Rowing machine question?

Turtlerancher

2021 Morgan Cup- Go Team Hackers! 😎
Albatross 2022 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
??
Thinking about a buying a rower and had a question for anyone who can help. I have had a back surgery years ago and 3 knee surgeries and was wondering what impact a rowing machine might have? I had to give up all forms of biking due to the pain and swelling it would cause in my knee and am hoping a rower might be easier on my knee. Not so worried about my back since I already do strength and stretching for that.
Thanks.

While I don't have a rower I do recall that you don't really have to use a lot of legs.. while it's not suggested to row with more back, I think if there resistance is low it shouldn't be an issue

Thinking about a buying a rower and had a question for anyone who can help. I have had a back surgery years ago and 3 knee surgeries and was wondering what impact a rowing machine might have? I had to give up all forms of biking due to the pain and swelling it would cause in my knee and am hoping a rower might be easier on my knee. Not so worried about my back since I already do strength and stretching for that.
Thanks.
I like my rower a ton, but I do imagine your knees will get a decent workout from it. Mostly when I use it, the fatigue comes from butt, thighs, arms, pecs, and upper back. I have some lower back issues from time to time, but rarely feel it get stressed by rowing.

Shouldn't be bad training for your knees actually, because it's essentially zero impact. Just start with low resistance and work up.

Shouldn't be bad training for your knees actually, because it's essentially zero impact. Just start with low resistance and work up.
The changing angles of a bike is what killed me, I have so much play in the patella and joint I was unable to even walk until I elevated and iced it. Hoping a rower is less impact being essentially a single plane.

The changing angles of a bike is what killed me, I have so much play in the patella and joint I was unable to even walk until I elevated and iced it. Hoping a rower is less impact being essentially a single plane.

Yea it's basically just a single bend at the knee, but no rotation around, so it should be much less. essentially if you can walk, you can use the rower. Lower back is what kills me and the rower doesn't seem to aggravate it. Mostly just works shoulders and knees depending on how much tension you do. I crank it up pretty high, but if you leave it low, it's a good low impact workout and will most likely help your knees.

This was
I like my rower a ton, but I do imagine your knees will get a decent workout from it. Mostly when I use it, the fatigue comes from butt, thighs, arms, pecs, and upper back. I have some lower back issues from time to time, but rarely feel it get stressed by rowing.
This is how I feel about mine also. Maybe I'm doing it wrong but I don't feel like my legs ever get overworked, it's always other parts of my body.

Agree with the other posts that say it is not too hard on the knees. It is not an impact exercise and you can adjust tension accordingly. If you use proper technique, it is a great work out.

This was

This is how I feel about mine also. Maybe I'm doing it wrong but I don't feel like my legs ever get overworked, it's always other parts of my body.
I really like that with a rower, you can go about it in different ways to isolate different things.. And you can almost deaden some parts of your body to make other parts work harder. As long as you're not pulling too much resistance it's not like it's doing damage to anything.

Just throwing another high intensity cardio option out there for you if you feel like you'll have knee issues with the rower: SkiErg. It is a targeted upper-body cardio option that is great for people with lower body issues. You can engage your lower-body using this machine, but the impact is completely up to the user.

I would agree with this if you start with low resistance I would think you will be okay. Rowing is really a leg, back and core exercise as much as anything, It is an unreal overall workout. I would look on Craigslist or Facebook marketplace for a used Concept 2.

If you can't do a stationary cycle it's very possible a rower could give you trouble as well. I'd see a physical therapist for some other knee strengthening exercises before jumping into a rower if the biking bothers you. When I had a complete knee reconstruction(ACL replacement, pcl, mcl and meniscus tear) in 2012 and went through all the PT, they had me on a stationary bike two days after surgery and I continued that at least 6 days a week for 6 months. A rower was not recommended by my therapist until I was 6 weeks out of surgery. Everyone else that I know that has had major knee surgery or replacement has had cycling as part of their PT.

If you can't do a stationary cycle it's very possible a rower could give you trouble as well. I'd see a physical therapist for some other knee strengthening exercises before jumping into a rower if the biking bothers you. When I had a complete knee reconstruction(ACL replacement, pcl, mcl and meniscus tear) in 2012 and went through all the PT, they had me on a stationary bike two days after surgery and I continued that at least 6 days a week for 6 months. A rower was not recommended by my therapist until I was 6 weeks out of surgery. Everyone else that I know that has had major knee surgery or replacement has had cycling as part of their PT.
My last surgery was basically the same as yours and I did my pt on a recumbent bike with out much problem except for the excessive slack in my joint. When I injured it the last time I took 3 good chips out of my femur and between grinding that smooth, and shaving my meniscus for the third time, it's pretty sloppy in there. Being only 31 at the time is the only thing that kept the doctor from doing a full replacement.

I would think a rower would start to bother your knees as well. I guess you could manage the intensity to not use your legs as much but rowers work your thighs and back. Knees would get a pretty decent workout. Elliptical out of the question?

I would think a rower would start to bother your knees as well. I guess you could manage the intensity to not use your legs as much but rowers work your thighs and back. Knees would get a pretty decent workout. Elliptical out of the question?
I've never tried one, might have to go to the Y where my daughter works and try one. Thanks for the idea.

While I don't have a rower I do recall that you don't really have to use a lot of legs.. while it's not suggested to row with more back, I think if there resistance is low it shouldn't be an issue

It’s the opposite. The first movement back is to drive with the legs. However, there shouldn’t be any load on the knees. I have a rower and both dodgy knees and back. Neither are affected by rowing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s the opposite. The first movement back is to drive with the legs. However, there shouldn’t be any load on the knees. I have a rower and both dodgy knees and back. Neither are affected by rowing.

In proper form yes, and to exert the most physical energy, but what I meant was couldn't, technically, someone remail a little more straight legged and not bend the knees and row with more upper back?

Not ideal but more aerobic exercise vs the resistance type in "traditional" movement?

So it sounds like I should be good to go, now the big question, air, water or, magnetic? I had no idea of the various types available. Any recommendations without breaking the golf budget?

As others have said, it’s probably one of the lowest impact cardio machines. I don’t have the problems you have, but I’ve never felt any strain on my knees or lower back from rowing.

I have a Concept 2 and it’s great. Most of what I found online indicated it’s the gold standard.

So it sounds like I should be good to go, now the big question, air, water or, magnetic? I had no idea of the various types available. Any recommendations without breaking the golf budget?

If you can afford one, I’d choose water every time. I have an air one and the resistance isn’t adjustable (not sure if that’s the same as all air ones). However, there is something immensely satisfying in hearing the water churn as you row.

I have the same issues with knee. We recently got a rower. Knee handles it well. We bought a water rower. Sound is soothing if i dont have buds in. Resistance is based on how hard you row. Just like real rowing.

Back