Rusty wedges....why?

I saw this yesterday on FB so its not my pic but why? Why would you do this intentionally to a new wedge? I think it looks awful but for some reason people seem to think it adds spin?

View attachment 8947305
Because Sunday bags was taken.

I think this question comes up a lot.

I'm in the why not camp. Though my current wedges are satin chrome plated.

Definitely not the most obnoxious thing out there. For an all raw head, if you get a custom grind you don't have to worry about it not blending (though some like that look). TM doing the raw face but chromed head I think is fine. I wouldn't go out of my way to rust the face, but I also wouldn't worry about it rusting.

I like that there are more options for golfers. Some like a more dull look that raw heads look. Bright chrome isn't as common right now on wedges with a more satin chrome being present. Black wedges are popular, but some prefer raw for not having as drastic of a contrast when worn.

Y’all are gonna laugh but this is my opinion of rusty wedges.

A4BB0E85-D329-4A05-8CDA-241BB4B99D85.jpeg42732EC2-60FF-4381-962B-B958F570F686.jpeg

These are my favorite raw wedges and have many happy rounds on them. Gun oil and quick buff when needed. Nothing better than fresh raw steel.

I love some raw! To me the wedges are the workhorse of the bag and that raw, rusty look gives them that appearance. Plus everyone knows that you get 1,000 rpm more from the rust. I read it on the internet.

Let's be honest. TM just can't quite get wedges right.

XFT, ATV, Milled Grind, Hi-Toe. There's a just a little bit that's underwhelming.

Tour Preferred were the best. They need to use the TP logo more

The original black and satin TP wedges were nice. The satin Tour Preferred wedges that came out, I adored those things. Felt like I could do anything with them.

I saw this yesterday on FB so its not my pic but why? Why would you do this intentionally to a new wedge? I think it looks awful but for some reason people seem to think it adds spin?

View attachment 8947305
Did the run the face with Cheetos ?

Ya that is a big no for me lol.

Love the look!!! I dont think there are many people still left out there who feel rust creates more spin.. but I like the rust look bc its cool and primarily to reduce glare. I honestly hate traditional satin or chrome wedges, the glare is horrible

Then you have black or blue(mizuno) wedges where that finish eventually wears off on the sole and club face. Depending who you ask, you could say rusty wedges look better with age/use vs black wedges look worse with age/use

Those look absolutely terrible!

Let's be honest. TM just can't quite get wedges right.

XFT, ATV, Milled Grind, Hi-Toe. There's a just a little bit that's underwhelming.

Tour Preferred were the best. They need to use the TP logo more
Oh man, MG2 are really really really good. Criminally underrated in fact.

Love the look!!! I dont think there are many people still left out there who feel rust creates more spin.. but I like the rust look bc its cool and primarily to reduce glare. I honestly hate traditional satin or chrome wedges, the glare is horrible

Then you have black or blue(mizuno) wedges where that finish eventually wears off on the sole and club face. Depending who you ask, you could say rusty wedges look better with age/use vs black wedges look worse with age/use
I agree with all of this.

I like Raw wedges, but i'm not a fan of this Raw Face look.

Doesn’t help with spin, so why do it? Not a fan.

Because Sunday bags was taken.

Now that I think about it...

using a Sunday bag full of rusty wedges with iron covers and GOLFING at Sweeten's Cove would be next level. @Canadan?

The hate is funnnnnnyyyyyy

Thats why we have options... I think a worn dark wedge looks 1000% better than rust. However like I said previously I can deal with the rusty look if its minimal and the whole wedge not just the face.

Wasn’t their a song called Funky Raw Patina.

Rust looks awful and I don’t think I’ll ever understand the appeal.

I’m fine with raw wedges though they don’t show rust very easily here in the desert if kept clean.

Thats why we have options... I think a worn dark wedge looks 1000% better than rust. However like I said previously I can deal with the rusty look if its minimal and the whole wedge not just the face.

My favorite looks are raw and then a dark finish. Even black finish that wears entirely too fast is fine with me. My wedges are my workhorses, I don’t want them to look pristine.

Back