RV's, Travel Trailers, 5th Wheelers, etc...Camping. Who has what and what you enjoy.

krispyk

Reaction score
Handicap
Depending on how this thread goes maybe we can try to plan a camping/golf event for 2016 season.

We have a 2006 26' Coachman Captiva bunkhouse traveltrailer. Really enjoy hooking up and heading to a new campground whenever we decide that's what we want to do for either just a weekend or a week or two if on vacation. We have been campers pretty much all our lives and probably will be forever. We live out in the woods and can have a campfire whenever we want but it is just more fun when being out on the road.

My folks have 40+ acres in Chautauqua County near Stockton, NY. We have been tent camping there for over 40 years. It's totally roughing it, no electricity or running water, so it's not for everyone.

Class B Mercedes Sprinter Van
Class A Fleetwood Discovery that we are going to sell.

Newmar Dutch Star Diesel Pusher.
I use it to travel when I do the snow bird thing every year. I originally purchased a motorhome because my pet did not travel well in cars but loved traveling in the motor home. I'm a member of an RV club and do occasional trips with them. I've gone out west once to the Grand Canyon and will probably go back out west to Palm Springs one of these days.

Just a small pop up camper for us right now. Will be using it this weekend. We make incremental steps. From tent to this. From this to a hybrid in a few years.

fccf81cf08d999fe2b53657618310c28.jpg

Just a small pop up camper for us right now. Will be using it this weekend. We make incremental steps. From tent to this. From this to a hybrid in a few years.

fccf81cf08d999fe2b53657618310c28.jpg

I grew up camping with a pop-up. It's the perfect mix of tent and camper - if it rains, you've got a bit more space to play cards/games/etc, but you still feel like your camping. And it definitely takes less time to set up than a big tent does.

We just got this bad boy earlier in the year. It's a 2015 34' Autumn Ridge, we go camping throughout the whole year. I took it with me to the Pittsburgh invitational.
edc33dcadfeec78d8a4730700f9c506e.jpg
7371563950eb93acce18a5c354fbf2a7.jpg

My boss has a massive fifth wheel. I love tent camping but I've never really understood the whole house on wheels thing.

We've got a pop-up, transitioned from a tent about 5 years ago. We averaged 30 nights a year since we got it up to this year with 0 :banghead:. Our 16yo is now working and the 12yo is does softball that seems to run 13 months a year. I'd be interested in a camp/golf thing, it'd give me a reason to de-winterize it next year.

We have a 2011 Heartland Big Country 3250TS 5th wheel. Really nice, but we haven't used it much the last two years. Mostly due to family vacations this year and some home remodeling we did last year.

We are looking to downsize a little to a light-weight that we can take on longer trips. Our 3/4 ton truck is pretty much maxed out on the weight we are pulling so I don't feel comfortable pulling it more than 3-4 hours away.

DSC09961.jpg

I grew up camping with a pop-up. It's the perfect mix of tent and camper - if it rains, you've got a bit more space to play cards/games/etc, but you still feel like your camping. And it definitely takes less time to set up than a big tent does.

yup, it was a perfect step up. The inside is perfect for what we need. Has a good dining area, the beds are comfy(and heated mattresses for cold nights), also has a furnace that keeps it warm if need be. The big thing for us was weight and easier to store.

We just got this bad boy earlier in the year. It's a 2015 34' Autumn Ridge, we go camping throughout the whole year. I took it with me to the Pittsburgh invitational.
edc33dcadfeec78d8a4730700f9c506e.jpg
7371563950eb93acce18a5c354fbf2a7.jpg

I loved your trailer. That thing rocked.

yup, it was a perfect step up. The inside is perfect for what we need. Has a good dining area, the beds are comfy(and heated mattresses for cold nights), also has a furnace that keeps it warm if need be. The big thing for us was weight and easier to store.

Heated mattresses? Things have really stepped up since the mid-80s era one we had.

We used a 1983 coleman pop-up for about 10yrs that we bought from my cousin, who was the original owner, and we still have it but the canvas finally got to the point that we just didn't want to monkey with it anymore to clean and patch it. But hey after 33 years on the road it did it's job well and had lots of fun with it.

68982c99bf1866d1d28cdf0906d60714.jpg

Spree LX 28BHS. Love it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I loved your trailer. That thing rocked.
Nothing beats 3 Deans in a Queen

The wife and I have been recently looking at getting into the RV scene. We have looked at 5th wheel and towed trailers without making a solid decision as yet. Still working through the whole price/size/tow vehicle rubric. Other considerations are storage costs when not in use and specifics on where to camp when we do travel. We are in the south jersey area near Philly and feel like an 8 to 10 hour travel radius should work comfortably for long weekend type trips. I'm interested in any helpful information related to camp sites and activities in this general area. Additional helpful info, she likes the beach, I'm looking for a golf course!

