Rules Question Regarding Bunkers.

Space Bandito

Baguette
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
2 Children
Played an abysmal round today, but it wasn't without its merits. In the course of the round, my friend was faced with a lie just outside of a level bunker. His only option for a stance placed him firmly in the bunker - but his ball was situated comfortably within the rough on the fairway side of said sand.

As he took his stance, the ball was not above his feet. He set up, and took a practice swing, which contacted the sand in the bunker - not just a whisp, but a full blow.

Is this a penalty?

We were playing a fully miserable casual round, and I wasn't going to even mention it, but I thought I'd ask the rules nerds.

Last edited:
I didn't look it up in the RoG, but off the top of my head I'd say no penalty because his ball wasn't in the bunker. He wasn't testing the surface of the bunker, because he wasn't hitting from it.

I wouldn't think so as he wasn't testing the conditions and wasn't in the hazard. I could be wrong though.

I would say no penalty since his ball was not in the bunker.

According to 12.1 If a ball lies on soil or grass or other growing or attached natural objects inside the edge of the bunker without touching any sand, the ball is not in the bunker.

Hence, there would be no penalty.

Folks have it correct. If your ball is not in the bunker, you can touch the sand all you want.

yup, not in bunker and as a result the rules around striking sand while in bunker are not applicable...

I agree with others, also I think part of the new rules was accidental contact with the bunker is now legal. Someone might have to correct me here though.

I agree with others, also I think part of the new rules was accidental contact with the bunker is now legal. Someone might have to correct me here though.

You're correct. If you accidentally touch the sand with your club getting into the bunker, or fall, or set an extra club down, it is not a penalty. You could even lean on your club in the bunker. What is a penalty is grounding your club behind the ball, improving your lie, touching the sand on your backswing, or testing the sand with your club such as with a practice swing.

Although things have gotten much less-strict rules-wise, I would still encourage people to treat bunkers with great care. You don't want to get into an argument with someone in a tournament over whether your touching of the sand constituted "testing."

You're correct. If you accidentally touch the sand with your club getting into the bunker, or fall, or set an extra club down, it is not a penalty. You could even lean on your club in the bunker. What is a penalty is grounding your club behind the ball, improving your lie, touching the sand on your backswing, or testing the sand with your club such as with a practice swing.

Although things have gotten much less-strict rules-wise, I would still encourage people to treat bunkers with great care. You don't want to get into an argument with someone in a tournament over whether your touching of the sand constituted "testing."
Thanks for clarifying, I knew some of that changed. But did not remember the exact rules.

Back