HoselRocket104

Reaction score
Handicap
I know you guys will be extremely jealous when i tell you where i'll be playing this week. I'll be playing in the middle of SD. The course even has sand greens. Not sure if anyone will even know what that means. From playing a nice resort on weekend to playing a sand green dog track the next. :banghead:

I played on sand greens one time, way back in 1978 or 79. I am not sure where it even was.

There's a small course near me that has sand greens. Do theirs have a string on a pole where you measure where your ball was on the "green" from the approach, then you move to the smooth sandy area and place the ball down based on where you measured it on the string? That's how it is on this one. It's the only one I've ever seen. Basically all of your putts are made from this groomed lane to the hole. LOL.

I never even knew anything like this existed.....sand greens?? I read this and thought you were talking about sand on the greens! I told you all, I was still learning!

I've driven by many courses in Manitoba that have sand greens but I've never played on any.

I know you guys will be extremely jealous when i tell you where i'll be playing this week. I'll be playing in the middle of SD. The course even has sand greens. Not sure if anyone will even know what that means. From playing a nice resort on weekend to playing a sand green dog track the next. :banghead:

What course is it? Native SDian here

There's a small course near me that has sand greens. Do theirs have a string on a pole where you measure where your ball was on the "green" from the approach, then you move to the smooth sandy area and place the ball down based on where you measured it on the string? That's how it is on this one. It's the only one I've ever seen. Basically all of your putts are made from this groomed lane to the hole. LOL.

I don't think they have a string. I've only played it once and i don't think i bothered putting. The "greens" are supposed to be raked so already and then you rake after you finish. In a circle of course. Probably shoot the course record! HAHA HAR

That's interesting, I don't know if I would be able to play sand green haha

I would be afraid to scratch my putter hehe, Yeah I never saw one before until you made this thread, I didn't even know what the heck they were. That's funny that you have to rake circularly though

What's the purpose of this? Lack of water in those areas or something else?

we live in a drought area, in the middle of the desert, and yet I've never ever seen or heard of one of these haha

The one above is a huge green compared to the one i'll play this weekend. Tell me how jealous you are?

I would be afraid to scratch my putter hehe, Yeah I never saw one before until you made this thread, I didn't even know what the heck they were. That's funny that you have to rake circularly though

My putter is white so that would surely mess up the paint fast!

Found this...never even heard of sand greens before.

They're usually found in small towns. Towns of a 1000 or less people. Someone will donate land for a course but greens are to expensive to put in and maintain. This is the only way they can afford to have a course. They're pretty popular in ND. Almost evey little town has one. One course even has astroturf greens. FYI - you don't want your approach shot land directly on the green. Usually shoots higher than a ball that lands on a cart path.

I never knew that's how you were supposed to do it. Now that i know that the course record shall be mine.

I never knew that's how you were supposed to do it. Now that i know that the course record shall be mine.

That's really interesting, I guess you won't have to worry about losing the ball running off the back. It should stop dead on the green haha

That's really interesting, I guess you won't have to worry about losing the ball running off the back. It should stop dead on the green haha

Very true. I'm going to have to remember to grab an old putter. I don't remember the grrens looking as good as the one in the video.

Maybe this is a dumb question but I'll ask it anyway, wouldn't that do a ton of damage to a putter?

Holy slow play Batman!

Maybe this is a dumb question but I'll ask it anyway, wouldn't that do a ton of damage to a putter?

I guess it could. I've only played on sand green once. I'll be throwing an old putter in the bag just in case. Doubtfull that most people playing these courses care if they scratch a putter though. Probably not going to see a lot of SeeMores, Scotties and Bettinardis.

Back