San Diego golf October 22-25

Lynchburg14

Reaction score
Handicap
Just found out that I am going with my wife to San Diego this October 22-25th. While she is at work conference I am free to roam around. My first thought was I need to surf and play golf on the west coast. So I am hoping yall can help me figure out things while I am there.

1. Do I play Torrey Pines since who knows if I will ever be back near that area? Also what kind of $$$ would I be looking at and are singles allowed (unless a THPer wants to meet me and play)

2. Are there other golf courses that are a better play for the $$$

3. Coming from Norfolk VA is it better to fly with my clubs or use like ship sticks?

4. What are some good eats and things to do at night when I get back to the hotel with her?

Paging @CarlosCaliente

Torrey is great but pretty overrated, especially for the price they charge out of city players.

I played Torrey Pines while there for duty. I enjoyed the course. I used a hard case and flew with my sticks.

I'll be in socal that week. Defiantly a possibility.

If Torrey is on your list of must play courses I say go for it. Its gonna cost you nearly $300 if I remember correctly but I have never paid the non-resident price. How many rounds are you looking to play and where are you staying?

San Diego golf October 22-25

Paging @CarlosCaliente

You da man Nate!

OP, Torrey is definitely a possibility. I would recommend ship sticks unless you fly southwest and bags are free. Fupresti is correct, the price for out of towners is insane. Let me know what day you plan on playing and I'm sure I can join you for a round. Unless you have to tee off at a certain time I will try to grab a tee time a week before you get here.

As for food and places to go, what kind of things do you and your wife enjoy as far as atmosphere? Plenty of bars and restaurants in gaslamp while the zoo and wild animal park is great as well.

Our hotel of choice is the courtyard Marriott in the old bank building in the gas lamp area. Lots of history in that hotel. Like others have said there's a bevy of bars and restaurants in the gaslamp and little Italy areas. If you got the time. Take the USS midway tour, something you won't forget.
Oh and pacific beach has some good restaurants. Hard to beat Konos for a hearty breakfast b4 golf.

If Torrey is on your list of must play courses I say go for it. Its gonna cost you nearly $300 if I remember correctly but I have never paid the non-resident price. How many rounds are you looking to play and where are you staying?

I knew it would cost me more than I have ever or want to pay for a round of golf. We are staying at the Sheraton San Diego Hotel and Marina, that is where her company is putting us up. Was only looking to play one round

You da man Nate!

OP, Torrey is definitely a possibility. I would recommend ship sticks unless you fly southwest and bags are free. Fupresti is correct, the price for out of towners is insane. Let me know what day you plan on playing and I'm sure I can join you for a round. Unless you have to tee off at a certain time I will try to grab a tee time a week before you get here.

As for food and places to go, what kind of things do you and your wife enjoy as far as atmosphere? Plenty of bars and restaurants in gaslamp while the zoo and wild animal park is great as well.

Thanks for the response, I will check to see what airline we are flying but ship sticks sounds like that might be it. As for golf it would be great if you were able to play I can play anytime really on that Monday the 23rd or Tuesday the 25th. As for food we would like a bar and restaurant something different for each night. We are staying at the Sheraton by the marina.

Thanks for the response, I will check to see what airline we are flying but ship sticks sounds like that might be it. As for golf it would be great if you were able to play I can play anytime really on that Monday the 23rd or Tuesday the 25th. As for food we would like a bar and restaurant something different for each night. We are staying at the Sheraton by the marina.

While I'm not a local, we have some favorites....

Lou & Mickey's Steakhouse in the Gaslamp
Extraordinary Desserts for, well, for dessert
Hob Nob Hill is a great little diner in the Little Italy area
If you venture north to La Jolla for Torrey Pines, breakfast at The Cottage is a must.

While I'm not a local, we have some favorites....

Lou & Mickey's Steakhouse in the Gaslamp
Extraordinary Desserts for, well, for dessert
Hob Nob Hill is a great little diner in the Little Italy area
If you venture north to La Jolla for Torrey Pines, breakfast at The Cottage is a must.

Top choice recommendations here OP. Never heard of anyone disappointed with the quality of food at Lou & Mickey's.

If your only going to play one round Torrey would be my choice. There are tons of good little restaurants in that area. One of my favorites is the Prado in Balboa Park. Other then that I have my local hole in the wall joints if you like wings you have to go to Dirty Birds in PB.

San Diego is just one cool city.

From where you are staying cruise right down the street to Coasterra, awesome restaurant with an exceptional view of the city. Less than a mile from your hotel.

Back