CONTEST RPP & Frank take on Dauphin Highland’s Superintendent’s Revenge (11/19/22)

I am not used to so many long irons and hybrids into par 4’s! And we weren’t able to get within 80 yards of any par 5’s in 2. Definitely made things more challenging.
Welcome to my world... Old man golf. 😕🤪:mad:

Definitely sounds like it was going to be a tough day.

Not looking good for my guess so far. Can't wait for the rest of the recap.

Apparently the warm cider & fireball takes a few holes to kick in because we got rolling on 14. Tees were up and Frank put us greenside. Short-sided, but we managed to get up and two putt for par. Frank gave us a great look on the 210 yard par 3, but we couldn’t convert. We nearly birdied the par 5 16th playing over 600 yards before a really poor showing on the par 3 17th, which was only playing 120 yards from the 18th tee box. These were dark times sitting at +7 thru 12.

We notched our first birdie* on the 18th hole. They had it playing up by the pond. It was visually intimidating over water and protected by bunkers. The pin was tucked a pace onto the green.

1668908450997.png

Unfortunately they were out of cider, so we settled for PB whiskey hot chocolate and headed to the front nine +6 thru 13.

We notched our first birdie* on the 18th hole. They had it playing up by the pond. It was visually intimidating over water and protected by bunkers. The pin was tucked a pace onto the green.

View attachment 9136490

Unfortunately they were out of cider, so we settled for PB whiskey hot chocolate and headed to the front nine +6 thru 13.
Maybe not as bad as I feared.

maybe a run of birdies is coming to get to +2 like I predicted....

The blisteringly hot chocolate & whiskey must have done the trick. We teed off from the driving range on #1 and both hit great drives and good second shots. I drained a 40+ foot putt that made a hard left turn and went into the cup at 2:00 for back to back birdies!

1668908938353.png

The good run continued with a routine par on the short par 4 2nd. Our playing partners putted one two feet past the hole that did a 180 and went into the hole at midnight, have I mentioned these pin placements were insane?! We went into the 460 yard par 4 3rd at +5 thru 15.

LOOK AT THIS DRIVE BY FRANK. I hit a nice second and Frank dropped the birdie putt for 3 in our last 4 to get us to +4 thru 16.

1668909670908.png

hope more birdies come but loving the recap like this

Next up was the dreaded par 3 4th hole, set up playing 80 yards to the front edge pin with the tees IN A BUNKER. I picked it clean and spun one back off the green. We scared the hole with both birdie putts and settled for par. Our closing hole was the par 5 5th. A decent drive, poor second, and good third set us up for a challenging two putt that Frank converted. We finished with a +4 76 with 3 birdies and 30 putts after going -3 in our last 6 holes following a +7 thru 12 start. We putted insanely well considering the ridiculous pin placements and some half frozen greens.

Next up was the dreaded par 3 4th hole, set up playing 80 yards to the front edge pin with the tees IN A BUNKER. I picked it clean and spun one back off the green. We scared the hole with both birdie putts and settled for par. Our closing hole was the par 5 5th. A decent drive, poor second, and good third set us up for a challenging two putt that Frank converted. We finished with a +4 76 with 3 birdies and 30 putts after going -3 in our last 6 holes following a +7 thru 12 start. We putted insanely well considering the ridiculous pin placements and some half frozen greens.
Way to turn that round around!

I expected worse pin placements. Good golf considering the conditions.

We proceeded to check in at the bar afterwards. Our 76 was already sitting in 5th or 6th of the 20 teams who had turned their cards in (with a -2 and a -4 already carded!). We opted to have an ice cold Yuengling and stick around to see how we finished overall. We were somewhere around 15th out of 46 teams. They paid out the top 3 in the regular flight (a trio of 79’s) and top 7 in the championship flight (72 and less). Not sure how that worked exactly since they didn’t ask for handicaps or anything. Next up were skins and there were only 4 won. We took the first with our birdie on #1! When I took the envelope, the GM told me not to sit down for long because we won the second skin with our birdie on #3!!!

I expected worse pin placements. Good golf considering the conditions.
They were brutal, but all on the greens. Mostly just a pace or two onto the green on a ridge and others right on the crest of a ridge or edge of a tier. Every single one was a three putt or worse waiting to happen. We only managed one tap-in the entire round. Putters saved us from a significantly higher score.

We finished with a +4 76 with 3 birdies and 30 putts after going -3 in our last 6 holes following a +7 thru 12 start.
That is some pretty good playing right there. Superintendent’s revenge and freezing? That’s impressive.

Sounds like a solid day for you and Frank!

Great recap and sound like was a fun day, awesome winning 2 skins!

Sorry for the delay in the contest winner… Two people guessed correct with a score of +4 and 3 birdies. @jefe35 was only one off with a guess of 29 putts while @hackitup guessed 35. If you could both PM me your addresses, I will get prize packs sent your way! Thanks to everyone who guessed and bantered in the thread, this tournament was a ton of fun. I wish I could have live posted, but my hands were ******* frozen! 😁

Great guessing there @jefe35. One off on putts was close to calling it perfectly on a Superintendent’s Revenge.

I had a box from RPP waiting for me when I got home. Awesome pack. Thank you so much. The fact that this came on Day 1 of golf during the Grandaddy with a Hideaway ball marker is pretty cool timing.

15504C9D-327F-4305-83E2-452D2DF0333E.jpeg
image.jpg

Frank and I are running it back next month at the 2023 Hockey Winter Classic! 🔥 contest coming soon and hopefully it won’t be so cold this time so I can do some live updating 😁

1675640364236.png

Back