Saving ferrules - Reshaft

DNice26

Happy to be here...
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Hey gents,

hoping for tips on the best way to save some BB&F ferrules I have on a set of irons?

How might I save them from being ruined?

Is a heat gun better to use than a blow torch? I have both options..

thank you!!!!

Good luck! I always use a heat gun and it always melts them also. I tried to save some in my early club building days to no avail.

Use a blow torch, and keep the flame high on the neck of the club. In other words, keep the flame as far away from the ferrule as possible. Depending on the gas you're using, hit it for 10-20 seconds. This will soften the epoxy enough to do a firm twist and pull without allowing the club to get so hot as to melt the plastic ferrule.

I'm 99% successful in hundreds if not thousands of attempts with this method.

Though it's worth noting, that if you're trying to remove the ferrules to use on another set of shafts, it gets really tricky. Not impossible but most attempts will fail. Once you remove the head, you'll need to use a heat gun on low heat to let the plastic expand ever so slightly. Then, using something firm you can try to push the ferrule off of the shaft. if there is an epoxy between the ferrule and the shaft you won't be able to do this.

heat gel. vaseline in a pinch. this will take some direct hits.

hot water. maybe even boiling.

razor. between the ferrule and hosel.

but most of the time just keeping the heat away can be enough

Torch in low, heat directly at the bottom of the hosel. Assuming you have steel shafted irons, heat for 15 seconds or so and then try twisting the head. Then just repeat on low heat until the head is loose and twists off. Then heat up some water and dip the tip of the shaft and ferrule in the water. Take a used grip that is cut and use that to pull the ferrule off. The used grip will help get the ferrule off without ruining it and gives a lot of extra grip. It's not always easy to get it perfect, but practice practice practice.

Take a strip of paper towel and soak it in cold water, and wrap it around the ferrule as youre heating. I always do this and use a torch, and the ferrules are never damaged. The tricky part is getting ferrules off the shaft without damage if they've been epoxied on well.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

Take a strip of paper towel and soak it in cold water, and wrap it around the ferrule as youre heating. I always do this and use a torch, and the ferrules are never damaged. The tricky part is getting ferrules off the shaft without damage if they've been epoxied on well.

Do you have any tricks for that last step? Just curious...

Like I said....a little tricky and can be the make or break moment depending on how much you really need to save them. A bit of heat via torch or boiling water can be enough. Sometimes they won't twist off without having to use some vice grips or pliers. That's where that other recommendation helps using an old grip to cushion the teeth. Any small marks can usually be turned out afterwards

Like I said....a little tricky and can be the make or break moment depending on how much you really need to save them. A bit of heat via torch or boiling water can be enough. Sometimes they won't twist off without having to use some vice grips or pliers. That's where that other recommendation helps using an old grip to cushion the teeth. Any small marks can usually be turned out afterwards

You don't need pliers or a vice. If you use some heat whether from water, torch or heat gun, you can then use a sharp razor to remove as much epoxy from below the ferrule. Then use a cut grip to twist the ferrule off. Patience is your friend. However, at the end of the day, some are just not worth it. Just buy some more.

This is why plastic ferrules are so cheap. They are easy to replace since they tend to get ruined during every build. Nearly impossible to save them in my experience

This is why plastic ferrules are so cheap. They are easy to replace since they tend to get ruined during every build. Nearly impossible to save them in my experience

I'm mostly asking because I'd like to save some nice BB&F Co. ferrules. Not super cheap I'd say.

Not particularly expensive either. Just wanted to see what was involved.

I'm mostly asking because I'd like to save some nice BB&F Co. ferrules. Not super cheap I'd say.

Not particularly expensive either. Just wanted to see what was involved.

I save a few of them, but I always tell any of my clients there are no guarantees in the process. A lot of it also depends on the quality of the previous ferrule turning and how much room there is to work with. It's tough to work with when the ferrule has been over turned or sits inside the width of the hosel, that's when I tell them it's not worth it. At $3/ferrule, they are not cheap comparatively speaking. I like to have a lot of spares around in the more popular colors.

Back