rlefig

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
That time of year again to head out to Saratoga Springs for the Travers Stakes. Such a great time out theresaratoga.jpg

I’ve never been in town for a race. A friend of ours owns a home on the lake and it stays booked during race season.

The track is our major league sports in these parts. A spectacular venue.

been going out there yearly for the past 10 years or so, used to go a bunch in the late 80's. Stay right on Union Street by the Brook Tavern

Never been for the Travers, but usually spend a day or 2 there each year. Fun place.

My wife always makes me stop at Esperanto’s for doughboys.

Love the racetrack. Worked there when I was in high school. One of my sections was in the grandstand similar to where your photo is from. My first year I was in the clubhouse where I had to enforce dress codes, which made me super popular. But it was in the private box section so I got to meet some big-time politicians, NFL, NBA Coaches, and actors.

Funny story....I used to eat my breakfast in George Steinbrenner's box because it was in my section, and I would watch horses do their morning workouts. One morning I hear a voice that says "hey young man I believe you are in my box." It was Steinbrenner himself, he had a horse working out that morning. I just about crapped myself. But instead of kicking me out, he sat next to me and chatted for a few minutes. Too bad smartphones weren't around then, but he did sign a racing program for me.

I have been going to Saratoga for more than 50 years. I’m out of town this weekend but I will be there Labor Day weekend.
Love the racetrack. Worked there when I was in high school. One of my sections was in the grandstand similar to where your photo is from. My first year I was in the clubhouse where I had to enforce dress codes, which made me super popular. But it was in the private box section so I got to meet some big-time politicians, NFL, NBA Coaches, and actors.

Funny story....I used to eat my breakfast in George Steinbrenner's box because it was in my section, and I would watch horses do their morning workouts. One morning I hear a voice that says "hey young man I believe you are in my box." It was Steinbrenner himself, he had a horse working out that morning. I just about crapped myself. But instead of kicking me out, he sat next to me and chatted for a few minutes. Too bad smartphones weren't around then, but he did sign a racing program for me.

Dress code and enforcement has declined considerably over the years

I have been going to Saratoga for more than 50 years. I’m out of town this weekend but I will be there Labor Day weekend.

Dress code and enforcement has declined considerably over the years

17 year old me, telling people they couldn't walk up the steps to the boxes because they either had shorts or jeans on. I was thrilled to go to work every day haha At least my post was right above the finish line.

17 year old me, telling people they couldn't walk up the steps to the boxes because they either had shorts or jeans on. I was thrilled to go to work every day haha At least my post was right above the finish line.

That’s a prime location for people and horse watching.

We always dress nice. Another fun weekend won some. lost some and drank a sh!tload.

Had fun at Siro's post Travers

Back