Sayings in your area

In Minnesota they say "Oofta" a lot. "You betcha" "Eh" "Cripes sake" "Crimany"

All very Swen and Lena like, "Dontcha knoooow"

All I can think of is Fargo right now haha.

(Which I realize is in ND but they say all that stuff in the movie.)

Yinz, dahntahn, etc
I absolutely hate Pittsburghese, it embarrasses me.

...don't forget "n'at", instead of "et cetera".

A lot of Pittsburghese is spoken in the Youngstown,OH area here.

Last time I was at the airport in Pittsburgh, I found a little book in one of the newsstands, kind of like a Pittsburgh-to-English dictionary...never thought about it until reading through it how much "Burghspeak" we've picked up from "yinz jagz" haha.

As far as it embarrassing you, look at it this way: where else in the country are you going to get good Wedding Soup?

I've heard quite a few of those. At work I deal with a lot of truck drivers from Minnesota- some of my favorite drivers to deal with usually. Was talking with one of them last winter about how cold it got up there and he referred to thermal underwear as 'Minnesota Lingerie'

hella,hella,hella,hella,hella,hella,hella,hella,hella,hella,hella,hella,hella,hella,hella,hella,hella,hella,hella,hella,hella,hella,hella,hella,hella,hella,hella,hella,hella,hella,hella,hella,hella,hella,hella,hella,hella,hella,hella,hella,hella,hella,hella,hella,hella,hella,hella,hella,hella,hella,hella,hella,hella,hella,hella,hella,hella,hella,hella,hella,hella,hella,hella,hella,hella,hella,hella,hella,hella,hella,hella,hella,hella,hella,hella,hella,hella,hella,hella,hella,hella,hella,hella,hella,hella,hella,hella,hella.

We still call it "soda". Oh and it's boiled p'nuts (I have never actually seen it spelled out). Sweet tea is everywhere and loving it.

Maybe just in my household but when someone wants to increase the volume on the TV we say, "Could you please louder it?"
And some of my Cuban friends here say some words with the "are" like 'care' pronounced "air". Instead they pronounce it like "urr" like, "Please be currful."

We still call it "soda".

Eastern New York calls it soda, Syracuse and western NY call it Pop...that was always a fun debate at College in Rochester

hella,hella,hella,hella,hella,hella,hella,hella,hella,hella,hella,hella,hella,hella,hella,hella,hella,hella,hella,hella,hella,hella,hella,hella,hella,hella,hella,hella,hella,hella,hella,hella,hella,hella,hella,hella,hella,hella,hella,hella,hella,hella,hella,hella,hella,hella,hella,hella,hella,hella,hella,hella,hella,hella,hella,hella,hella,hella,hella,hella,hella,hella,hella,hella,hella,hella,hella,hella,hella,hella,hella,hella,hella,hella,hella,hella,hella,hella,hella,hella,hella,hella,hella,hella,hella,hella,hella,hella.

You had just better stop that or I might have to hit you with a "beht"! (my sorry way to type "bat" in Chicagoese).

I wonder if the Bostonians confuse themselves when they go into the Apple Store and ask for either an "IPad" or an "IPod"?

Eastern New York calls it soda, Syracuse and western NY call it Pop...that was always a fun debate at College in Rochester

An ex-girlfriend of mine had family all over Long Island that we'd go out to visit...her uncle offered me a drink once and gave me a blank stare when I asked for a 'pop'.

Oh, you really don't want me to start giving you headaches with Scottish sayings, do you? :D

A cookie to the first to translate this one (Brian G doesn't count!)

Something about prosperity... Long may your chimney smoke???

We call rubber boots gum boots. Gum bands made think of that.
How about, Where ya to?

Couch. I think older people call it a divan (no offense to those who do lol) But my grandma always says divan then I say, it's a couch! ha

I call a fancy or formal one a sofa. The other kind I call a couch, even if it's leather, unless it's fancy! I only heard older people call them divans.

But what about Davenports? That's mostly an older people saying too. They were made by a company called A.H. Davenport and were usually formal.

