Rotator Cuff Surgery

Man, so good to hear. Glad you’re having less pain than I did.

Thanks for the videos; I miss being a surgical research tech sometimes.

What was the screw holding together? Is it permanent?

That screw is call a suture anchor and is permanently mounted into my scapula and is the anchor point for the supraspinatus and biceps tendon that were both torn and retracted down into the muscle.

Keep it up! You'll be back on the course in no time.

Well I am now 2 weeks post subacromial decompression and rotator cuff debridement surgery. Very happy that I am ahead of schedule in PT and even able to hit up to 30 yard chips and just got cleared for wall and desk pushups. My surgery was about as easy as they come because we caught it early.

Well I am now 2 weeks post subacromial decompression and rotator cuff debridement surgery. Very happy that I am ahead of schedule in PT and even able to hit up to 30 yard chips and just got cleared for wall and desk pushups. My surgery was about as easy as they come because we caught it early.

Good for you! One of our guys just started playing last week after rotator cuff surgery that was done October 10. Sounds like you are way ahead of schedule.

Good for you! One of our guys just started playing last week after rotator cuff surgery that was done October 10. Sounds like you are way ahead of schedule.
Thanks man. Lucky for me they only had to clean up the rotator because it had a little built up debris. We caught the bone spur in time before it caused a tear in the cuff or labrum

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Thanks man. Lucky for me they only had to clean up the rotator because it had a little built up debris. We caught the bone spur in time before it caused a tear in the cuff or labrum

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Good for you, I am still not allowed to hit balls yet, and I am 10 weeks out from surgery. I am hoping in April to start chipping/pitching. Been a long process so far, no bad issues, but rehab has been rough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good for you, I am still not allowed to hit balls yet, and I am 10 weeks out from surgery. I am hoping in April to start chipping/pitching. Been a long process so far, no bad issues, but rehab has been rough.

I have an appointment with Orthopedic Surgeon this coming week to discuss my MRI. I'm kind of on pins and needles about the results and it's constantly on my mind.
Golf in all aspects has been my life for over 50 years and I honestly don't know what I would do if I were to lose the ability to play. It's a scary thought, right now.

I have an appointment with Orthopedic Surgeon this coming week to discuss my MRI. I'm kind of on pins and needles about the results and it's constantly on my mind.
Golf in all aspects has been my life for over 50 years and I honestly don't know what I would do if I were to lose the ability to play. It's a scary thought, right now.

I thought the same way going in, but it’s been all positive so far, no real pain, just soreness from rehab. Follow the surgeons and PT instructions and you will be fine. My shoulder feels better than before, and I am sure my golf game will be better once I can start playing.

I thought the same way going in, but it’s been all positive so far, no real pain, just soreness from rehab. Follow the surgeons and PT instructions and you will be fine. My shoulder feels better than before, and I am sure my golf game will be better once I can start playing.

Thanks! I appreciate you sharing your experience. I guess it's just the thought of not being able to play that lingers. lol

Thanks! I appreciate you sharing your experience. I guess it's just the thought of not being able to play that lingers. lol

You are welcome. I know how you feel, I was worried as well. I have made a couple of practice swings, slow motion, and the swing feels great, no grabbing or pain. I have followed the protocol exactly, and if you do, you will have no issues and we will be golfing before we know it.

Not to worry. Orthopedics have come a long way in the last 30 years. I had a complete rebuild on my left shoulder in 2011 and a knee in 2012 and both joints are 95% or better.

I had a full rotator cuff tear at the end of 2016 and had surgery to repair it in March of 2017. There has been lot of great advice shared here so far, is I will try not regurgitate the same stuff.

* Get yourself an ice machine it will be your best friend through your recovery.
*Buy a comfy recliner, you will spend 10-18 weeks sleeping in it.
*Select a physical therapy place where you work with the PT the entire visit and not an assistant
*Get up and move around a lot during the day. I had some complications that kept me down for longer than expected and I developed multiple blood clots which further slowed my recovery.
*Follow your therapists advice and don't push it, and do your home exercises at least twice a day.
*Buy a 36" foam bolster, it was/is fantastic for stretching out your shoulder and pec tie-in.

