San Antonio Aug. 5th 2023

Coloradomrg

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Golf
I'll be in San Antonio 8/4-8/9 for a conference and have set aside 8/5 for golf. Will have a vendor with me, so looking for somewhere nice but not too overpriced. We're staying near the convention center, and will have to uber around so that might play into where we can play too.

Given the crazy heat, I'm kind of assuming we need to tee off as early as possible.

Thoughts? Anyone in the area interested in joining us?

I enjoyed the Quarry

The Quarry will be the most popular answer, if you choose it you won't be disappointed. However, book early and definitely get an early tee time; the back nine is inside the old quarry and the air doesn't move much in there.

If you're more into traditional golf play Brackenridge Park. It's 'a little' closer to downtown and it has a lot of history hosting PGA events. The likes of Ben Hogan and Sam Sneed have won there. It's the oldest municipal golf course in Texas, built in 1916, designed by AW Tillinghast and the original home of the Texas Open.

The Quarry will be the most popular answer, if you choose it you won't be disappointed. However, book early and definitely get an early tee time; the back nine is inside the old quarry and the air doesn't move much in there.

If you're more into traditional golf play Brackenridge Park. It's 'a little' closer to downtown and it has a lot of history hosting PGA events. The likes of Ben Hogan and Sam Sneed have won there. It's the oldest municipal golf course in Texas, built in 1916, designed by AW Tillinghast and the original home of the Texas Open.
Yes The Quarry is nice but will be very hot. I’ve played it twice in March on days that were upper 80’s and it was hot. A fun reasonable course that I played and really liked was Canyon Springs.

Yes The Quarry is nice but will be very hot. I’ve played it twice in March on days that were upper 80’s and it was hot. A fun reasonable course that I played and really liked was Canyon Springs.
Canyon Springs would be a good choice too, it's further away, could be double the cost for an Uber compared to The Quarry. They have a couple Long Horns on property, always good for a Texas Photo.

The Hyatt Hill Country Resort Course is another decent option to consider.

Calling my vendor in the morning. I think I'll have him book Canyon Springs around 7am, earlier if he can get himself out of bed ;)

Leaning towards renting a car for 24 hours so I don't have to mess with extra ubers. It'll be about the same cost.

Agh I'll be out of town that Friday - Monday or I woulda loved to play with another THPer!

People are on the money here, The Quarry and Canyon Springs are great. Playing at Canyon Springs on the weekend, you'll be 4:30 hr or plus for the round. But course wise, it is my favorite in San Antonio and what I would recommend for someone visiting for one round.

Canyon Springs booked for 7:00 am. We only booked for 2, so if anyone is interested in joining us there is availability :)

Canyon Springs booked for 7:00 am. We only booked for 2, so if anyone is interested in joining us there is availability :)
I'd like to come down to play but will be heading to Abilene that weekend.

If you can drive out to castroville the Alsatian is in great shape and has more water/ breeze than the quarry.

mid love to meet up and show you my hacking skills but I’ll be picking my little man up from summer camp in the hill country.

Last edited:
Canyon Springs was very nice - and plenty difficult. Lost plenty of balls, including a few G Chromesofts. The 7:00 tee time was perfect as we beat the worst of the heat pretty easily.

Back