Rushing Quarterbacks longevity

Turtlerancher

2021 Morgan Cup- Go Team Hackers! 😎
Albatross 2022 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
??
So with all the new young rushing quarterbacks coming up in the NFL I've noticed a lack of size compared to the older generation of rushing QBs. Sure their fast and athletic but, what's your take on how they are going to endure multiple hits? It's my thought that its very possible that a career ending injury could happen pretty easily.

3-4 seasons or blown knee.....which ever comes first.

3-4 seasons or blown knee.....which ever comes first.
Or some nagging injury's due to taking some big shots!!!
Lamar Jackson is an amazing talent just like Mahomes but the minute they lose a step they are going to be in trouble. Mahomes looked average this season when he was coming back from the dislocated kneecap. Jackson doesn't throw it well enough to overcome the loss of a step.

What got me thinking of this was watching my Titans and thinking of Steve McNair, he was a great rushing qb and built like a power running back yet he ended up with some serious injuries that shortened his career. These newer ones seem built more like wide receiver's and just can't see them taking the punishment.

They are incredibly fun to watch but they seem to flame out a lot quicker than the pure pocket guys. There are always exceptions and injuries can happen to any player on any play.

What got me thinking of this was watching my Titans and thinking of Steve McNair, he was a great rushing qb and built like a power running back yet he ended up with some serious injuries that shortened his career. These newer ones seem built more like wide receiver's and just can't see them taking the punishment.

Josh Allen in Buffalo is a chip off the old block so to speak. His running is a big part of the Bills offense. And he has shown no inclination of trying to avoid or lessen any contact with defenders.

It will be interesting to see if the lone mobile QB can get to the SB. Like others have said short life expectancy due to the big hits they e taken or will.

They are incredibly fun to watch but they seem to flame out a lot quicker than the pure pocket guys. There are always exceptions and injuries can happen to any player on any play.
Part of the problem is, teams get a mobile qb and build their O line for that qb, then when he's hurting they can't protect the pocket.

It will be interesting to see if the lone mobile QB can get to the SB. Like others have said short life expectancy due to the big hits they e taken or will.
I just hope the Titans can ride Derrick's stiffarm to the SB.;)

It interesting watching the college QB come out and realize how fast the pro game is compared to college. Even runningbacks have a time adjusting. As good as Reggie Bush was at USC, it took him some time to realize that 300lbs defensive lineman is almost has fast as he was.

Running QBs don't last. RGIII 2 years started and now backup. Defensive Coordinators learn how to contain QBs, and then they are less effective.

It interesting watching the college QB come out and realize how fast the pro game is compared to college. Even runningbacks have a time adjusting. As good as Reggie Bush was at USC, it took him some time to realize that 300lbs defensive lineman is almost has fast as he was.

Running QBs don't last. RGIII 2 years started and now backup. Defensive Coordinators learn how to contain QBs, and then they are less effective.
On that note, my daughter is a big Tide fan and she hates what Tua has meant to them, she Hope's he gets chewed up next year in the NFL!?

Keep Mahomes off the field.
One thing going for the Titans is like NE and the Ravens found out, they have a very adaptable defense. Took away NE short slants and screens, took away Ravens run game, good thing about having Vrabel coaching, he understands defense. :cool:

The biggest issue I have seen over the last decade or so of running QBs is most can’t throw the ball half as good as other QBs and are only productive when rushing. They get hurt fast and often and usually are worthless after the first major injury. I don’t think they realize they can’t survive for long careers in the NFL when trying to play like they did in high school and college. Just my opinion.

The biggest issue I have seen over the last decade or so of running QBs is most can’t throw the ball half as good as other QBs and are only productive when rushing. They get hurt fast and often and usually are worthless after the first major injury. I don’t think they realize they can’t survive for long careers in the NFL when trying to play like they did in high school and college. Just my opinion.
Those are my exact thoughts, your not in Kansas State any more Dorothy! ;)
The way things are going its like the NFL has been moving in this direction in a effort to make football more exciting at the expense of injuries. Draft the young, exciting qb and stick him right in as your starting quarterback. Let him get pounded for 1-3 years and rinse and repeat. Tennessee is guilty of it with Mariota.

The ones that only run when they have to will last but most will shorten their career for success in the moment.

Or some nagging injury's due to taking some big shots!!!
Lamar Jackson is an amazing talent just like Mahomes but the minute they lose a step they are going to be in trouble. Mahomes looked average this season when he was coming back from the dislocated kneecap. Jackson doesn't throw it well enough to overcome the loss of a step.
Just reading that makes my stomach turn. :sick:

So with all the new young rushing quarterbacks coming up in the NFL I've noticed a lack of size compared to the older generation of rushing QBs. Sure their fast and athletic but, what's your take on how they are going to endure multiple hits? It's my thought that its very possible that a career ending injury could happen pretty easily.

I don't believe a "rushing quarterback" is anymore prone to injury than a classic pocket QB. Specifically, both styles of QB get hit. Sometimes the rushing QB has an advantage because he may see potential tacklers, whereas the guy standing in the pocket to pass may get blindsided .

I don't believe a "rushing quarterback" is anymore prone to injury than a classic pocket QB. Specifically, both styles of QB get hit. Sometimes the rushing QB has an advantage because he may see potential tacklers, whereas the guy standing in the pocket to pass may get blindsided .
I agree both get hit but, the frequency of hits is much higher than a pocket passer. Also alot of the hits on a pocket qb come after the d has been deflected and slowed down.

Thr more a QB runs, the more they open themselves up to bigger hits. Look at Cam Newton and RG3

I agree both get hit but, the frequency of hits is much higher than a pocket passer. Also alot of the hits on a pocket qb come after the d has been deflected and slowed down.

I see pocket QB's getting blasted (after they've thrown the ball) and I see running/rushing QB's sliding, running out of bounds etc...
It's not like rushing QB's are out there trying to run thru defenders the way a RB does.

I think it comes down to their ability to avoid that blowup hit. From what I saw of RG3 in college he was one of if not the best players on the field so he never took those big hits he could easily avoid them. When he got to the NFL he was getting hit more frequently and was unable to protect himself, even with a simple slide. Jackson this year seems to be better at avoiding those hits like Mahomes has minus that freak accident. By the same token you have Luck that got hurt a lot because he was not as mobile as others. So you have it from both sides.

Back