Rotator Cuff Surgery

Huge milestone today - My PT allowed me to use a 1 lb weight on some exercises! Woot! This is pretty humbling....but I'm making lots of range of motion progress.
I forgot to add - I pulled my back out of whack about week 4 (probably the sling.) I opted to try and PT it, but after three weeks of pain (worse than the shoulder!!) I've done plenty of Chirop before but hadn't found a good one after I moved. I did more looking (pain is a STRONG motivator) and found a great new Chiropractic doc 5 min away!! She observed a L5 vertabrae in subluxation and popped it back in the first session. I'm still having pain events, but making progress. Right now taking 3 x 800 Advil a day to reduce inflammation for a couple of days and it's all coming together now. Finally.

ProTip: Do what works for pain. Once I started talking to folks about pain management I got a lot of advice: gravity guiding boots, water hanging, turmeric, etc. Bottom line for me is to limit long term use of NSAIDs and strengthen and increase flex in my body. But I'll try anything with some solid evidence if it works!!

Good for you on the 1lb weights, it seems to progress quickly once you can use weights and bands. I am up to 5 lbs on everything, moving along. Seems rebuilding the strength takes the longest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good for you on the 1lb weights, it seems to progress quickly once you can use weights and bands. I am up to 5 lbs on everything, moving along. Seems rebuilding the strength takes the longest.

Yep, I think you were also very likely in much better shape (than I was ever in my life...)
I just looked at your stats - 5 hcp!! Great achievement. I've only played with such low handicap players a few times, and they are amazing to watch. Well done, and I hope you get back on your "A" game ASAP.

Had my 12 week doc eval. He cleared me to chip and putt. Yay!

Any suggestions on Drills? I have Tom Watson's book "Getting up and Down" and was going to use that as a start.

Had my 12 week doc eval. He cleared me to chip and putt. Yay!

Any suggestions on Drills? I have Tom Watson's book "Getting up and Down" and was going to use that as a start.

Nice, I haven’t been cleared yet, just started week 13, see the doctor next week. Cannot wait until I can chip and putt. How has the rehab gone for you?

Rehab feels slow - the doc said "agonizingly slow" - and I believe him. Weak muscles all around upper body, weights of only 2-3 lb during PT so far. The doc said I'm only about 30% healed (that's a guess, but this guy has done a ton of shoulder surgeries.) Some pain still but I just ice it for 20 minutes after every exercise period, 2-3x per day. My PT will only go for about 4 more weeks, then they think I'm done. I guess it's just personal exercise after that. So maybe full swings in two more months?

Following a recent MRI of my left shoulder it has revealed some significant issues that will require surgical repair.... WTH!

Full thickness insertional tear of supraspinatus; 90% thickness tear of infraspinatus and a SLAP tear of my labrum! I'm going to put off surgery until the fall.... too invested in this golf season to have before then!

I will a card carrying member of this thread in a few months but will follow as guys rehab and improve! #StayStrong

Rotator Cuff Surgery

Following a recent MRI of my left shoulder it has revealed some significant issues that will require surgical repair.... WTH!

Full thickness insertional tear of supraspinatus; 90% thickness tear of infraspinatus and a SLAP tear of my labrum! I'm going to put off surgery until the fall.... too invested in this golf season to have before then!

I will a card carrying member of this thread in a few months but will follow as guys rehab and improve! #StayStrong

Sorry to hear that, but as someone who went thru it recently, it’s not as bad as some people told me.

The surgery itself was painless, I got the pain block and my arm was numb 36 hours afterwards. Just keep on meds, use ice as often as possible, and follow the PT advice. My shoulder already feels better than it did before surgery, and still have a month or better in PT. I had 2 rotator cuff tears, a full labrum tear, and a bicep tendon tear.

Good luck.

Sorry to hear that, but as someone who went thru it recently, it’s not as bad as some people told me.

