Rules Question: securing sticky tungsten/rubber weight blocks

Daddio

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Last time out, a buddy needed a wedge but didn't bring his out to the 18th green so I let him borrow mine for the shot. After playing it he pointed out that mine weren't weighted legally because I used tape to help secure the stupid tungsten club head weights I bought from the golf shop. They come several to a card and are supposed to stick but the stupid things just don't so I used a bit of duct tape. see below

He has competed at a much higher level than I ever have so I knew he must be right. A quick look at the RoG when I got home, confirmed it, and I'm glad he pointed it out.

My question is; if I use golf specific lead tape to secure the weight pads instead, would it then be legal? If so, what's the difference? Would it just be another one of those 'because the USGA says so' deals?
2D9Sf5J.jpg

Use high density lead tape instead of the tungsten squares. Love the idea of the tungsten squares but they don't stick worth a darn. I only use them on putters. Never have had lead tape fall off a full swing club whereas I was losing the tungsten squares within a couple of swings. High density lead tape is 1 gram per inch so 2 inches equals 1 SW, or 1 tungsten square.

Use high density lead tape instead of the tungsten squares. Love the idea of the tungsten squares but they don't stick worth a darn. I only use them on putters. Never have had lead tape fall off a full swing club whereas I was losing the tungsten squares within a couple of swings. High density lead tape is 1 gram per inch so 2 inches equals 1 SW, or 1 tungsten square.

I looked at both and went with the Lead tape. I have 4- 2" pieces on each club.
The black squares look nicer but all the reviews said they don't stick well.
I'm debating having weights put in the Hosel so I can tape that ugly tape off my Beautiful Forged Tec Blacks. Or I could just color the lead tape.

Last time out, a buddy needed a wedge but didn't bring his out to the 18th green so I let him borrow mine for the shot. After playing it he pointed out that mine weren't weighted legally because I used tape to help secure the stupid tungsten club head weights I bought from the golf shop. They come several to a card and are supposed to stick but the stupid things just don't so I used a bit of duct tape. see below

He has competed at a much higher level than I ever have so I knew he must be right. A quick look at the RoG when I got home, confirmed it, and I'm glad he pointed it out.

My question is; if I use golf specific lead tape to secure the weight pads instead, would it then be legal? If so, what's the difference? Would it just be another one of those 'because the USGA says so' deals?
2D9Sf5J.jpg

I don't believe what you've done violates the Rules of Golf. Adding tape and, or, weights to a golf club is permitted.
However, to stay within the Rules the tape-weights etc... you've applied must remain in their original (pre round ) position throughout the round of golf.

I don't believe what you've done violates the Rules of Golf. Adding tape and, or, weights to a golf club is permitted.
However, to stay within the Rules the tape-weights etc... you've applied must remain in their original (pre round ) position throughout the round of golf.

Actually, I did further checking and learned that only lead tape is permitted by the Rules of Golf.
Applying separate weights with regular tape ( not lead tape) would be a violation of the Rules.
Applying the separate weights with epoxy is allowed.

Actually, I did further checking and learned that only lead tape is permitted by the Rules of Golf.
Applying separate weights with regular tape ( not lead tape) would be a violation of the Rules.
Applying the separate weights with epoxy is allowed.

Thanks for clarifying DG, that's pretty much how I interpreted it too. It doesn't make much sense that I could secure those same weights with a strip of lead tape instead and be legal. Is what it is I guess, #RoG.

It has to be something not easily altered according to the rules. If it’s at least as difficult to remove as lead tape, then it’s okay. Duct tape isn’t very hard to remove.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It has to be something not easily altered according to the rules. If it’s at least as difficult to remove as lead tape, then it’s okay. Duct tape isn’t very hard to remove.

This is the problem with the RoG sometimes. Lead tape is simple to remove, too. Vague rules are stupid.

If lead tape indeed holds them more securely than duct tape that's all the better. I originally went with the duct tape so the weight pads wouldn't/couldn't move during a round, anyway. Next time I'm at the golf shop I'll grab some authorized tape to secure them. Hopefully even better.

If lead tape indeed holds them more securely than duct tape that's all the better. I originally went with the duct tape so the weight pads wouldn't/couldn't move during a round, anyway. Next time I'm at the golf shop I'll grab some authorized tape to secure them. Hopefully even better.

I buy my lead in sheets 1/16" primarily and apply with epoxy. This works best for me and I can cut the sheet lead to length and configuration to fit the club.

Back