The construction materials used in the home/apartment can wreak havoc on WiFi signals. Our house in California had 2 layers of chicken wire as part of the stucco exterior construction and it required 4 wireless routers(3 Orbis) and made their placement critical. Cell phone calls dropped 100% of the time as soon as I stepped inside that home.

Luckily most of us don't have these troubles and modern mesh router work really well.

View attachment 8922568

Thsts what happens when you live in a giant Faraday cage. ?

I feel like pretty much anything will be a big upgrade now.

What impressed you so much?
The ease. The link I shared last night is what I have. They’re not joking when they say “2 minutes” to setup. It’s was easy. The app lets me mange the setup simply and easily.

We just picked up the Synology Mesh system. A (tiny) bit more complicated to set up than some of the others, but performance is really good. You can also plug a hard drive into it and have it serve as a mini-network attached storage for backup.

The ease. The link I shared last night is what I have. They’re not joking when they say “2 minutes” to setup. It’s was easy. The app lets me mange the setup simply and easily.
the AmpliFi right?

Price is nice.

I need to spend some time in this thread. Time for an upgraded router, especially with the upcoming move. I see $$$ flying out of the wallet already. I need speed!!!

the AmpliFi right?

Price is nice.
Yep. That setup will work with the other mesh expansion units to so if you need more coverage you can add it later.

Anyone have Fios and use their own router? If so, what router? Cheerz!

Using a TP-Link 7D24 wireless router. Works just great.

Orbi...covers 3 floors and the backyard easy. I also have the house fully wired with 2 Ethernet ports in each room and a rack mounted 1Gb switch behind that.

I think the mesh type setups would be ideal if you have a house of decent size. Our house isn't huge and we just have one router. While in the meat of the house the signal is fine, when you get to the garage or outside edges the signal can be sketchy at best.

I am completely dumb when it comes to stuff like this. If I upgrade routers from the standard verizon one that i get from them... will that make the internet reception and speed better?

We're running the Google Mesh Wifi at my house and I've been quite pleased with it so far. Only thing that's wired into the ISP router is my XBox, everything else is wireless. Have had no issues with speed, streaming, etc. and adding a fourth node let me extend a full wifi signal to my detached garage in the back yard.

Talking with my ISP the other day, they said our router being near our bathroom with cooper might be effecting it's current range, I worry with connecting a multi unit system to their existing stuff, I'm I gonna create more problems than I already have?:unsure:

I am completely dumb when it comes to stuff like this. If I upgrade routers from the standard verizon one that i get from them... will that make the internet reception and speed better?

Verizon just came out with a new one called “Home”, model G3100. I read a few quick reviews of it and apparently it is a fair amount better than the G1100 model. So, like the maniac I am....I’ve already called Verizon to swap out my current one. Gonna cost me an extra $3 a month. Planning to pick it up today....as soon asI get my hair cut.

I really do like the idea of this mesh business.
Go Orbi and don't look back... Ours extends far enough into the yard that we stream live TV to a flat screen for tailgating purposes. Smart outlets have also been 100% reliable since making the switch. You can even throw an ethernet cable on any of the satellites to beef up a fireTV stick if necessary.

Go Orbi and don't look back... Ours extends far enough into the yard that we stream live TV to a flat screen for tailgating purposes. Smart outlets have also been 100% reliable since making the switch. You can even throw an ethernet cable on any of the satellites to beef up a fireTV stick if necessary.
I've been leaning hard that way. Stopped looking about a week ago with other things popping up, sounds awesome though.

We have Eero and I love it, fwiw.

I am always looking for something better than what I have here. Currently using TP-Link Deco M5 system throughout our house with 4 placed in various spots to get a good coverage. Works pretty well for all devices including exterior wifi cameras.

I
We have Eero and I love it, fwiw.

I have Eero in our Minneapolis home that is very spread out and it works great. I have the 2 satellites wired through ethernet as they are over 100 feet apart. The speeds I get on my iPad Pro are 200-280mbps throughout the house or out in the back yard. My iMac get speeds of 300-320mbps and is wired ethernet to one of the Eero satellites.

BTW, I've had equally good performance from an Orbi.

Anyone have Fios and use their own router? If so, what router? Cheerz!
I have Fios and set up Orbi about a month ago after my previous Asus router died. The mesh system works great.

Back