The surgery itself was painless, I got the pain block and my arm was numb 36 hours afterwards. Just keep on meds, use ice as often as possible, and follow the PT advice. My shoulder already feels better than it did before surgery, and still have a month or better in PT. Good luck.

Thanks... I’ve got background in athletic training and Physical Therapy so i know a bit about what to expect, but it still sucks being out of commission... and hearing you guys talk about 1 & 5lb weights.... that is where my frustration lays...

Rehab feels slow - the doc said "agonizingly slow" - and I believe him. Weak muscles all around upper body, weights of only 2-3 lb during PT so far. The doc said I'm only about 30% healed (that's a guess, but this guy has done a ton of shoulder surgeries.) Some pain still but I just ice it for 20 minutes after every exercise period, 2-3x per day. My PT will only go for about 4 more weeks, then they think I'm done. I guess it's just personal exercise after that. So maybe full swings in two more months?

Yes it is painfully slow, I have my range of motion back, but my strength and stamina is about 30-40%. I will be going back to work in June, but will still have restrictions, I was told I won’t be full strength for about 12-15 months. The shoulder is an amazing thing, but being complex, takes a long while to recover.

Thanks... I’ve got background in athletic training and Physical Therapy so i know a bit about what to expect, but it still sucks being out of commission... and hearing you guys talk about 1 & 5lb weights.... that is where my frustration lays...

Ok, good. I can lift 5lbs max now, on lateral raises it’s about 3/4 lbs. Strength and stamina will take a while. I don’t have any pain anymore, just soreness after PT.

Ok, good. I can lift 5lbs max now, on lateral raises it’s about 3/4 lbs. Strength and stamina will take a while. I don’t have any pain anymore, just soreness after PT.

That’s not helping....

That’s not helping....

I know, sorry, just being honest. Each week you build up, just be patient, which isn’t easy for me, it goes pretty quick, I had my surgery Jan 10, feels like yesterday. Should be able to start swinging in the next few weeks, finally.

Hang in there man...been there

Ok, three weeks later am I'm up to three pound weights on some stuff, and more types of exercises. Tried chipping today and didn't hurt myself, so more tomorrow.
Soreness after PT, so I ice it for 20 minutes after every time. Really helps. I got one of the slightly better ice packs from CVS for about $30. Covers front back top and side of the shoulder. Not as good as the ones at the PT site, but decent.

Being 60 years of age has probably made this slower, but it's a real test of patience. Hope you young bucks get back out there even faster!

Ok, three weeks later am I'm up to three pound weights on some stuff, and more types of exercises. Tried chipping today and didn't hurt myself, so more tomorrow.
Soreness after PT, so I ice it for 20 minutes after every time. Really helps. I got one of the slightly better ice packs from CVS for about $30. Covers front back top and side of the shoulder. Not as good as the ones at the PT site, but decent.

Being 60 years of age has probably made this slower, but it's a real test of patience. Hope you young bucks get back out there even faster!

Keep up the good work! I am 52, so not far behind you. I am up to 4/5 lbs on some exercises, still have some movements that are uncomfortable, like reaching across my body or behind, but that will improve.

I go for a follow up tomorrow, hopefully I have another month off work before I go back and punish my shoulder, I could not imagine doing heavy physical work yet.

I asked for a "push-up" type exercise from my PT person and got an easy stand up version. I think pecs are supposed to help with distance, so I want to be ready on all fronts.
Small win: reached for my safety belt today - no pain! Every day the strength returns. Range of motion is being stubborn. Lifting the arm up is still tough. Wall crawls are the worst.

I asked for a "push-up" type exercise from my PT person and got an easy stand up version. I think pecs are supposed to help with distance, so I want to be ready on all fronts.
Small win: reached for my safety belt today - no pain! Every day the strength returns. Range of motion is being stubborn. Lifting the arm up is still tough. Wall crawls are the worst.

Sounds like things are going well for you, good. My range is almost back to normal, strength and stamina is another issue, my shoulder wears out quickly doing something, but that is improving.