I was a gym rat prior to the surgery, more body builder than powerlifter, and my surgeon told me to stop heavyweights and move to low weight high reps. He also recommended no more bench press, pull-ups or dips. I purchased this set of power bands at the link below to help build back muscle and stamina and they have worked great. Now I've got 1000 lbs of weight plates collecting dust in my basement! I'm at 1-year from my surgery and back golfing and doing most normal activities. I still have a lot of stiffness and some pain now and then, but my surgically repaired shoulder is much stronger than the other one.

The most important thing I can tell you is that the recovery is totally individualized, there is no time table that works for everyone. There were people that had surgery after me that were already back golfing and there were people who had it before me that were weeks behind me in their recovery. My surgeon says its easier to recover from a full shoulder replacement than a rotator cuff tear. But if you follow your doctor and therapist's directions you will recover fine.

Best of luck!

https://www.amazon.com/PREMIUM-Resistance-Bodylastics-ANTI-SNAP-Components/dp/B01H5K10VK

I had a full rotator cuff tear at the end of 2016 and had surgery to repair it in March of 2017. There has been lot of great advice shared here so far, is I will try not regurgitate the same stuff.

* Get yourself an ice machine it will be your best friend through your recovery.
*Buy a comfy recliner, you will spend 10-18 weeks sleeping in it.
*Select a physical therapy place where you work with the PT the entire visit and not an assistant
*Get up and move around a lot during the day. I had some complications that kept me down for longer than expected and I developed multiple blood clots which further slowed my recovery.
*Follow your therapists advice and don't push it, and do your home exercises at least twice a day.
*Buy a 36" foam bolster, it was/is fantastic for stretching out your shoulder and pec tie-in.

I was a gym rat prior to the surgery, more body builder than powerlifter, and my surgeon told me to stop heavyweights and move to low weight high reps. He also recommended no more bench press, pull-ups or dips. I purchased this set of power bands at the link below to help build back muscle and stamina and they have worked great. Now I've got 1000 lbs of weight plates collecting dust in my basement! I'm at 1-year from my surgery and back golfing and doing most normal activities. I still have a lot of stiffness and some pain now and then, but my surgically repaired shoulder is much stronger than the other one.

The most important thing I can tell you is that the recovery is totally individualized, there is no time table that works for everyone. There were people that had surgery after me that were already back golfing and there were people who had it before me that were weeks behind me in their recovery. My surgeon says its easier to recover from a full shoulder replacement than a rotator cuff tear. But if you follow your doctor and therapist's directions you will recover fine.

Best of luck!

https://www.amazon.com/PREMIUM-Resistance-Bodylastics-ANTI-SNAP-Components/dp/B01H5K10VK
This man speaks the truth. Just hang in there and stay with your PT.

Sent from my Note 8 using Tapatalk

My shoulder has been effed for 20+ years and is getting progressively worse. Debating biting the bullet and getting it looked at again (had 2 surgeries on it when in high school and college), since I can't lift anything above my head at certain angles without crazy pain. Only thing is a golf swing doesn't bother it at all, which is probably why I continue to ignore it, haha.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

My shoulder has been effed for 20+ years and is getting progressively worse. Debating biting the bullet and getting it looked at again (had 2 surgeries on it when in high school and college), since I can't lift anything above my head at certain angles without crazy pain. Only thing is a golf swing doesn't bother it at all, which is probably why I continue to ignore it, haha.

That’s exactly why I did not do mine, never hurt playing golf, I finally got it done when it starting affecting my sleep, I could not roll over on my shoulder.

That’s exactly why I did not do mine, never hurt playing golf, I finally got it done when it starting affecting my sleep, I could not roll over on my shoulder.

Sounds familiar, sleeping is getting more and more challenging. Wonder if it might be my rotator cuff this time, was my labrum before that was the problem.

Sounds familiar, sleeping is getting more and more challenging. Wonder if it might be my rotator cuff this time, was my labrum before that was the problem.

I had to repair both, 2 rotator cuff tears and fully torn labrum. Everything has gone much better than I expected, no real pain, just follow the experts advice and ice it a lot. I am glad I got it done, should be golfing within the month.

I had my rotator cuff repair and debridement of calcium deposits on Jan 30. I've had frozen shoulders before, cortisone shots both sides, but until November last year, I lived with it. I could golf just fine, until one day I had a massive pain event and said enough is enough.

