Rory's fallible too?

Luchnia

You will never conquer golf.
Reaction score
Handicap
It was pretty wild watching Rory's two triples. It is one thing for us wannabe hacks to make mistakes, but I can imagine it must be a powerhouse of a mental challenge when you are recognized around the world the way Rory is. Rory is a fantastic golfer, has hit millions of balls over his career, and then we see he goes total "thrash cadet" on a couple holes at the Norther Trust event.

The pros know a horrendous shot the second the club is moving doward as it happens too. You can see it on their faces when they know the swing goes into the danger zone and not much good can come of it.

It was amazing watching Rory and reminded me of some of the shots I have done and seen with some weekend hackers I have played with. What were your thoughts when you saw it?

Rory can be frustrating to watch sometimes because he's so good but then he'll go out there and look like a 20 handicap sometimes. I think that's why Rory began studying Stoicism, he often seem to get in his own way.

People forget how often pro golfers hit bad shots. It happens all the time. They're constantly pointing left or right. They're short-siding themselves in bunkers. They're missing 40 feet right of a left-tucked pin when they were trying to be 10 feet right. They obviously hit lots of great shots that go exactly where they intended, but they also hit lots of shots that are nowhere near where they intended.

But pros mostly miss in areas that won't hurt them (at least when they're playing fairly well). If you meant to be 10 feet right of the pin and ended up 40 feet away, it's not a.big deal when you when can two-putt and make your par. Us amateurs often 3-putt. It's not great to short-side yourself in a bunker, but when the pro can knock it to 4 feet and make the putt, no big deal. We skull it over the green, leave our chip short coming back and then 2-putt.

Their ability to get up and down is incredible. For them, missing the green usually means a par, with a rare exception of bogey. For most amateurs that's flipped: missing the green means a bogey or worse, with the occasional par.

People forget how often pro golfers hit bad shots. It happens all the time. They're constantly pointing left or right. They're short-siding themselves in bunkers. They're missing 40 feet right of a left-tucked pin when they were trying to be 10 feet right. They obviously hit lots of great shots that go exactly where they intended, but they also hit lots of shots that are nowhere near where they intended.

But pros mostly miss in areas that won't hurt them (at least when they're playing fairly well). If you meant to be 10 feet right of the pin and ended up 40 feet away, it's not a.big deal when you when can two-putt and make your par. Us amateurs often 3-putt. It's not great to short-side yourself in a bunker, but when the pro can knock it to 4 feet and make the putt, no big deal. We skull it over the green, leave our chip short coming back and then 2-putt.

Their ability to get up and down is incredible. For them, missing the green usually means a par, with a rare exception of bogey. For most amateurs that's flipped: missing the green means a bogey or worse, with the occasional par.

The other thing besides the fact that pros usually miss in areas that don't hurt them is that they usually don't miss two shots in a row or compound their misses. I frequently make things worse after I put myself in trouble. The pros usually either hit a good recovery or take their medicine and try to make par with wedges or short game.

The other thing besides the fact that pros usually miss in areas that don't hurt them is that they usually don't miss two shots in a row or compound their misses. I frequently make things worse after I put myself in trouble. The pros usually either hit a good recovery or take their medicine and try to make par with wedges or short game.
But it’s fun to be a hero. Dreams die hard. :D

Back