Still get days where the whole shoulder is sore, but every day is an improvement.

Finally got the ok from the surgeon to start hitting balls again. Starting slow, chips, pitches, half wedges. Interested to see how the rebuilt shoulder holds up.

Finally got the ok from the surgeon to start hitting balls again. Starting slow, chips, pitches, half wedges. Interested to see how the rebuilt shoulder holds up.

That’s great to hear!! Getting cleared to do more activity after my rotator cuff surgery was a big milestone. Don’t push it though: slow and steady!

That’s great to hear!! Getting cleared to do more activity after my rotator cuff surgery was a big milestone. Don’t push it though: slow and steady!

Thanks, I am following doctors orders to a tee. I don’t want to mess anything up.

Thanks, I am following doctors orders to a tee. I don’t want to mess anything up.

Good plan.... I'm meeting my potential surgeon on Tuesday. Will see what he thinks about my MRI and what his plan is for repair. Any questions I should be thinking about to ask from your perspective?

Good plan.... I'm meeting my potential surgeon on Tuesday. Will see what he thinks about my MRI and what his plan is for repair. Any questions I should be thinking about to ask from your perspective?

A lot of what he does will depend on what he sees once he gets in there. I had a few more tears that could not be seen.

Just follow his and the PT’s protocol and you will be fine. My recovery has gone well I believe due to the fact that I took everything nice and slow.

I had shoulder surgery last April after my 10 visits to physical therapy were not going anywhere. The diagnosis was shoulder impingement and it hurt like hell at a certain arc. It has done it every time going slow through that area but not so with a fast motion. When it did it on the golf swing from time to time it had me bent over in major pain. The swing got shorter and shorter before I decided to pack it in and get some help. I don't remember all the technical terms of what all was done but some of it was posterior tear, shoulder decompression, abridement, speed loks, etc. The ordeal took over 6 hours and then I had to wait another 4 hours out in the hospital for observation. At that time, I felt no pain with the pain block that was in there. I was given a big sponge sling to keep the arm from going across my body. I was told that was bad. I started home physical therapy session 4 times a day on top of 3 days a week at the hospital. It didn't take long before the high deductible on my insurance was used up. We'll let that one go! While all this was going on and the pressure one feels from my place of work to get back in the fray, I lost my surgeon. The shoulder was freezing up and I was in more pain that when I started this journey. I got an extension from another doctor to stay out of work so it ended up with over 4 months off. One doesn't realize how much you are skating on thin ice when you are out for that much time along with the original doctor sending paperwork in that I could go back when I had no use of my right arm at the time. Talk about a cluster!

I was scheduled to see a PA-C because it would be another month and a half to see the surgeon mentioned above. I seen the very pretty young lady mainly to get much needed paperwork done to save my current job without getting put out on the disability clock. What that means is if there is no job in the plant with your messed up restriction paperwork (thanks former doc) then you have a year to find one in the plant or your out. After 30 seconds of checking me out, she said I will get you into a doctor tomorrow with your condition and she resent updated paperwork to the plant. The new doctor again had me doing physical therapy, cortizone injection before it was decided that he would go back in. Some of the terminology out of that surgery was extensive debridement, biceps tenotomy, etc. I have been to physical therapy at the hospital over 100 times and I still don't have full range of motion going behind my back. It is also strange raising my arm over my head going slow. My strength is coming back but you know it was bad times when a 12 year old girl on the station next to you is pulling down more weights and reps that I could only dream about then. I have 10 holes in my right shoulder along with the long scar. I'm sick of hearing about scar tissue that it makes me sick!

I have started to golf again and it is like learning all over again. It has turned a sweeper into more of a sweeper because I'm almost afraid of tearing things apart. I had my handicap drop down to 16.7 while playing in serious pain and it has been horrendous as of late with scoring. Sometimes I quit after 5 holes because it is so frustrating. I have only played 18 holes once and did manage to get under 100. I've stayed away from using a driver early on but did bring it out when I was sitting on 39 for the par 5 9th hole. I got a little free spirited with the swing and got it out to 260 yards to the middle of the fairway. A duffed 3 wood caused me to come out with a bogey. Other times I lay back on the club and there is no distance to boast about. Maybe there is hope!

