BigLeftyinAZ

Reaction score
Hi Everybody who lives around the San Antonio area. We are feeling the urge to move out of AZ and San Antonio area is one I'm considering. A few areas that have been mentioned to me are the new braunfels area and Boerne.Was told to stay away from the southern area towards sea world. Any other areas to consider or not ? What are the courses like in the area?Is there a good location that would allow one to be centered within all courses around?

I've heard many courses don't overseed and go dormant during the colder months.What's it like to play on that? Can you go into details on what to expect weather wise? I've heard weather changes drastically sometimes week to week. Is that annoying?

Thanks for any info you can provide and sorry if i posted this in the wrong area.

my wifes grandparents live in new braunfels. beautiful small town, it can get pretty darn cold there in the winter.

why not move to flagstaff? ;)

We loved Sonterra on the North side

We loved Sonterra on the North side

Will check into that. How about alittle info on the courses and cost to play? Property tax rate? Thank you

Hi Everybody who lives around the San Antonio area. We are feeling the urge to move out of AZ and San Antonio area is one I'm considering. A few areas that have been mentioned to me are the new braunfels area and Boerne.Was told to stay away from the southern area towards sea world. Any other areas to consider or not ? What are the courses like in the area?Is there a good location that would allow one to be centered within all courses around?

I've heard many courses don't overseed and go dormant during the colder months.What's it like to play on that? Can you go into details on what to expect weather wise? I've heard weather changes drastically sometimes week to week. Is that annoying?

Thanks for any info you can provide and sorry if i posted this in the wrong area.

I have lived in and around San Antonio for over 25 years, it might be easier to go over all of your questions over the phone. :)

However, to highlight your questions...

New Braunfels and Boerne are awesome areas to live. Both are about 30-45 minutes away from SA, but are becoming boom towns so cost and population are going up fast.

Sea World is actually on the west/north west side of town. Not in itself an area to avoid, other than the growth that is going on. To the point of the 'south side' of town... yea, not my first, second, or third choice.

The courses are well spread all over town, living on the north/north east side of town would put you in the better position to reach as many as possible, if you can deal with the cost of living and traffic.

On the subject of SA winter golf. Typical Texas tight lights magnified by 10 times. It almost forces you to pick the ball rather than taking a divot. The weather can be frustrating at times, if you don't like it... wait about an hour and it typically changes. For example, in the fall I have started a round with sun and 80 outside and made the turn with wind, rain, and 58. Just to finish with a beautiful 65 and sun again. This isn't always the case, but it does happen.

If you want to go into some serious detail about the area, shoot me a PM and we will hop on the phone, be more than happy to answer any question and point you in the right direction.

Just getting back into the game. Been a little ng time away .Shocked not much happened on this thread .

SA isn’t as bad in winter as more northern parts of Texas. You will have some days or maybe a week or so of cold bad weather but I have also played on a 75* Christmas Day and I’m a little north of Austin. Sonterra that was mention is a sister club to mine. They have 36 holes and I e heard it used to be really nice. The company that owns it now sucks but they are trying to sell so it could get better. There’s lots of good public courses around San Antonio though and prices aren’t too bad.

This thread started 8 years ago, so where did you end up moving to?
Just getting back into the game. Been a little ng time away .Shocked not much happened on this thread .

This thread started 8 years ago, so where did you end up moving to?
I move 4 times with a 20 mile radius.
Started near stone oak ,went to spring Branch then Bulverde and now on edge of new Braunfels closer to bulverde then new Braunfels

How many members live near this area ?

Back