Sayings in your area

JackisBack

Reaction score
Handicap
In the area I live in there is a saying that a lot of us use and the word is, RATE. Ex: Hey, it is rate hot outside. That is exclusive to my city. I was wondering of sayings in the town,state,province,county,etc...

Originally from Sacramento, California. The word I still use is hella. I feel like an A-hole everytime I use it, oh well.
Another one I hear all the time from the guys I work with that are from Boston is wicked. I laugh every time.

around here it's usually the Cowboys suck or Mets/Yankees blow

Around here a lot of people says "mingha!" When surprised/annoyed. Ive been told its Italian coming from the 40% original population being Italian in Jamestown, NY. Also a lot of people say PoP and I hateeee it. I always always Always say Soda. Also theres that classic western NY accent like egg sounds like agg, milk sounds like melk. Its painful sometimes... anyone in say Southern Cali need a roomie?

Beast. That is almost overused in my town.

Originally from Sacramento, California. The word I still use is hella. I feel like an A-hole everytime I use it, oh well.
Another one I hear all the time from the guys I work with that are from Boston is wicked. I laugh every time.

Norcal saying HELLA! I love saying it around my friends from SoCal, it pisses them off.

Crawfish, and the first time I heard it, I was like what?!?! ya'll done lost ya'lls mind. Yeah, the locals down here call spiny lobsters crawfish. I was picturing these big boats going out and dropping hundred of traps trying to catch tiny little crawfish like we used to catch back home in muddy cricks.

*Note the ones here are much more tasty:eat:

How's ya momma and them doing?

This kind of has nothing to do with the thread, but this is what our downtown is filled with. I guess it's kind of a saying...

this was filmed in our downtown
[youtube]kRcUPyj_EBw[/youtube]

Yinz, dahntahn, etc
I absolutely hate Pittsburghese, it embarrasses me.

Norcal saying HELLA! I love saying it around my friends from SoCal, it pisses them off.

Oh it definitely pisses the SoCal people off!!! A ton of my family live in SoCal and get annoyed quickly when I do......haha I love irritating my family!

Crawfish, and the first time I heard it, I was like what?!?! ya'll done lost ya'lls mind. Yeah, the locals down here call spiny lobsters crawfish. I was picturing these big boats going out and dropping hundred of traps trying to catch tiny little crawfish like we used to catch back home in muddy cricks.

*Note the ones here are much more tasty:eat:

Here we usually call them crawdads. I've heard people call them crayfish too, as well as crawfish.

Bubbler.

Kevin

Around here everyone drinks "pop" although I have family from the south where they refer to it as soda so I'm one of the very few that call pop soda.

Bubbler.

Kevin

That one cracked me up when I first heard it. Who was the brilliant soul to think of that one?

Around here everyone drinks "pop" although I have family from the south where they refer to it as soda so I'm one of the very few that call pop soda.

I'm in a house divided. I call it pop, Jacqui calls it soda. Must be her time in California that messed her up! hehehe

That one cracked me up when I first heard it. Who was the brilliant soul to think of that one?

Not sure, but it makes perfect sense.

We call soft drinks soda. You don't often hear pop in Cheeseland, unless we're dancing to Michael Jackson, the King of Pop.

Kevin

We pretty much always say pop. Also "gumbands" instead of rubber bands, and lots of people around here call vacuum cleaners "sweepers." :/

Do you call it a couch, a divan or a sofa?

I used to call it "soda" until I met my wife and we moved to Oregon. Everyone here calls it "pop" too, so I've adapted.

I've learned to call lots of sweetened drinks that you make at home "juice". Doesn't matter if it's Koolaid, Crystal light, or actual ffruit juice, I call it "juice", just like everyone does back in Hawaii. I've taught my whole family to do the same, haha.

Also a lot of people say PoP and I hateeee it. I always always Always say Soda.

Just so you know, both are incorrect. We Southerners call it a Coke...whether it is or not.

Do you call it a couch, a divan or a sofa?

Couch. I think older people call it a divan (no offense to those who do lol) But my grandma always says divan then I say, it's a couch! ha

I usually just call whatever I'm wanting by its name. Coke, Dr.pepper, pepsi, sprite, etc.. But ad is right, alot of people do say coke no matter what it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Da"... as in Da Bears, Da Coach (Ditka) or Da Mare (Mayor Daley)
"Tree"... as in the number 3.
"Curse of the billy goat" and "someday we'll go all the way"... something I hear right around all-star break.
"The Jewel"... code for the grocery store.

Oh, you really don't want me to start giving you headaches with Scottish sayings, do you? :D

A cookie to the first to translate this one (Brian G doesn't count!)

Lang may yer lum reek!

Just so you know, both are incorrect. We Southerners call it a Coke...whether it is or not.

lol, I recall this from my time in Florida and the Carolinas...also Sweeeeet Tea everywhere...But I really could go for some well prepared shrimp grits. No boiled peanuts tho, no ways.

Back