wanted to share a pretty rough customer service experience with all you THPers in case you're pondering where to order something from.

I don't always shop Rock Bottom Golf, but sometimes the deals are too good to pass up (e.g. a couple of weeks back, I picked up three dozen ChromeSofts for something like $60.00 shipped). I've never had any real issues with them, but my most recent order (and the customer service since) has really rubbed me the wrong way.

I've been working on a putter project - cutting down a belly length putter, some paintfill, a regrip - and needed to pick up a SuperStroke grip. I had $25 in credit to Rock Bottom Golf and they were running a free shipping promotion, so I ordered since I could get the grip I wanted (a Counter Core Flatso 3.0) for $9.99 to my door.

[START RANT]
Ordered in the middle of last week and the grip arrived Monday...but it was the wrong grip. Figured this wouldn't be a huge deal - snapped a couple of pictures, sent an e-mail with my original order confirmation. Based on other online purchases (including golf purchases), I thought this would be rectified by Tuesday morning or so - new grip would get sent out, incorrect grip would get returned...no muss, no fuss. Tuesday afternoon rolls around and I finally receive a response saying they've sent me a return shipping label and to let them know when the wrong grip was at UPS so they could work on getting me out the right grip. The thing that was a little strange was that they said "we must confirm that your order is in fact incorrect and the only way we are able to see that is if we see that your original order is on it's way back to us." I was pretty sure that pictures would take care of that...also, not quite sure how it being in the possession of UPS proves anything. I ship the package back yesterday and send them back an e-mail saying so. This morning, I get a response saying the correct grip is not in stock and they have to issue a refund...except I was able to add the grip to my cart on the website this morning.

Looks like I'll need to use up my store credit at some point, but that'll probably do it for me for RBG. Good thing THP has the Budget Golf partnership.

[END RANT]

Don't mean to pile on, but I've had some recent troubles with RBG too. In fact, seems like ever since they made some changes to their website (3-4 months ago) that things changed. Incorrect items being sent, orders being cancelled because it's out of stock...ironically, the same thing you just encountered.

I have removed myself from their daily email list. Like you, I love that THP has paired up with Budget Golf as I have been ordering from them for many years.

I have never had issues in like 6 orders but haven't ordered since the website change because I hated it so much. Good decision it seems.

It happens everywhere... Have had orders goofed at Rock Bottom. Just got some stuff from Budget y'day. Five gloves, a towel, a hat, and a 58 degree MD2 wedge. Was supposed to be S grind, I got a C grind... Ah well.

Ordered stuff from 2GG Apparel. They sent an RBL polo instead of RGB. A quick email and the right shirt is on the way with a return email... You generally get better service the more important each order is for a company.

I honestly don't see anything that would indicate rock bottom service. I think it's unreasonable to expect personalized brick&mortar service from an online warehouse with constantly fluctuating stock.

It happens everywhere... Have had orders goofed at Rock Bottom. Just got some stuff from Budget y'day. Five gloves, a towel, a hat, and a 58 degree MD2 wedge. Was supposed to be S grind, I got a C grind... Ah well.

Ordered stuff from 2GG Apparel. They sent an RBL polo instead of RGB. A quick email and the right shirt is on the way with a return email... You generally get better service the more important each order is for a company.

Not expecting perfection, mistakes happen. On the other hand, having some semblance of how customer service should work will make or break a company now, due in large part to customers having platforms to voice their experiences. RGB seems to have adopted the Walmart approach -- discount prices, vast offerings, limited service. Nothing wrong with that business model, but it hasn't always been that way for RGB.

They aren't the fastest, but I've had decent luck with my recent orders, and fairly good communication, but their response time isn't great, you certainly play a waiting game.

I am glad I am not the only with a RBG issue as I have been reluctant to post this. I bought two of the "ammo boxes of new E6" a couple months ago. I noticed right off the bat when playing them, they scuffed really easy. I would hit a iron shot into a soft, wet fairway and the ball would be badly scuffed. I play them a few times since and it's the same thing. I really feel that these may have been re-finished balls by how easily they scuff even though stating they are new ball that the factory ran out of packaging for. They were also 3 year old series E6 but I was OK with that if they were actually new balls.

I bought a sleeve of E6 and B330RX from the Pro Shop, both were very durable especially the B330RX. I have now made the 330 my gamer and will not buy any bulk balls again. I thought about sending the unopened box back but shipping cost makes it not worth the effort. I'll keep them for crappy weather winter golf and a reminder to not buy balls in bulk again....

I honestly don't see anything that would indicate rock bottom service. I think it's unreasonable to expect personalized brick&mortar service from an online warehouse with constantly fluctuating stock.

Not personalized service - just accurate service. Contacting them via another means (chat instead of e-mail), they were able to confirm that the item was in stock.

