RV Life: Class A, Class B, Class C or Towable?

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
If you are a RVer or hope to be, which class are you? Towables not shown below would be your 5th wheel or Travel Trailer. Also not shown are Super C.

15B39920-CA79-4F44-B816-2D6415291DF7.png

For now I am a Class A since we use it to tow the race trailer. If I was going Full time RV'ing, it would be a fifth wheel. Our 40' MH has 3 slides and is very nice and roomy but the new Fifth wheels are incredible with kitchen islands back decks etc.

Hard to say. I lean towards a 5th wheel for full timing, the problem is I’d want a 5th wheel towed by a tractor, which isn’t the most practical grocery getter. I like the class C’s but they tend to lack guts since the RV companies won’t buy the Diesel engines them. I think a smallish Super C is one of the best options, right up until you look at the price tag.

If I was buying today though I think it’d be 5th wheel.

• Admin
Hard to say. I lean towards a 5th wheel for full timing, the problem is I’d want a 5th wheel towed by a tractor, which isn’t the most practical grocery getter. I like the class C’s but they tend to lack guts since the RV companies won’t buy the Diesel engines them. I think a smallish Super C is one of the best options, right up until you look at the price tag.

If I was buying today though I think it’d be 5th wheel.
There are a number of Cs with diesel now. Both on the smaller side with Mercedes Sprinter chassis or the larger in the Super C variety.

There are a number of Cs with diesel now. Both on the smaller side with Mercedes Sprinter chassis or the larger in the Super C variety.

Interesting. It’s been a while since I looked, and there were some small ones on the sprinter chassis, but everyone else was using the E350 chassis from ford with the V8 or the V10. Good to see more options showing up.

By that scale a B+ is what I’m eyeing. Sprinter Chasis with the turbo diesel.

If I were to get into it I’d probably go C. Seems like the perfect size where you wouldn’t feel on top of other people traveling with you. Class A would probably be too big for my needs and the Class B RVs seem to be too small for comfort on extended trips.

I'm thinking I'd be squarely in the Class C realm.

I think I'd want a travel trailer. I wouldn't have to upgrade my truck that way and I'd be able to unhook and travel around when I need to a little easier. If campgrounds weren't so crazy busy around here I'd seriously consider one.

B+ as long as it had the guts to tow a vehicle behind it.

I've worked on several of these since many use a Ford drivetrain and chassis. I would do Class C! Also, I still don't understand why Class A motorhomes do not require a CDL?!

Class C with a jeep towed behind.

We have a 5th wheel now.

We own a 28 foot towable kz spree 230bh love it

The plan is already in motion savings and plan wise, we have not purchased, We will go full time 5th wheel when we retire. Travel the US for at least a year a figure out where we want to retire....

The plan is already in motion savings and plan wise, we have not purchased, We will go full time 5th wheel when we retire. Travel the US for at least a year a figure out where we want to retire....

Right on :cool:

We spent nearly a year checking out the different types of RVs available. They all had their own positives, and negative attributes

In the end it came down to pricing, no use storage, and warranties. RV warranties are a joke, unless you spend extra money for an extended type. Finding a shop that would honor a warranty was another problem.

We decided to go with a 1 ton truck, and travel trailer. Main reasons were if the truck broke down, we could stay in the trailer while repairs were being done. If the trailer broke down, we still had transportation. Plus we might still be able to stay in the trailer. Motor homes did not allow these options during repairs. You'd definately be on foot, and speding money on a room. Plus, even with a motor home, you most likely are still towing something. A car, boat, or a box trailer.

Also, if using a truck/trailer combo be sure the towing weight does not exceed the truck's tow rating. This is easier said than done.

Towing a 5th wheel is easier than a regular travel trailer. There are less sway issues with a 5ver. However, 5vers tend to be much heavier. The tow vehicle needs to be tougher to handle a 5ver. Both are a pain in the butt when towed in windy conditions. 5vers have a tighter turning radius.

We towed a 31' travel trailer all over the country, and most of Canada. We towed it to Alaska and back, twice. We even towed it down into Mexico a couple of times with a caravan of friends. . We probably put 80K+ miles on our rig in a 10 year period.

Except for a few flat tires here, and there, we had no real problems to speak of. Had a few wild life issues, but that's another story.

I mentioned there was less sway issues with a 5ver. I also need to mention that when properly loaded, using the correct weight distribution connection, and the right size truck, a travel trailer will tow just fine with out much sway. On an open highway, I could travel 65-70 mpg with no issues. That said we were quite happy traveling 80% of the time between 50-60 mph. We were never in a hurry. Our daily runs were measured in hours on the road. Not mileage.

Bottom line is what ever the RVer is comfortable with, driving, or towing that's the way they should go.

We've had several Class A's, a C, a 5th wheel and a couple of pull behinds. They will all work. Guess a lot depends on how many creature comforts you want or need. We probably spend 75% of our time in a 40' destination trailer if Fl or a 31' unit on the lake in NC. Thank goodness we have a reliable person that takes of our home in NC.

Right now we are a towable with our 25 ft. Forest River trailer.
We are looking into trading it up to a Class C this spring.

So they are ranked in order of size Class A - Class C - Class B+ - Class B?

Makes perfect sense.

So they are ranked in order of size Class A - Class C - Class B+ - Class B?

Makes perfect sense.

Sort of but not really. There can C’s that are larger than A’s and of course A,C,B is not really in order ?

I find a travel trailer is the best for me. We camp at destinations where we will be going outside the campground to see and do activities. Setting up once and then having a regular vehicle to run around in is best for this. The other option is to tow a small vehicle behind your class A.

We have a 24 ft towable trailer and it's great for us. We already own a truck to pull it, no mechanical maintenance, easy to store it and forget about it when not needing it.

Back