I tried to get released for the surgery in November but my blood work said I was diabetic! Double whammy. I turned 60 years old in Sept. last year, I was 5"10" and weighed 240 lb, borderline morbidly obese. So I got on a great diet plan, lost 30 lbs, and got my A1C level down enough to get released. I'm still on a single pill (metformin) and taking blood sugar readings, but haven't had a level above 160 in months. I've been holding the weight steady under 210, but I really need to drop another 40. So, I'm going to get back on the diet again.

Ok, now back to the surgery and recovery. Doc had to stab me 5 times to get the job done. 1.5 days later the pain block wore off and I started the Heavy pain pills. The worked, but man, the constipation was terrible. So I went off them after about two weeks total. Pro Tip: start laxatives IMMEDIATELY if you take Percocet. My doc was adamant: absolutely no NSAIDS during early recovery. Tylenol only ( which has never worked for me.) So, it was in the sling for 6 weeks, fairly poor sleep but gutted it out. Started PT about 5 weeks ago and starting to see real improvement now. I can brush my teeth! Woohoo!

Hoping the doc will release me for Golf (at least chipping and putting!) when we meet again April 11.

I had been playing my best golf ever (broke 90 and got a hole in one last year.) I expect to be even better this fall!

I do my shoulder exercises 3x per day without fail. I never miss a PT session. I'm focused on my health now like never before. Work can wait.

I had my rotator cuff repair and debridement of calcium deposits on Jan 30. I've had frozen shoulders before, cortisone shots both sides, but until November last year, I lived with it. I could golf just fine, until one day I had a massive pain event and said enough is enough.

I tried to get released for the surgery in November but my blood work said I was diabetic! Double whammy. I turned 60 years old in Sept. last year, I was 5"10" and weighed 240 lb, borderline morbidly obese. So I got on a great diet plan, lost 30 lbs, and got my A1C level down enough to get released. I'm still on a single pill (metformin) and taking blood sugar readings, but haven't had a level above 160 in months. I've been holding the weight steady under 210, but I really need to drop another 40. So, I'm going to get back on the diet again.

Ok, now back to the surgery and recovery. Doc had to stab me 5 times to get the job done. 1.5 days later the pain block wore off and I started the Heavy pain pills. The worked, but man, the constipation was terrible. So I went off them after about two weeks total. Pro Tip: start laxatives IMMEDIATELY if you take Percocet. My doc was adamant: absolutely no NSAIDS during early recovery. Tylenol only ( which has never worked for me.) So, it was in the sling for 6 weeks, fairly poor sleep but gutted it out. Started PT about 5 weeks ago and starting to see real improvement now. I can brush my teeth! Woohoo!

Hoping the doc will release me for Golf (at least chipping and putting!) when we meet again April 11.

I had been playing my best golf ever (broke 90 and got a hole in one last year.) I expect to be even better this fall!

I do my shoulder exercises 3x per day without fail. I never miss a PT session. I'm focused on my health now like never before. Work can wait.

Good for you, I too am hoping to get released to start hitting balls on my next visit, April 23. I had my surgery on Jan 10. You are right the sleeping with the sling for 6 weeks was rough, never felt I slept a full night. I have been doing more rehab the last few weeks and seeing real improvement, I can raise my arm fully over my head and can do dumbbell curls of about 10 lbs.

Still need to do work on my lateral movements, not very strong there yet. I haven’t had any real pain, just really sore some days.

Sounds like you are on the road to recovery RJ...congrats ! I had my left shoulder done in 2012 and my right in January of 2017. I wish now that I had not waited so long on the right shoulder. The doc worked his magic, the PT and I worked like hell on getting my shoulder back in shape for golf. I was released to chip and putt in April and full golf at the end of May. No pain in the shoulder at all and the swing felt and still feels great. Then exactly 5 months and 2 days from surgery, I hit an 8 iron on the 156 yard par 3 6th hole on my home course. One bounce and about 5 feet of roll resulted in my first ever Ace! Then in September when my bowing league started. The first night of league I threw a perfect 300 game. Since the surgery, avg has gone up 12 pins to a 215 avg.
Having that surgery was the best decision I have made since marrying my wife.

I cannot stress how important doing the PT is. When the therapist said to these exercises once a day, I did them 3 times a day. When he increased them to 3 times a day, I did them 5 times a day.