Not expecting perfection, mistakes happen. On the other hand, having some semblance of how customer service should work will make or break a company now, due in large part to customers having platforms to voice their experiences. RGB seems to have adopted the Walmart approach -- discount prices, vast offerings, limited service. Nothing wrong with that business model, but it hasn't always been that way for RGB.

This exactly. The idea that something like "once it's in UPS possession, we'll be able to know the order was incorrect" is part of your incorrect order policy is just silly - it doesn't do anything.

I had a similar experience when adding something to my cart to purchase and then go to check out then it was out of stock. It is annoying, but it happens. Other than that I haven't had any real issues as of yet with them. I just ordered 3 dozen personalized B330RX and 3 grips using the $30.00 off a $100.00 so I got a pretty good deal. Hopefully there aren't any issues with the order.

Sounds like you may have gotten a bad representative, rather than being reflective of the overall company. I emailed them on Tuesday asking for actual photos of a used club they have listed on their site and they sent me pictures of everything I requested, including the shaft specs, by the next morning.

But, I also don't deal with them very often, so my experience is limited.

I stopped buying from them once they brought Daly into the mix.

That sucks, I guess I'm lucky I never used them until they did that 50%trade in a few months back and I had over 400 in credits , they sent me everything I ordered pretty fast , then there was a price match gurantee they also honored and gave me credits

Sent from my LEX727 using Tapatalk

So, since I did rant here, I figured I owed an update as well.

After several modes of contact (e-mail, chat, Twitter, etc.), this looks like it should get resolved. There was some sort of system error on their side and they should be sending out the right grip today. Just would have been nicer to have it resolved without so many hoops to jump through.

So, since I did rant here, I figured I owed an update as well.

After several modes of contact (e-mail, chat, Twitter, etc.), this looks like it should get resolved. There was some sort of system error on their side and they should be sending out the right grip today. Just would have been nicer to have it resolved without so many hoops to jump through.

Perhaps they monitor social media....? Hmmmmm.

sounds to me like there a miscommunication and RBG didnt communicate very well up front.

Glad you/they got it sorted out.

Things like this happen often in retail environments. Ive been on both ends of this situation.

sounds to me like there a miscommunication and RBG didnt communicate very well up front.

Glad you/they got it sorted out.

Things like this happen often in retail environments. Ive been on both ends of this situation.

with the sheer amount of SKUs these gigantic warehouses have, mistakes happen

RBG was awesome for me back in like 2005 / 2006. Recently, it seems like they're service has gone down hill.

I have made many purchases from RBG and no issues. However since THP partnered with BG thats my go to place now. I made a purchase today from BG and went off without a hitch. Plus the extra 15 percent off is pretty sweet

Really frustrated with RBG right now. Ordered an Epic SZ with some credit I had with them on 2/27. It was supposed to arrive today. Just got an email stating it would be sent out 5/4. That's over 2 months from when the order was originally placed. I know the lead time on the epic is not that long.

I had an issue with them last year with a 4 hybrid. Ordered a regular flex and they sent me stiff flex (though their personal packaging said "regular" on it, the shaft stated "S Flex"). I went through three rounds of sending it back to them, only for them to return me a "regular" flex club that was still "S Flex" (they were literally sending me back the same club). In the end, we got it sorted out (I never got the regular flex, they were sold out) but it did sour me for awhile on them.

Really frustrated with RBG right now. Ordered an Epic SZ with some credit I had with them on 2/27. It was supposed to arrive today. Just got an email stating it would be sent out 5/4. That's over 2 months from when the order was originally placed. I know the lead time on the epic is not that long.

Is it an exotic shaft? Even then that is pushing it, if not that is ridiculous.

Is it an exotic shaft? Even then that is pushing it, if not that is ridiculous.

It was a stock shaft Fuji pro 60

Just switched to a Fuji pro 72 that should speed things up they said.

It was a stock shaft Fuji pro 60

Just switched to a Fuji pro 72 that should speed things up they said.

yeah, that is pretty dang frustrating. If I get mine (that I ordered 3/25 w/stock 55 HZRDUS 800) before you.... well you should be REAL pissed.

I'll pile on the RBG hate train...

I ordered a SZ on 2/12 after some email back and forth about the "free next day air" delivery still up on their site. I got an email a day later saying it was back ordered until 3/15. I waited to contact them until the 16th when I didn't hear anything. Backordered until 4/13, and I wouldn't have heard about it if I didn't reach out.

I was pretty irritated at this point so I contacted Callaway to make sure I actually had an order, and to figure out why a stock club could take l more than two months to receive. To Callaway's credit they sent me a dozen Chromesoft balls for the hassle.

RBG meanwhile gave me a $20 credit without much of an apology. Basically just saying "we should have ordered more, this was a popular item."

I've used up the credit (Cobra Wedge on the way) but that'll be the last dime RBG sees from me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back