You hear Davenport around here, too. Funny, because I'm sitting in Davenport, IA right now. No connection though. My family 3 hours away call couches that, too. They also say "warsh" instead of wash.

They also say "warsh" instead of wash.

Yup, I hear that one a lot. My uncle knows the difference in words but he says "you don't wash your clothes, you warsh them"

Here we usually call them crawdads. I've heard people call them crayfish too, as well as crawfish.

If you said crawdads or crayfish around these parts, people would know you are not from Louisiana for sure!!!

We say "y'all" a lot and are perfectly fine with it. Also "making groceries" as in going shopping. The "neutral ground" is the part of the street between lanes on a boulevard that trees and grass grow on. Also, "where ya at" but that is more New Orleans than Baton Rouge and that is why people from N.O. are called "yats".

Where I'm from we got a whole different language going on,its english but not as you know it.
http://www.aboutaberdeen.com/doric.php

My favourite is foos yer doos which translates to hows your pigeons which means how are you? Mad or what

In vegas we got gambling terms. My favorite is "Ship It!" it refers to the dealer "shipping" you the pot in a poker game. However it's evolved to become a saying whenever any thing good happens to you. I heard a guy say it on the Price is right last month.
Laughed for HELLA long. (WHAT UP NORCAL!!)
I grew up in Nor CAL but I lost hella from my vocab when I moved out of the state.

I got two buddies from England and their words are weird. The accent is fine, you'ld be shocked at how well it works on the ladies for them, but their vocab is beyond weird. For starters I had to explain to them that cigarretes are not called f@gs over here, that in fact f@g is a derogatory term here. And they refer to a shopping cart as a wagon.
"Grab a Wagon would ya?"
five minutes later i'm still standing in front of the grocery store hoping a Cowboy's gonna come by and give me a hand.

EDIT: I forgot my favorite Vegas Saying: "What's your friday?"
Out here in vegas everybody, who still has a job, works some crazy hours. When someone asks yo uwhats your friday he wants to know what your two days off our. Example, my roomate works 9pm to 5 am friday to tuesday. So when someone asks him "whats your friday?", his answer is "tuesday 5am"
This way people wanting to do stuff with him knows his two days off starts tuesday at 5am. Odd but nescessary in such a service based town.

The word "trixie" is often used in Chicago to describe certain females. The term originated as a term used to describe certain girls in the neighbrood that I live in, particularly those young, post-college white women that work in advertising, drink starbucks, drive a jetta, own a small dog, and are often seen with a coach or kate spade purse.

The word "trixie" is often used in Chicago to describe certain females. The term originated as a term used to describe certain girls in the neighbrood that I live in, particularly those young, post-college white women that work in advertising, drink starbucks, drive a jetta, own a small dog, and are often seen with a coach or kate spade purse.

Thanks for that explanation. Many, many years ago I worked for a company where my manager was called "Trixie" by her director. I never knew why - and never asked. Her first name was Vicky and her middle initial wasn't a "T". I believe her director was from Chicago.

Originally from Sacramento, California. The word I still use is hella. I feel like an A-hole everytime I use it, oh well.

LOL yeah, Hella is a NorCal word that slips out from time to time.

***k Lane kiffin and Monte too
Lane kiffin sucks
-no explanation needed

Yea Run That---EXAMPLE.

Hey man do u wanna go play golf in a little bit?

Yea run that.

Last edited:
"by jiggers"
"he's crazier than a peach orchard boar"
"I'll knock a turd outa you as long as grandma's clothesline"
"as graceful as a bull in a china closet"
come to mind

I like to use a phrase that few people use and thats "You had your tongue all rolled out". I usually say it when somebody was anticipating something awesome and then was disappointed. For example, You were expecting to find ice cream in your freezer, youve been thinking about it for hours on end during hot hot day, then you look in the fridge and only find a totally empty can of ice cream (why people put empty jars back in the fridge is another fascinating topic on its own), so I jump from around the corner and say "oh you had you tongue all rolled out!" and then laugh.

Back