Salvaging an adapter tip

gmiller598

Par 3 Net Zero
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
In the past when I’ve had a tip replaced on a shaft the tip the gets removed is pretty much demolished. Is it feasible to be able to remove it without damage and reuse it?

I’m considering having a driver shaft repurposed as a fairway wood shaft and ProjectX recommendations are to trim the tip 1/2”. Just wondering if I’ll need to invest in a new tip or can potentially reuse the existing one.

It’s possible, but it depends all the adapter and what it’s made out of. Plastic, no chance. Metal, you’ll be okay. The ferrule won’t survive though. Depending on what adapter it is, it’s probably just easier to buy a new one and not have to worry about the adapter at all

You can reuse the same tip, below is Golfworks solution. Ferrules are iffy and the tips are most often are aluminum and with too much heat the paint will flake a little leaving it discolored were the heat was applied if not careful.

I do it all the time. The ferrule won't survive the heat, but I've never had a bad adapter after removal. Don't use a blowtorch and just use a heat gun.

It’s possible, but it depends all the adapter and what it’s made out of. Plastic, no chance. Metal, you’ll be okay. The ferrule won’t survive though. Depending on what adapter it is, it’s probably just easier to buy a new one and not have to worry about the adapter at all
You can reuse the same tip, below is Golfworks solution. Ferrules are iffy and the tips are most often are aluminum and with too much heat the paint will flake a little leaving it discolored were the heat was applied if not careful.
it’s a Ping adapter FWIW. Spending the 20 buck for a new one probably is the best result.

it’s a Ping adapter FWIW. Spending the 20 buck for a new one probably is the best result.
GolfWorks has 400 and 410 in lefty in stock currently.

Just get a new adapter. Possibly new driver altogether.

Just get a new adapter. Possibly new driver altogether.
I'm good on the driver front. Just maybe need a new 3w shaft, that's all.

The Pings used to be one piece and metal and one of the easier ones to pop off if they are still similar. (y)

It’s not difficult to save the adapter AND the ferrule. Use heat low and away from the ferrule. Once the adapter is off, use a cut open grip to remove the ferrule. The inside of grips are great for removing ferrules without damaging them. I save adapter/ferrules all the time with this method. Let me know if you need a video if I’m not making sense. Haha

Here’s a Ping adapter after a recent job performed by PGATSS. Salvageable?
5D3F83CB-65B6-4952-A91E-223B2902C5EE.jpeg27721E66-30F5-4C4F-A284-8B16554797A9.jpeg7B989ED0-CA24-4490-96D2-0161CB95843E.jpeg

Here’s a Ping adapter after a recent job performed by PGATSS. Salvageable?
View attachment 8972042View attachment 8972043View attachment 8972044
They do sell replacement OEM ferrules for Ping adapters at GolfWorks, but as stated above I wouldn’t put much merit into box store repairs or work.

As stated above, it's possible to have time and ferrule. Patience is key.

Back