sad day for ncaa football

cg13

Addict
Reaction score
Handicap
OOB 13.3
i cant even accept this. there is no way cam should have been eligible to play this year after this.

let alone in a national champ game.

im sorry - but this is just wrong. I know he displaced himself from his father - well enough that he couldnt be touched. but it was wrong. they got money to play for auburn. and now a title and a heisman.

Im sure this is going to get flamed. Ive had several - so im comfortable posting it. But its a joke. the ncaa is now a joke.

So any incoming player can have their uncle, father, whatever shop them to a school for their talents? with no penalty?!?!

unbelieveable.

I usually withold from topics like this- and i dont think ive involved myself with any here at THP - but this makes me sick.

As much as I was "rooting" for Auburn because of some alma maters in my family, it is a joke. Cam Newton and Auburn did as much or more wrong than Reggie Bush and USC.

+1
In few years he will have to give up the Heisman and the program will get punished (just like USC), really sad thing is kids won't be able to play in bowl games for something they didn't do... Someone will talk, someone always talks (thats how they go Bush)

What happened? Was there some shenanigans concerning Newton and his recruitment to Auburn?

What do you expect. NCAA showed their true colors twice this year. 1) with turning a blind eye to Newton, and 2) the Pryor Ohio State mess. It is a joke!

I wasn't being funny. I heard something during the game about his father not being able to attend the game, but beyond that...?

It was discovered that his dad was shopping him around to different universities. He was reportedly asking 150K+ for Newton to play at Mississippi State. Obviously he didn't end up playing at MS, but it begs the question, what did he get from Auburn to make him turn down that kind of $$$?

I wasn't being funny. I heard something during the game about his father not being able to attend the game, but beyond that...?

His father, allegedly, solicited large sums of money from boosters at Mississippi State and probably Auburn to influence his decision on where his son would play. And because it was the father, Cecil Newton, received the benefit and not the player, Cam Newton, the NCAA ruled him eligible.

His dad tried to sell Newton to Mississippi State and after he went to Auburn, it came out. As of now, there's no proof that Auburn "bought" Cam's services but like it was said earlier...if there were some shenanigans, it will come out.

Thanks for the explanation. The father receiving a benefit and not the son? Seems like a rather thin line, i.e., any benefit the father receives would naturally fall to the son in some way, shape, or form.

Thanks for the explanation. The father receiving a benefit and not the son? Seems like a rather thin line, i.e., any benefit the father receives would naturally fall to the son in some way, shape, or form.

Not the way the NCAA sees it! I mean cause they benifit more than anyone by letting Newton play.

Not the way the NCAA sees it! I mean cause they benifit more than anyone by letting Newton play.

Once the checks clear, we will see the big investigation and probation and forfeit their trophies. Remember, Michigan never went to the Final Four in the early 90s accoriding to the NCAA record books.

Once the checks clear, we will see the big investigation and probation and forfeit their trophies. Remember, Michigan never went to the Final Four in the early 90s accoriding to the NCAA record books.

What checks? These type of transactions are done with checks, they are done with cash money! If there was a check, then Auburn should have put a stop payment on it three months ago!

What checks? These type of transactions are done with checks, they are done with cash money! If there was a check, then Auburn should have put a stop payment on it three months ago!

I meant the checks from the advertisers and sponsors to the NCAA. Once the NCAA has been paid, they will investigate, frown at Auburn, and be "disappointed in the conduct of this institution."

I meant the checks from the advertisers and sponsors to the NCAA. Once the NCAA has been paid, they will investigate, frown at Auburn, and be "disappointed in the conduct of this institution."

You are dead on!

This thread disappoints me, a guy just won a National championship and all you can do is call him a cheater. Come on now.

That's all I have to say about it, not trying to start anything, and this post is not directed at any one person.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What does the national title matter? and if you read my contention is how disappointed I am in the NCAA. Newton is just benefiting from the NCAA's desire to line there pockets with money from sponsors. Why else turn a blind eye toward Newton and Pryor.

This thread disappoints me, a guy just won a National championship and all you can do is call him a cheater. Come on now.

That's all I have to say about it, not trying to start anything, and this post is not directed at any one person.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You think BG would still be saying this if it was OSU that won the National Championship? :alien:

Guys father got caught in a cheating scandal. As of right now it was shown that not only did Cam not know about it, he got nothing for going to Auburn. If proof comes out down the road that this is different, then I will be the first one to call him dirty. Until that time, there is nothing more that needs to be said in my opinion.

Well other than I assume that the original poster feels even worse about OSU winning a bowl game right? After all, there is actual proof of them cheating and they still got to play in a bowl game and won.

things that make you go hmmm. this thread is one of them. the ncaa investigated the situation and they deemed Cam Newton innocent. is he? i don't know, nor do any of you, but the ncaa felt he was, so he had every right to win the heisman, and every right to play in that football game. i honestly can't believe some of the stuff that comes out of you B10 guys. you are all extremely loyal and proud of your conference ties, and there's not a thing wrong with that, but c'mon, this was a big, big reach.

and one more thing, to give cam newton the credit for winning the nat'l championship is not even remotely true, or at least you watched a different game than i did. auburn's defense came to play, more specifically, the front four. they absolutely dominated that game, and absolutely stuffed the running game of the ducks. oregon should've thrown the ball a whole lot more. anyone who's watched any auburn football this year knows that one on one, they struggle with covering receivers, and oregon had great success when they did throw. so why did they keep up with the option game, when clearly it wasn't working?

so far I'm hearing that it was newton's dad that did the shopping....not the schools. is that right? if that's the case....

how exactly does that make cam newton a cheater? (unless you bring into account that laptop at Florida and those tests and stuff but you didn't.....but I have back-up for that)

thats why he.... the dad......NOT the boosters....can't be anywhere near a college football game.

sounds like mississppis state kept quiet until auburns season caught fire and then played their hand.

TC, you're completely right.

things that make you go hmmm. this thread is one of them. the ncaa investigated the situation and they deemed Cam Newton innocent. is he? i don't know, nor do any of you, but the ncaa felt he was, so he had every right to win the heisman, and every right to play in that football game. i honestly can't believe some of the stuff that comes out of you B10 guys. you are all extremely loyal and proud of your conference ties, and there's not a thing wrong with that, but c'mon, this was a big, big reach.

I think you guys are missing the point of the thread. My take on the thread is disappointment in the sad state of the NCAA and their ruling decisions relating to the major sports. Would they have deamed reggie bush innocent if he just said he didnt know his parents were getting free housing? Look @ Selby the bball player from KU, they sat him out until he repaid his benefit money, then okayed him to play. However, they wouldnt let the european kid enes repay his european travel salary and ruled him ineligible for 4 years of college bball. The NCAA also gave memphis the okay to play derrick rose (like they did with newton & auburn), only to wipe away their final 4 and their dream season. The OSU situation this year was a complete joke, the ncaa just didnt want to tick off the sponsors & rich alums by making pryor & co unavailable against arkansas. the ncaa is a joke for mjaor sports, and its very clear.

I was lucky enough to play 'non-revenue' D1 sports in college a few yrs ago, and think the ncaa is great for the smaller sports. They just need to break off the revenue sports, pay the players (something), and get a consistent governing body.

I am from OH, but do not follow 1 ncaa football team, especially not osu.

Back