The wife and I have been recently looking at getting into the RV scene. We have looked at 5th wheel and towed trailers without making a solid decision as yet. Still working through the whole price/size/tow vehicle rubric. Other considerations are storage costs when not in use and specifics on where to camp when we do travel. We are in the south jersey area near Philly and feel like an 8 to 10 hour travel radius should work comfortably for long weekend type trips. I'm interested in any helpful information related to camp sites and activities in this general area. Additional helpful info, she likes the beach, I'm looking for a golf course!

Hi otterman, cant really help on specific places down your way as Im up closer to Erie, Pa but there should be plenty of places down the coast within the 8 to 10hr drive. I will say thats a long run for a weekend trip tho so I would recommend doing some searching closer to home for the times you want to camp but dont want to spend a day getting there and another getting home.

I have a 32ft travel trailer but our next one will be a 5th wheel. 5th wheels tow better than travel trailers due to not incurring as much sway and bouce because the connection is over the tires instead of at the rear of the truck. Biggest thing with towing either is make sure you have a big enough tow vehicle for the weight of the camper. More truck is always better.

I have a 2015 32 ft Sprinter Campfire edition on a seasonal site in Maine. Cheapest vacation house you can get. It's blocked up and has a deck, everything is always ready to go all the time.

I'm the last on the row and the site next to me is for transits. Love pulling in the same time Friday night as a weekend next to me. They spend 2 hours fighting with their wife about setting up their site and I just crack a beer and sit on my deck.

One thing I really like about mine is the outside kitchen. So much easier to cook on the grill and use a folding or picnic table for food prep than the cramped inside kitchen with no counter space.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I have a 2015 32 ft Sprinter Campfire edition on a seasonal site in Maine. Cheapest vacation house you can get. It's blocked up and has a deck, everything

I'm the last on the row and the site next to me is for transits. Love pulling in the same time Friday night as a weekend next to me. They spend 2 hours fighting with their wife about setting up their site and I just crack a beer and sit on my deck.

One thing I really like about mine is the outside kitchen. So much easier to cook on the grill and use a folding or picnic table for food prep than the cramped inside kitchen with no counter space.

Similar setup. Annual lot on the beach. No muss no fuss. Put the clothes and groceries away and we’re set for the weekend or a week.

Hi otterman, cant really help on specific places down your way as Im up closer to Erie, Pa but there should be plenty of places down the coast within the 8 to 10hr drive. I will say thats a long run for a weekend trip tho so I would recommend doing some searching closer to home for the times you want to camp but dont want to spend a day getting there and another getting home.

I have a 32ft travel trailer but our next one will be a 5th wheel. 5th wheels tow better than travel trailers due to not incurring as much sway and bouce because the connection is over the tires instead of at the rear of the truck. Biggest thing with towing either is make sure you have a big enough tow vehicle for the weight of the camper. More truck is always better.

Thanks for the input. We've been looking at both towed and 5th wheel. Trying to keep the size of the rig down to where I don't need a 1 ton or dual's to tow it. The 8 to 10 is kind of an upper limit. Our daughter recently moved to Ind. That was a 12 hour drive in a U-Haul. We might use it for a visit there or get them to meet us halfway. 32 foot looks like a "sweet spot" so far. Any smaller is a bit cramped for 4 to 6, larger just drives the weight and cost up dramatically.

We have a 2011 Heartland Big Country 3250TS 5th wheel. Really nice, but we haven't used it much the last two years. Mostly due to family vacations this year and some home remodeling we did last year.

We are looking to downsize a little to a light-weight that we can take on longer trips. Our 3/4 ton truck is pretty much maxed out on the weight we are pulling so I don't feel comfortable pulling it more than 3-4 hours away.

DSC09961.jpg

I never updated this post. We did downsize a bit to a 29 ft 2015 Primetime Crusader 5th wheel. It's about 3 feet shorter and 2,000 lbs lighter than the Big Country. We also replaced our 2003 Silverado 2500HD with a 2015 model. It's so much easier to tow. I did give up the massive amount of underneath storage that the Big Country had, but I still have enough room for what we need.
fc31df687e14c222a05fd9fac03a2727.jpg

Heading up to Maine to winterize the Sprinter this weekend. Luckily looking like an 80 degree weekend and with no rain, which is really nice. So much easier to close up the site and the camper when it's dry and not 50 degrees. Might even take the boat for one last rip before that goes over to the Marina until May.

I have a motorhome that I use. When I retire, it will get more miles on it. ;)

zFt3Cn8.jpg

I have a park model mobile home at a campground about 30 min from my house. Absolutely love camping and just the pure relaxation!
My mode of transportation is one of the best parts:cool:
IMG_20170525_162103630.jpg

RVing ain't camping!:greenalien:

My backyard setup for now, taken it out in the wilderness a couple times so far this season (stop raining!). Still waiting on the new backpacker tent to arrive from China.

Nothing expensive, 9x12 tarp folded to 9x9 in a plowpoint configuration, lots of room for activities, all-season reflective blanket, Komperdell trekker poles, inflatable pad, mummy bag (although I do sometimes use a fleece bag/blanket), dollarstore inflatable pillow. It all fits in a 30+10L pack with lots of room to spare.

IMG_20200603_211634.jpg

Back