Nice bit from Pete Pappas:

He's had 3 top 10s in majors in 20-21 and won the fedex in 2019. Managed to do that despite having one of the worst approach games on tour. If he puts it together, he's probably still the best player out there.

Ha ha, I love these threads. Pretty sure there was a similar Jordan Speith one too.

I don’t have anything against Rory but would have to say I don’t have high expectations either.

These guys all have so much pressure on them to do endorsements, be social media whiz kids, test/game new products, be the next Tiger or Jack…. and, oh yeah…. Play championship level golf.

I sometimes wonder how one of these guys would do if they just played golf, with the clubs and ball that suited them best and without being so tied up with other “responsibilities”.

But it’s all about money and, once you’ve got 100+ mil in your back pocket, i imagine it brings along a host of other distractions. I’m guessing it’s very difficult to maintain that same hunger to win or do what it takes to make it happen.

Big fan of Rory and would love to see him win again but a lot of competition out there now Morikawa, Rahm Dustin Brooks Bryson to name a few. Rory has all the ability in the world but just doesn’t seem to be able to grind out scores and has too many bogeys to win at this level, sure this is extremely frustrating for him and hope he manages to find his way back

This is why he's struggling IMO. He seems to be a very caring and empathetic person. That makes a great father and husband, but it can be a distraction to professional life at the beginning of a marriage or at childbirth as he rebalances his priorities and schedules. He'll be fine soon.
I love this post. Being a family man is way more important. He has the means to live life if he never makes a dollar again. He can concentrate on family as much as he wants. That makes him a winner no matter what!

Byron Nelson and Bobby Jones walked away from the game at an early age. Men are different and have different goals in life. Rory has won 4 majors and that alone puts him in a rarefied group of golfers.

Good Golfing ...

Tiger put unrealistic expectations on everyone for majors IMO.

So much of golf comes down to just luck off the draw... PGA players hit almost 300 shots every tournament, and the winner is decided by 1 or 2 strokes. Say there's a coin flip chance whether your wedge shot that holds the green vs lipping out, or your drive stops on the fairway rather than rolling out behind a tree. You basically have a whole filed of PGA pros out there flipping coins, and pretty much whoever gets the most heads that week wins.

In an equally skilled field, that means that winning tournaments is a random process. And that's pretty much what we observe. Phil goes from winning the Masters to missing cuts. Jon Rahm comes out of nowhere. Bryson goes hot and Bryson goes cold. It's luck of the draw.

Tiger didn't need luck because Tiger was literally that much better than every other golfer on the planet. In this post-Tiger world, we have maybe a dozen contenders running around who are consistently better than the field -- Rory, Koepka, DJ, Spieth, Morikawa, etc,-- but they're not miles above it and they're not miles above each other. So you'll see wins between them shake out pretty much randomly, with the odd Matsuyama-esque underdog in there. None of those guys will ever be a Tiger and finish top 2 every single time.

4 major wins for Rory is some damn good golf and is as good of a resume as anyone else playing today. But Tiger's shadow looms large.

Ha ha, I love these threads. Pretty sure there was a similar Jordan Speith one too.

I sincerely hope he gets back to major winning form. I am a big fan.

I still,consider Rory a threat. He just hasn't been able to get the putter going in a few weeks now. He still has the ability to hit amazing shots.

Also, I don’t care who you are….celebrity or regular guy, having a kid changes your thinking about things. While golf certainly is his job and was his #1 love, having a family can become A distraction to things. And, IMO that is ok. He’s human.

I’m not a big Rory fan, but I’m not ready to start throwing dirt on top of him either. He’s in a slump, has some momentous things happening in his life, and also plays in a deep field full of very talented opponents. I don’t think he’ll ever be dominant, but I don’t think he’s done winning either.

listening to him talk, i get the feeling he is in that place where golf may not be the most important thing...being a new dad and figuring out where that balance is will probably decide how he gets back to form, if he even does?

Form is temporary, class is permanent. Jack went from US Open in 1967 to Open in 1970 without winning a Major. Rory will come back.

These guys all have so much pressure on them to do endorsements, be social media whiz kids, test/game new products, be the next Tiger or Jack…. and, oh yeah…. Play championship level golf.

I sometimes wonder how one of these guys would do if they just played golf, with the clubs and ball that suited them best and without being so tied up with other “responsibilities”.

I think Rory probably takes his role as a professional golfer seriously, and that includes all the stuff that doesn't happen inside the ropes. I think he's looked to as a role model by a lot of the people out there, as well as a brand ambassador and all the rest.

I'll always give him credit for throwing cold water on that Saudi-funded super league idea. It seemed like that lost momentum pretty immediately after his comments on it.

I really am hoping for Rory to regain his form but that final 3 holes was tough to watch.

He's become a very streaky player.

But win a "run of the mill PGA event" is a bit disingenuous. His most recent wins include a WGC, The Players, and the Tour Championship.

2019, soon ro be 3 years ago recent. I feel his focus is waining.

Surprised he didn't hit driver on 18. The 3 wood left near 270 and he hit 5 wood ? in the water. Made bogey and missed the playoff.

As I said last year, he's streaky which means he's due.

I have to say….

Seems Rory choked. Tied for the lead prior to heading into a drivable par 4 and a par 5 to finish.

Very surprising.

I mean, golf is hard, and professional golf has never been more loaded than it is today.

He won the CJ cup in October against a stacked field. Had 7 top 10s last year and near the top of the leaderboard this week. His game is definitely close.

Seems like since he signed with Nike/Taylormade in 2017, a 300 million dollar deal, he has lost that fire in his belly. Combine that with more important things in life than career like family and he is just on cruise control I think. Not that I blame him. But I’m guessing he’s not up at 5am each day and hitting balls till dark. He’s so damn talented he can put in 75% effort and still be an elite player. It happens to a lot of athletes. Not everyone is chasing history like Tiger was at his age. I hope him, DJ, Jordan and that entire group that come up at that time can contend and win majors this year. But Rohm, Collin, Hidecki, JT, Brooks, Bryson are going to make those guys work for it. Cause they are up at 5am hitting balls till dark.

I watched the last six or seven holes and it was painful as you could see his confidence was waning. He just does not look comfortable when the pressure is on he was lucky to get away with a par on 17 on 18 he just look like he was lost. Unfortunately that’s the second tournament in a row over in Dubai I believe that he is basically let it get away from him. I hope he gets it back but he certainly needs to keep his confidence up for the entire 18.

My take last year is the same as my take this year. I don't think he's done winning yet, but he'll never be dominant - or even elite. He's one more very talented golfer in a deep field of very talented golfers, who will occasionally catch lightning in a bottle and win a tournament.

Back