Status
Not open for further replies.

Esox

Reaction score
Handicap
There is some talk that one of the members at my club has been cheating. Strong rumors coming from several accusers. No one has confronted this member that I'm aware. He has been very good to me and mine since we joined. It is very disturbing and disconcerting. It was discussed in my foursome today, and it made me very uncomfortable. The accused is an older gentleman who is suffering from some very serious health issues. Though, the health issues are also kind of rumors. He was once a very fine player, before my time as a member, but his game has declined some.

His reputation is now probably completely ruined, yet I'm not sure he knows these things are being discussed. I really find the whole thing pretty repugnant. It saddens me.

Kevin

That sucks, Kevin. What kind of cheating? Sandbagging or lack of counting strokes...or something completely different?

That sucks, Kevin. What kind of cheating? Sandbagging or lack of counting strokes...or something completely different?

That being said, cheating in tournaments or cheating in like friendly matches or what? Not that it matters, was just curious.

Interesting predicament Kevin. Always hard when we hear something negative about people that have been very good to us.

If he's your friend you should tell him and see if it's true. It may not be. Im not a fan of people that say things behind your back and don't have the guts to just come out ask you about it. If those rumors where being spread about you wouldn't you want to know?

That being said, cheating in tournaments or cheating in like friendly matches or what? Not that it matters, was just curious.

Interesting predicament Kevin. Always hard when we hear something negative about people that have been very good to us.

Dropping balls, not counting strokes. In men's club and other match play type events.

That really sucks Esox. I hope the rumors aren't true.

What's bothersome, Jake, is that he's already convicted, and to be honest, the stories sound pretty incriminating.

A player in my group today is one his accusers, and he's not the kind of guy to maliciously say anything about anyone. In fact he's about as nice a guy as I've met. Yet, he did not confront this man, and admits regretting not doing so. He did talk to the pro, who I guess has chosen not to address it.

This is quite troubling. From my interactions with this man I know him to be a very proud guy, one proud of his skills. I suspect his health issues have affected his judgement.

Kevin

I cheated in a tournament in seventh grade and quickly learned that it is not worth it and will bring nothing but bad things.

That being said, I hope he isn't getting trashed for something he doesn't actually do.

Cheaters never win and winners never cheat.

Cheaters never win and winners never cheat.
Havent heard that in a while, but it rings true here.

that sucks man especially since it sounds like you're in the middle of it. i think depending on how good of friend he was would determine if id say anything to him or not. tough call for sure.

Yup even if you win in cheating you know there is something that doesn't feel right. You are just fooling yourself.

I think I'd have to say something to him, just because I'd want someone to say something to me if there were rumors going around. But I know that's a tough thing to do.

How does anyone know the guy cheated? From a rumor? If know one will confront the guy about it it's all just here say. Remember If those guys will talk behind his back what makes you think they won't talk behind yours?

that sucks man especially since it sounds like you're in the middle of it. i think depending on how good of friend he was would determine if id say anything to him or not. tough call for sure.

No, I'm on the outside. I wouldn't describe our relationship as a friendship. But we've spoken at length many times, he's had kids that were good players, and he takes an interest in my daughter's progress. We've never played together other than by chance in men's club, or when my wife and I have shared a round or two with he and his wife when we've happened to meet on the tee or course.

I think the pro should address it, but would possibly volunteer my services if I thought I had all the information.

Kevin

If its a big deal I would say the pro or some other senior members need to address it.

No, I'm on the outside. I wouldn't describe our relationship as a friendship. But we've spoken at length many times, he's had kids that were good players, and he takes an interest in my daughter's progress. We've never played together other than by chance in men's club, or when my wife and I have shared a round or two with he and his wife when we've happened to meet on the tee or course.

I think the pro should address it, but would possibly volunteer my services if I thought I had all the information.

Kevin
All you got to do is ask the guy. If he did not do it he will be grateful that you told him so he can clear it up. If he is cheating and he gets mad at you that's ok. You don't want to be affiliated with a cheater anyway. I guess I don't see the issue. ( sorry but these type people get under my skin. The ones that talk behind your back and cheaters)

Kevin if people know he is cheating and aren't taking steps to make it stop they are just as guilty. It sucks if he is but someone has to address the situation. It's not fair to those he cheating against and like you said its killing his rep or has already killed it.

Kevin

i completely agree the pro should address it but sometimes i know they feel like they have to pick their fights carefully depending on the situation and sometimes it just isn't worth it.

Kevin if people know he is cheating and aren't taking steps to make it stop they are just as guilty. It sucks if he is but someone has to address the situation. It's not fair to those he cheating against and like you said its killing his rep or has already killed it.

Exactly! I used to get tired of people complaining to me at the pro shop about someone "cheating" during a tournament. They were in their group and didn't call it on them so they don't really have a right to complain afterwards IMO. For instance, a guy grounded his club in a hazard or said he had a 5 when he really had a 6. Call it on him! I know the ladies I play with will call it on you in a heartbeat during a tournament.

All you got to do is ask the guy. If he did not do it he will be grateful that you told him so he can clear it up. If he is cheating and he gets mad at you that's ok. You don't want to be affiliated with a cheater anyway. I guess I don't see the issue. ( sorry but these type people get under my skin. The ones that talk behind your back and cheaters)

"it's not quite as simple as walking up and saying, "Hey, heard talk you're been cheating."

He's an older gentleman, Freddie. A long time member of the club. One of his accusers almost considers him a mentor. He went to the pro. The other accuser I'm aware of is kind of a newer member.

Kevin

Yep someone needs to man up.

"it's not quite as simple as walking up and saying, "Hey, heard talk you're been cheating."

He's an older gentleman, Freddie. A long time member of the club. One of his accusers almost considers him a mentor. He went to the pro. The other accuser I'm aware of is kind of a newer member.

Kevin
Interesting...is this something that has been going on for a while now, or just noticed in the last few rounds?

Esox - I guess its hard for me to really understand it. But it is being considered a big deal at the club? Or is it like a judge shmails situation?

It is that simple. ... Hey you where good to me when I joined here so I thought you should know there's a rumor going around about you. People are saying you cheated. I just thought you should know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back