Rusty wedges....why?

I saw this yesterday on FB so its not my pic but why? Why would you do this intentionally to a new wedge? I think it looks awful but for some reason people seem to think it adds spin?

View attachment 8947305

Intentionally rusting your wedge shows you do not understand the purpose of a raw wedges. You are ruining the characteristics of a raw wedges that make them good.

I agree with jdtox, that looks unappealing. The raw wedges transitioning over time is a better look.

Ummm, nope, not for me. I'm also unsure about the black finishes out there too, not sure why....

Why not is the better question.

Personal preference is fun, give me rust or give me death. It’s the look, and the feel, it’s not about the spin.

Now, that said, insta rust is fun until it ruins your towel in the bag as it doesn’t hold. Haha

Intentionally rusting your wedge shows you do not understand the purpose of a raw wedges. You are ruining the characteristics of a raw wedges that make them good.
There's a specific purpose? Maybe some people just like the look. And judging by the fact that nearly every OEM has some version of a raw iron or wedge, a lot of people like the look.

Haven't we already seen some testing that shows that rusty wedges don't actually improve spin in any meaningful way?

I just puked a little.

Ummm, nope, not for me. I'm also unsure about the black finishes out there too, not sure why....
Cut that glare down, man!

I like chrome/satin irons, but once I get into the wedges I need a dark or raw finish to prevent the club face from blinding me.

There's a specific purpose? Maybe some people just like the look. And judging by the fact that nearly every OEM has some version of a raw iron or wedge, a lot of people like the look.

Haven't we already seen some testing that shows that rusty wedges don't actually improve spin in any meaningful way?
We have also talked a lot about the absence of a plating on the grooves can increase spin initially, but wear will come faster.

Why stop at wedges? You could get some paint stripper and add raw doors to your vehicle. How about the rusty look on your kitchen utensils? The lovely rusty garage door would be popular with the lady of the house.

The point of a raw wedge is not rust. the point is that the edge radius on the grooves has tighter tolerances because they cut the grooves on all wedges before plating. So, initially the sharper edge will create more spin Rust is a bi product that creates a cool look but adds nothing in the way of performance. Intentionally rusting wedges creates faster wear and defeats the purpose.

Another benefit if you are so inclined is that you can grind a raw wedge if you wanted.

About 10 years ago I was into rusty wedges . Recently I’m into the darker finished wedges instead

Why stop at wedges? You could get some paint stripper and add raw doors to your vehicle. How about the rusty look on your kitchen utensils? The lovely rusty garage door would be popular with the lady of the house.

Got you covered..
B08B74E1-E620-4DC3-A298-6E26BE706DBA.jpeg

I’m in.

It used to be thought that it added spin but nowdays I would say that most people dont it just because they think it looks cool. I'll admit that Im a fan of the look. It just makes a club look old and weathered.
Theres an old saying that goes something like how if you meet a golfer with squinty eyes and well-worn clubs who wants to bet on each hole, dont do it.

Not a fan of just the face rusting like in the OP. Do like it when the entire head (raw) rusts though.

That is nasty.

Last edited:
That is nasty.

Let's be honest. TM just can't quite get wedges right.

XFT, ATV, Milled Grind, Hi-Toe. There's a just a little bit that's underwhelming.

Tour Preferred were the best. They need to use the TP logo more

I love the look of them, but i don't believe i could play the entire set

Not a look I’m into. I want my wedges, vehicles, knives and other utensils free of rust.

Black Forest ham on the other hand...

Back