Congrats and I wish you a speedy recovery !!

Sounds like you are on the road to recovery RJ...congrats ! I had my left shoulder done in 2012 and my right in January of 2017. I wish now that I had not waited so long on the right shoulder. The doc worked his magic, the PT and I worked like hell on getting my shoulder back in shape for golf. I was released to chip and putt in April and full golf at the end of May. No pain in the shoulder at all and the swing felt and still feels great. Then exactly 5 months and 2 days from surgery, I hit an 8 iron on the 156 yard par 3 6th hole on my home course. Once bounce and about 5 feet of roll resulted in my first ever Ace! Then in September when my bowing league started. The first night of league I threw a perfect 300 game. Since the surgery, avg has gone up 12 pins to a 215 avg.
Having that surgery was the best decision I have made since marrying my wife.

I cannot stress how important doing the PT is. When the therapist said to these exercises once a day, I did them 3 times a day. When he increased them to 3 times a day, I did them 5 times a day.

Congrats and I wish you a speedy recovery !!

Thanks for the advice, I am following the PT’s exact protocol, and it’s been great so far. Continued success to you!

Yeah, I'm with you on the soreness - I only get pain while I make a "wrong" move. Such as reaching behind me. Ow.
Ice deadens the pain pretty well, I do it after every set of exercises.

My Doc said to carry "nothing heavier than a cup of coffee" until my next visit. I'm sure I've broken that order, but not too much. Maybe a heavy plate emptying the dishwasher! I'm certainly not mulching the lawn with 50 lb bags....

My doc also had the same surgery, and said the recovery would be "agonizingly slow." He's right about that.

There are time when depression tries to creep in. I just try to recognize that demon, acknowledge it, and move on. I do something positive like call family, or a buddy to take a walk. Just do something (other than eating!!) that works.

I'm just staying on track, turtle-style. I started walking my 2+ miles a day yesterday. Like starting over again!! Hitting balls will be a huge positive soon.

Yeah, I'm with you on the soreness - I only get pain while I make a "wrong" move. Such as reaching behind me. Ow.
Ice deadens the pain pretty well, I do it after every set of exercises.

My Doc said to carry "nothing heavier than a cup of coffee" until my next visit. I'm sure I've broken that order, but not too much. Maybe a heavy plate emptying the dishwasher! I'm certainly not mulching the lawn with 50 lb bags....

My doc also had the same surgery, and said the recovery would be "agonizingly slow." He's right about that.

There are time when depression tries to creep in. I just try to recognize that demon, acknowledge it, and move on. I do something positive like call family, or a buddy to take a walk. Just do something (other than eating!!) that works.

I'm just staying on track, turtle-style. I started walking my 2+ miles a day yesterday. Like starting over again!! Hitting balls will be a huge positive soon.

Yeah, it does feel agonizingly slow. I am using my right arm more and more, not really lifting, but doing things things to strengthen it. You are right, when I can start hitting balls, it will feel great.

I have a little over 2 months until I go back to work, and I travel most of the time, so the time at home had been nice. I do physical work, so I know I will go back with restrictions, and could be up until a year until I can lift “heavy” weights. Doctor also recommended I find another line of work, as the physical side might not be good for a repaired shoulder.

Huge milestone today - My PT allowed me to use a 1 lb weight on some exercises! Woot! This is pretty humbling....but I'm making lots of range of motion progress.
I forgot to add - I pulled my back out of whack about week 4 (probably the sling.) I opted to try and PT it, but after three weeks of pain (worse than the shoulder!!) I've done plenty of Chirop before but hadn't found a good one after I moved. I did more looking (pain is a STRONG motivator) and found a great new Chiropractic doc 5 min away!! She observed a L5 vertabrae in subluxation and popped it back in the first session. I'm still having pain events, but making progress. Right now taking 3 x 800 Advil a day to reduce inflammation for a couple of days and it's all coming together now. Finally.

ProTip: Do what works for pain. Once I started talking to folks about pain management I got a lot of advice: gravity guiding boots, water hanging, turmeric, etc. Bottom line for me is to limit long term use of NSAIDs and strengthen and increase flex in my body. But I'll try anything with some solid evidence if it works!!

Back