No more shoulder surgeries for this cat!!!

I had shoulder surgery last April after my 10 visits to physical therapy were not going anywhere. The diagnosis was shoulder impingement and it hurt like hell at a certain arc. It has done it every time going slow through that area but not so with a fast motion. When it did it on the golf swing from time to time it had me bent over in major pain. The swing got shorter and shorter before I decided to pack it in and get some help. I don't remember all the technical terms of what all was done but some of it was posterior tear, shoulder decompression, abridement, speed loks, etc. The ordeal took over 6 hours and then I had to wait another 4 hours out in the hospital for observation. At that time, I felt no pain with the pain block that was in there. I was given a big sponge sling to keep the arm from going across my body. I was told that was bad. I started home physical therapy session 4 times a day on top of 3 days a week at the hospital. It didn't take long before the high deductible on my insurance was used up. We'll let that one go! While all this was going on and the pressure one feels from my place of work to get back in the fray, I lost my surgeon. The shoulder was freezing up and I was in more pain that when I started this journey. I got an extension from another doctor to stay out of work so it ended up with over 4 months off. One doesn't realize how much you are skating on thin ice when you are out for that much time along with the original doctor sending paperwork in that I could go back when I had no use of my right arm at the time. Talk about a cluster!

I was scheduled to see a PA-C because it would be another month and a half to see the surgeon mentioned above. I seen the very pretty young lady mainly to get much needed paperwork done to save my current job without getting put out on the disability clock. What that means is if there is no job in the plant with your messed up restriction paperwork (thanks former doc) then you have a year to find one in the plant or your out. After 30 seconds of checking me out, she said I will get you into a doctor tomorrow with your condition and she resent updated paperwork to the plant. The new doctor again had me doing physical therapy, cortizone injection before it was decided that he would go back in. Some of the terminology out of that surgery was extensive debridement, biceps tenotomy, etc. I have been to physical therapy at the hospital over 100 times and I still don't have full range of motion going behind my back. It is also strange raising my arm over my head going slow. My strength is coming back but you know it was bad times when a 12 year old girl on the station next to you is pulling down more weights and reps that I could only dream about then. I have 10 holes in my right shoulder along with the long scar. I'm sick of hearing about scar tissue that it makes me sick!

I have started to golf again and it is like learning all over again. It has turned a sweeper into more of a sweeper because I'm almost afraid of tearing things apart. I had my handicap drop down to 16.7 while playing in serious pain and it has been horrendous as of late with scoring. Sometimes I quit after 5 holes because it is so frustrating. I have only played 18 holes once and did manage to get under 100. I've stayed away from using a driver early on but did bring it out when I was sitting on 39 for the par 5 9th hole. I got a little free spirited with the swing and got it out to 260 yards to the middle of the fairway. A duffed 3 wood caused me to come out with a bogey. Other times I lay back on the club and there is no distance to boast about. Maybe there is hope!

No more shoulder surgeries for this cat!!!

Wow, what a mess, sorry you had to go thru all that. I have heard many horror stories about shoulder surgery, luckily mine had gone really well, no issues up to this point.

I hope you can get back to normal and live/play without pain. Good luck!

Wow, what a mess, sorry you had to go thru all that. I have heard many horror stories about shoulder surgery, luckily mine had gone really well, no issues up to this point.

I hope you can get back to normal and live/play without pain. Good luck!

Thanks!

With all the crappy shots I've been hitting, does mental pain count? :angry:

I should have added that the first surgery was in April and the second was in November of last year. The club did carry over my membership for an additional $200 which took some of the hurt away because all I could do was watch the golfers from the parking lot.

Back