Rome, Italy - Has anyone spend anytime there?

Iceman!

THPer formerly known as "markm778"
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Are next cruise will have us spending a couple of days before our cruise in Rome.
Been struggling with were to stay and what to see, so I wanted to reach out to see if any THPers could give me some advice.

Are next cruise will have us spending a couple of days before our cruise in Rome.
Been struggling with were to stay and what to see, so I wanted to reach out to see if any THPers could give me some advice.

There’s almost too much to see there, man. The history is almost overwhelming. The catacombs are awesome, the forum, colosseum, Vatican City, all worth your time. Do you have a short list? I’d stay close to city center, near the Spanish steps - easy walking to a lot of the sights. Watch out for gypsies !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

one of my favorite cities i've ever been. just spectacular!

a guided tour through the vatican is a must.

a walking tour of the city is also a great idea.

We spent a few days there for our honeymoon.

We stayed here: https://www.theinnatthespanishsteps.com/ it was fantastic, super close proximity to the Spanish steps

There was a restaurant down the street from the hotel that was fantastic - the hotel recommended it - tons of great gelato as well - the best was a little shop across from the Vatican (I recommend it, cool to see the history there)

The coloseum was another great view

Tons of great restaurants in Trastevere as well.

The hill that overlooks the city (can't remember the name) was a cool visit too

I'll check with my wife and update with more details.

If you are into site-seeing and historical landmarks, then I would spend a day at Vatican City, and then another day venturing around to the other landmarks like the coliseum/roman forum, spanish steps, etc. If you want to get out of Rome while you are there it's a pretty short train ride (~2 hours) to get down Naples/Pompeii for some more historical site-seeing, and can even take a ferry ride over to Capri (my favorite location to visit) from Naples. If you would like to go to the beach while there and have a rental car, then I would recommend Gaeta or Sperlonga (a little over 2 hour drive south of Rome).

One item to note when visiting Rome - watch out for being pick-pocketed in crowded spaces/mass transit terminals. The last time I was there I vividly remember seeing a gypsy being handed items that children pick-pocketed while making their way through the terminal crowds.

The Vatican is amazing. The coliseum is as well. Trevi fountain is fun. Spanish steps as well. You can go out at night and find amazing food anywhere. We did Air BNB this past trip and it was a good experience and cost effective. Rome is huge but I will add it is dirty. They write on everything there. I prefer Florence and love Venice. The people are just lovely and kind.

Too much in Rome for a couple of days! If you love art and architecture, Vatican City for sure - if it’s still allowed, climb the steps to the top cupola.

I’m an archaeological nerd so I did all the Roman ruins like the Coliseum and the Forum. The Friday’s we were there, the area around the Piazza de Spagna becomes a huge crowd of folks so that’s a lot of fun. Especially if the set up street vendors roasted chestnut stands - yummy!

Regardless enjoy it!

Here is my trip. Going July 2019:

5cc0e2bb20ce08dfbf95413a21240d55.png

eat all the gelato you can. then eat more.

we spent a week in rome in 2016 and felt like we barely scratched the surface. we stayed right around the corner from trevi fountain which seemed to be okay location-wise. we didn't mind walking everywhere.

best decision we made was to take a guided tour (private if you can swing it) of the vatican museum and st. peter's.

I agree with what's been said. It's such an amazing city that spending just a day or two will leave you will a very strong desire to return. Have fun!

Thanks for the info so far, I really didn't expect so many responses.
If someone has a recent contact for private tours, I'll take them!

Do you have any time in/around Florence that you’d need a private guide / tour? I have an incredible person for there .

I don't have anything to add that hasn't been said so far. I did a bus tour with the wife while she was 7.5 months pregnant with our first in 2001. Rode the bus from Frankfurt, Germany all the way down. We saw so much I'll never regurgitate it all, but the highlights were the colosseum and Vatican City. We got lucky at the VC. The line was probably a couple hours long, but someone saw my wife sportin' the 7.5 month pregnant look and pulled some strings to get us literally to the front of the line. I bet we weren't in line more than 10 minutes.

I was there for New Years 2015. Amazing city, rich with history, but it was stupid cold when I was there. I'll echo the comments about pick pocketers, but just stay aware of your surroundings and you'll be fine. I think Vatican City is a must as well as the Colosseum. I went to a couple random restaurants (don't recall the names), but the food was amazing!

my wife booked through dark rome. small groups, but we really enjoyed them.

Wife and I were there Nov. 2015, with Rome as home base and visiting Venice, Florence, and Assisi. It's of course subjective but I found Assisi especially memorable because a calm and peaceful spirit pervaded the town, as if it was an extension of the Basilica of St. Francis. Below is a drone photo from the web (Basilica on right and town extending to the left).

assisi_zpskmeorovy.jpg

The pick pocket advice is real and shouldn't be underestimated. They're the ultimate profilers who see and hear everything. Now that the PSA is over; Rome is amazing. Depending on your length of stay, focus on the popular tourist sites because they're unique and worth seeing. You can easily spend the better part of day at the Vactican. This includes the museum, Sistine Chapel, St. Peter's, and St. Peter's square. We didn't visit Castle Sant'Angelo (sp?) but will next time. Coliseum, Spanish steps, Tevi fountain, catacombs, etc. You honestly can't make a bad decision. I visited the catacombs in Paris but heard the Rome tour is even better. A bit macabre but you won't find anything like it in Chicago!

Be careful in Naples too. My sister-in-law was standing next to her suitcase and turned away for 15-30 seconds. She turned back to see a guy walking away with it. She has no fear and immediately grabbed it and made a scene. The guy let go and walked off. Again, that stuff is out there. Helculaneum, Vesuvius, Positano and Capri are great.

Your itinerary looks fantastico. Buon Viaggo!

Rome, Italy - Has anyone spend anytime there?

Catholic or not, it’s a must visit to see the Sistine Chapel. You will be very surprised how small the Colosseum is inside. I am not a huge fan of the food in the restaurants in Roma. I would recommend traveling more south to Serento from Naples. I found the food and views much more Italian and not as touristy.

Your trip looks amazing.

Guided Vatican tours let you skip the line, a must if you want to see the Sistine Chapel. Check out Ted Talks, they have a great talk about the Sistine Chapel. I agree with the Inn At The Spanish Steps. We've stayed there twice, very convenient. Go to the Trevi Fountain early in the morning (like before 8AM) if you are going to see it. This area is very crowded throughout the day. Watch out for pickpockets, especially children, they tend to work in groups of 2 and 3. When entering a store, great the salesperson. It's considered rude not to. The traffic is insane. Wear comfortable shoes that you can walk at least 2 miles in. Some of the sidewalks are still brick and uneven and slick when wet. You need to get tickets in advance for the Coliseum or you will waste a lot of time in line. we've used Angel Tours in Rome and Florence, absolutely loved them. Also security at the major attractions is very tight - no backpacks or liquids, small purse and camera is fine. Have a great time, we're going back next fall too, can't wait. Ciao

@maric makes a really good point about walking. there ain't no ada requirements in rome. you have to be very mobile, and in good walking shape. we were dog tired, but i wouldn't have traded it for anything.

Back