Ryo Ishikawa Makes the Switch to Srixon

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
This is a press release

Srixon® Sports is pleased to announce that Ryo Ishikawa, the Japan Golf Tour Organization’s (JGTO) top money earner for 2009, has signed a multi-year contract to play Srixon® golf balls.

Born on September 17, 1991, Ishikawa became the youngest winner of a men’s tournament on the JGTO by winning the 2007 Munsingwear Open KSB Cup, at the age of 15 years and 8 months. Ishikawa turned professional in 2008 and won his second tournament on the JGTO, the Minavi ABC Championship. By the end of the 2008 season, Ishikawa had become the youngest player to reach the top 100 of the Official Golf Rankings. With a total of four wins on the JGTO in 2009, Ishikawa became the youngest player to reach the top 50 in the Official World Golf Rankings. As the top-ranked Japanese player in the World Rankings, Ishikawa finished the 2009 season atop the JGTO money list with earnings in excess of 180 million yen ($1.9 million) and at the 2009 JGTO awards, Ishikawa earned a total of 9 awards, including top money earner, JGTO MVP, best scoring average (69.93), best putting average (1.724), as well as highest number of birdies (4.42) on the JGTO.

“We are extremely pleased to have a player the caliber of Ishikawa as a member of the Srixon® family,” said Rodney McDonald, Vice President of Tour Operations for Cleveland® Golf/Srixon®. “His drive to win and decision to make the switch to Srixon® balls is further testimony to the fact that we make a better ball.”

Is there any notes saying if he's playing them this weekend?

• Admin
He is according to his PR team.

I noticed that he was using a Srixon that last time he played. What did he use before? I am guessing a pro V1

Actually, I am not too surprised... Since Srixon is basically owned by Sumitomo Rubber Industries, it is not too far fetched to see Ryo pick up a Japanese sponsor...

• Admin
Actually, I am not too surprised... Since Srixon is basically owned by Sumitomo Rubber Industries, it is not too far fetched to see Ryo pick up a Japanese sponsor...

At the same time, there are so many such as Bridgestone/Tourstage. According to his people, he tried out a lot of balls and had his choice of any one. He chose this one over a couple of others.

This is pretty cool. I am a big fan of the Srixon products. Pretty much the only ball I will play.

I like to see more pros using them and awareness growing.

:banghead: I used Ryo as my fantasy golf pick with his new Srixon balls and he missed the cut!! :at-wits-end:

Back