San Francisco dining?

SouthernShred

'16 Grandaddy Champ - Team Unity
Reaction score
Handicap
My office is in SF and I’ve been to SF easily 150+ times, but I’m always looking for somewhere new to eat or grab a cocktail. I primarily work in SOMA. Ideas?

My office is in SF and I’ve been to SF easily 150+ times, but I’m always looking for somewhere new to eat or grab a cocktail. I primarily work in SOMA. Ideas?
Osha Thai is one of my favorite spots (though haven't been in years) There's one not too far from your office

Izzys Steakhouse in the Marina.

A friend swears by Little Joe's (rain or shine there's always a line) but I've never been.

Have always had good meals at The Stinkng Rose in North Beach.

The 1st and 3rd recommendation are in fun areas, easy to walk around the neighborhood and find fun bars after dinner.

Last edited:
Love Osha Thai, also try Town Hall their Blacken Shrimp Happy Hour dish is excellent, for dinner try their Spicy Grilled Pork Chop

I'm in SF for a few days in May as part of my trip to Pebble. We're staying at the Presidio. What are your suggestions for good places in the general area? Can't miss places elsewhere?

I'm in SF for a few days in May as part of my trip to Pebble. We're staying at the Presidio. What are your suggestions for good places in the general area? Can't miss places elsewhere?
Phil's fish Market in Moss Landing is absolutely amazing. Some of the best bloodies - great oysters amazing seafood.

In Salinas there's this place called "La Costa" - it's a cash only Mexican joint right on main street, probably some of the best authentic Mexican food in America I've ever had.

Pizza My Heart in Santa Cruz

It's not special but Fogo De Chao on Santana Row is pretty great overall I used to enjoy going there.

Probably 100 other places - I don't spend much time in the city so most of my trips were around the area. Don't sleep on the fried food in Oakland either.

Phil's fish Market in Moss Landing is absolutely amazing. Some of the best bloodies - great oysters amazing seafood.

In Salinas there's this place called "La Costa" - it's a cash only Mexican joint right on main street, probably some of the best authentic Mexican food in America I've ever had.

Pizza My Heart in Santa Cruz

It's not special but Fogo De Chao on Santana Row is pretty great overall I used to enjoy going there.

Probably 100 other places - I don't spend much time in the city so most of my trips were around the area. Don't sleep on the fried food in Oakland either.
Thanks. I've taken note of your mentions of food in the Monterey area for our trip, too.

@Parrot any type of food in particular you would be interested in? Tons of good restaurants, but with covid things have changed a bit but I can do some digging for recs.

Thanks. I've taken note of your mentions of food in the Monterey area for our trip, too.
I don't know if they are still there but in Monterey itself (like on the wharf) is old fishermans grotto (decent food) and off the wharf is Benihana - one of those cook at the table places if you have never been.

I also forgot my favorite date restaurant in Big Sur (call it an hour south on PCH from Monterey) is Nepenthe. Glorious and amazing. Take a drive, down in the afternoon, eat on the ocean over a cliff and drive back with the sunset.

Flying Fish Grill in Carmel-by-the-Sea is fantastic. Very small and quiet. Excellent food and service and the owner is amazing!

@Parrot any type of food in particular you would be interested in? Tons of good restaurants, but with covid things have changed a bit but I can do some digging for recs.

I'd like to get a good sampling of what the local style is. Places don't have to be super fancy.

I don't know if they are still there but in Monterey itself (like on the wharf) is old fishermans grotto (decent food) and off the wharf is Benihana - one of those cook at the table places if you have never been.

I also forgot my favorite date restaurant in Big Sur (call it an hour south on PCH from Monterey) is Nepenthe. Glorious and amazing. Take a drive, down in the afternoon, eat on the ocean over a cliff and drive back with the sunset.

Nepenthe has been rec'd by several people. We going to drive down to Big Sur one day so we'll probably give it a go.

I haven't been to Carmel since 1992, but I remember having a very good meal at Flaherty's.

I have also eaten at the Stinking Rose in San Francisco, last time was in 1999 though.

I'd like to get a good sampling of what the local style is. Places don't have to be super fancy.

Nepenthe has been rec'd by several people. We going to drive down to Big Sur one day so we'll probably give it a go.

Well it is a pretty diverse city, so "local" style is going to cover a lot of options. For sure seafood and Chinese would be the two I would say you have to hit, while in town, but I would have to check and see what is still open of the places I would recommend since I have only eaten on that side of the bay once since early 2020.

It should be - it's awesome, totally a date restaurant! Feel free to leave early when you're driving south there's a bunch of hippy type places to stop where you can get fresh soap or knick-knacks at the little businesses on the side of the road.

I couldn't tell you (for a variety of reasons) the names of any restaurants, but if you need to spend time in the city rather than going out to more enjoyable places go walk around in Haight Ashbury, they have good breakfast foods there and hole in the walls (holes in the wall?).

I moved away over a decade ago so as I think about it things come to mind.

We had an awesome meal at Orchard City Kitchen this past November! It is in Santa Clara.

I have had several very good steakhouse type meals at Izzy’s.

I had a great Italian dinner at Ristorante Ideale last time I was in SF (definitely recommend this over The Stinking Rose)

Definitely recommend them both

Well it is a pretty diverse city, so "local" style is going to cover a lot of options. For sure seafood and Chinese would be the two I would say you have to hit, while in town, but I would have to check and see what is still open of the places I would recommend since I have only eaten on that side of the bay once since early 2020.
Chinese, Mexican, seafood, Italian, BBQ, come to mind but we like trying different foods. If there is a good local steak place, that's good too.

Chinese, Mexican, seafood, Italian, BBQ, come to mind but we like trying different foods. If there is a good local steak place, that's good too.
See one post above for Italian and steakhouse rec’s

I have had several very good steakhouse type meals at Izzy’s.

I had a great Italian dinner at Ristorante Ideale last time I was in SF (definitely recommend this over The Stinking Rose)

Definitely recommend them both
I was just looking at Izzy's menu.

Back