So is what that lady did in the video legal?? You actually rake in front of your ball before each putt?

So is what that lady did in the video legal?? You actually rake in front of your ball before each putt?

My father in law said you had to putt it as it lied. So if the person a head of you did a poor job you were screwed. Since then i've learned my father in law knows absolutely nothing about golf. I'm guessing these ladies are doing it correctly.

That's what we did. I think you should be able to just make a path with your putterhead. hahaha

I'm guessing it's very hard-packed sand?

I want to play that course now! Dude snap some pics.

I used to play sand greens all the time. A lush green course, with sand tee boxes and greens.

15 years ago they raised a bunch of money, and now have artificial tee boxes and greens......

I can't say the artificial improved how the course played though... sand was fun for a change.

I wonder how many BIR I would make?

Brown in Regulation lol

interesting, but no way I'd play there, I'd hate to have to rake the green's every putt.

I played one of these in Kansas one time with my grandpa. It cost A dollar for me for 18 and 3 for him. The greens weren't near as big as the ones in the video though, only like 20 feet wide.

Played a course with greens like that once...wont be doing it again.

I was running routes for Frito Lay up in Ottumwa, Iowa years ago, and a girl I knew asked me if I wanted to go play golf with her and her Dad one night after I got off my route. I said sure and she asked if I had ever played sand greens before. I was like, what greens? Had never even heard of them, let alone played them. It sucked. I was so confused on what to do. It's been the only time I played them, and hopefully, the last.

The one that I'm familiar with is in Harrisonville, MO. If you google it, you can see the sand greens. Like I said, on that one you used a string and took the ball to a kind of groomed path.
No it's not against the rules at courses with sand greens to "prepare" the surface. That's the way that course is designed. Usually courses like this are very small in relation to most courses and like what was posted is an answer to deal with the expense of maintaining a full on course. And another poster noted that the cost to play at these is about $1. Many are not 18 holes, or even 9 holes for that matter. They're mostly for a diversion for the local community, not for the serious golfer who wants to improve their game or fancies themselves as the next Tiger. It's for if you're sitting around home bored and want to get out, maybe even with the wife and kids who don't play golf. It's like a couple of steps more than a putt putt course and offers more of a challenge.
The course that I play quite frequently that has 3 18 hose courses now once had sand greens many many years ago I'm told.
Their fun for what they are. If you always take your game seriously, this would not be fun for you. If you want to have a fun diversion and a new experience that you will, more than likely, not repeat too many times then you'll probably enjoy the novelty of it.

i take it these courses dont have a dress code?

You must be dressed.

Judging from my one experience on a sand green course, this is acceptable.

picture-7.png

Cant wait to see this on the pga tour
amazon-golf-course-fertilizer-sand-green-4.jpg

Don't think I'll see one of these tomorrow. I'll snap some pics of Hoven National Country Club for you guys.

Does the course have an official slope rating? I guess on a positive side it old be easy to hold the green on approach shots.

Played nine today and wanted to give everyone the scoop. Course was pretty rough. It's been really dry here. The greens/sands are really small. On the first hole I was less than a foot off the green. I chipped thinking it would run a bit. Instead I was like hitting into powder sand traps. I did the hole thing like the video. I hit my put firm and it went 2 ft. The greens obviously haven't been watered and rolled. They're supposed to be firm and rollable. Because of the conditions I decided not to putt. If the ball was inside the rake it was a one putt. Outside a two putt. I actually hit it well and shot a 36.

The course does not have a ghin rating. Not sure if any sand green courses do.

I wouldn't volunteer to play on a sand green course, but choosing between NO golf or Sand Green Golf...I'd become one of the sand people.

I wouldn't volunteer to play on a sand green course, but choosing between NO golf or Sand Green Golf...I'd become one of the sand people.

Just remember, they scare easily, but they'll be back, and in greater numbers.

They're usually found in small towns. Towns of a 1000 or less people. Someone will donate land for a course but greens are to expensive to put in and maintain. This is the only way they can afford to have a course. They're pretty popular in ND. Almost evey little town has one. One course even has astroturf greens. FYI - you don't want your approach shot land directly on the green. Usually shoots higher than a ball that lands on a cart path.

I learned golf on a sand greens course in Kansas. It was a real treat to play on real grass greens!!

Wow, add me to the list of people that have never heard of this

Here's some pics of my trip to the Hoven Nation Country Club.

The first pic is the #1 hole. There's almost no levation change through out the course. The only change is drainage ditches. At the bottom of the pic you'll see the plush tee box.

Pic #2 is the green on hole #1. I really tried to do the putting right but the greens were powder and you couldn't putt through them. Not very big compared to others i saw posted on this thread.

Pic#3 the payment box and scorecard. It's all on the honor system. I didn't bring any $1s so i just threw in a $5. Didn't feel like throwing in a $20. Get you next time.

Pic#4 is something i'm not sure many people will know. There are no carts to this course. This is a ramp to unload your personal golf cart. You see these a lot in ND & SD.

Attachments

• photo (2).jpg
    photo (2).jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 8
  • photo3.jpg
    photo3.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 8
  • photo4.jpg
    photo4.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 8
  • photo.jpg
    photo.jpg