San Antonio Courses

mattglavin

Reaction score
Handicap
Hey guys,

I'll be in San Antonio in early October for work, and will likely have a chance to get in a round or two. Anyone have a favorite course to recommend? I'm staying at the Hyatt Regency Hill County and would love to find somewhere reasonably close. Thanks!

Matt

Fort Sam Houston's 36 holes are split from the old course, originally an AW Tillinghast design that used to host the Texas Open. So if you were to play the front of Las Lomas GC and the back of Salado Del Rio you would play the original design. From that I'm told, both those courses are very nice, and open to the public.

I try to keep up with notable military golf courses, and that one is high on my bucket list.

The Hyatt Regency Hill Country has 27 holes on property... Hard to get any closer than that. TPC is a good track too

The Hyatt Regency Hill Country has 27 holes on property... Hard to get any closer than that. TPC is a good track too

Ha! That’s awesome. Pretty sure that answers the question. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ha! That’s awesome. Pretty sure that answers the question. Thanks!

That resort also has an awesome pool with a huge lazy river. After golf may I suggest an activity?

1. Eat at Bill Miller BBQ, make sure to keep plastic cup with lid from your iced tea.

2. Fill Bill Miller BBQ cup with booze

3. Get in tube and float around lazy river

4. Repeat steps 2 and 3 until you are in a state of complete relaxation.

We go to this resort once a year and LOVE it!! Have Fun!!

That resort also has an awesome pool with a huge lazy river. After golf may I suggest an activity?

1. Eat at Bill Miller BBQ, make sure to keep plastic cup with lid from your iced tea.

2. Fill Bill Miller BBQ cup with booze

3. Get in tube and float around lazy river

4. Repeat steps 2 and 3 until you are in a state of complete relaxation.

We go to this resort once a year and LOVE it!! Have Fun!!

Sounds like a blast! Thanks!

There's also "The Golf Club of Texas", just outside Loop 1604 off of Hwy 90. Not a far drive from where you're at. Cedar Creek is also another nice course just north on 1604. Lot's of courses here to play.

Of the suggestions you have so far playing at the Hyatt Resort is your best choice; can't beat having a course where you're staying.

The Quarry is a great, somewhat links style, course. Everyone loves to play there but it is expensive unless you play in the afternoon during the week.

Cedar Creek is a hill country course. It's one of the courses on what is called the 'Alamo Trail'. I love the layout, especially the back nine. This is a public course and it gets a lot of play, rounds can take a while.

The Golf Club of Texas also isn't too far from the Hyatt. Great club, good food, nice layout. The only thing I don't like about this track is that the greens can be hard, they don't hold the ball very well.

Fort Sam has two course, mentioned above. It's nice to play courses with some history but these are not always in the best shape as they sometimes struggle with the greens; more so than the courses at Randolph and Lackland. I've played all of these too many times to count and, personally, would choose one of the many other options in the SA area.

TPC has two courses; the Oaks is where they play the Texas Open and the Champions Tour plays on the Canyons. Both are fun to play and they're always is great condition but you'll pay-up to play there.

The two La Cantera courses are both near Cedar Creek. Both good tracks and usually in very good shape. They have the Resort Course near their resort and The Palmer (my favorite) off property. I love playing The Palmer but it's tough, very challenging.

Of the suggestions you have so far playing at the Hyatt Resort is your best choice; can't beat having a course where you're staying.

The Quarry is a great, somewhat links style, course. Everyone loves to play there but it is expensive unless you play in the afternoon during the week.

Cedar Creek is a hill country course. It's one of the courses on what is called the 'Alamo Trail'. I love the layout, especially the back nine. This is a public course and it gets a lot of play, rounds can take a while.

The Golf Club of Texas also isn't too far from the Hyatt. Great club, good food, nice layout. The only thing I don't like about this track is that the greens can be hard, they don't hold the ball very well.

Fort Sam has two course, mentioned above. It's nice to play courses with some history but these are not always in the best shape as they sometimes struggle with the greens; more so than the courses at Randolph and Lackland. I've played all of these too many times to count and, personally, would choose one of the many other options in the SA area.

TPC has two courses; the Oaks is where they play the Texas Open and the Champions Tour plays on the Canyons. Both are fun to play and they're always is great condition but you'll pay-up to play there.

The two La Cantera courses are both near Cedar Creek. Both good tracks and usually in very good shape. They have the Resort Course near their resort and The Palmer (my favorite) off property. I love playing The Palmer but it's tough, very challenging.

I quickly moved on from the Palmer course. Two blind shots (one off the tee, and another on the approach) on 14 of 18 holes got a little tiring.

You're right about GCOT. It's a pretty solid track with some fun holes. But the conditions vary. It seems like they have a watering season, and a dry season. Good thing about it is that it's cheap (I think the most I've ever paid was $45 on a saturday morning.) Not sure if they still do it, but during the week they offer a promotion where they'll sell you a beer after your round for the price of your score (i.e. shoot 82, pay 82 cents for your beer)

You're right about GCOT. It's a pretty solid track with some fun holes. But the conditions vary. It seems like they have a watering season, and a dry season. Good thing about it is that it's cheap (I think the most I've ever paid was $45 on a saturday morning.) Not sure if they still do it, but during the week they offer a promotion where they'll sell you a beer after your round for the price of your score (i.e. shoot 82, pay 82 cents for your beer)
They do the same thing at The Bandit in New Braunsfels but I didn't know they did that at GCOT; good to know...

Fort Sam Houston's 36 holes are split from the old course, originally an AW Tillinghast design that used to host the Texas Open. So if you were to play the front of Las Lomas GC and the back of Salado Del Rio you would play the original design. From that I'm told, both those courses are very nice, and open to the public.

I try to keep up with notable military golf courses, and that one is high on my bucket list.
I can't count how many times I've played Ft Sam, must be close to 100 going back to 91, and I don't think I ever knew AW Tillinghast designed the original course. It makes sense though, those two nines belong with each other.

Back