Scorecard Player Lines

PGA Prez wants to change scorecard designs

“That small little token is the first thing women see when they see a scorecard. We’re on the bottom and you’re on the top, which is not great.”

“What we have to accomplish in the game is kind of a new set of mores and norms,” Whaley said. “The scorecard typically has the four back tees at the top and the two forward tees at the bottom. Why is that? Why aren’t they all together? Who is going to go to the forward tees if it’s below on the card? Why don’t we just have every tee box at the top and choose the tee where you want to play?"

====

Taking it another step further, Whaley would like to see double-par as an option on some scorecards as a secondary level of accomplishment for beginning players.

“If you’re starting the game and you see 3-4-5-3-4-5 and you go 9-10-8-9-10-8, you pretty much think you stink,” Whaley said. “You just don’t have it yet. You’re learning how to get there. If you put ‘Your par on a par-3 is 6,’ and we can reach double par on any hole, we can really reach some progress.”

Has anybody anywhere ever not played the forward tees because it's on the bottom of the card? What a ludicrous thing to be concerned about. You could put it at the very top of the card, with tees listed in ascending order, and people would still play the same tees.

Last edited:
If 5 and 6 lines dominate, how could it be gross and net since golf is primarily done in foursomes?
I think we're on the same page? It couldn't be both gross and net without 8 lines but I think the reason some cards are printed with 8 lines is likely for that purpose? I can't think of another reason. 8 rows aren't common here though, none the less.

Who knows but now I’m wondering...

I think we're on the same page? It couldn't be both gross and net without 8 lines but I think the reason some cards are printed with 8 lines is likely for that purpose? I can't think of another reason. 8 rows aren't common here though, none the less.

So what would be the reason for 5-6 lines?

I have no idea. Ours have 6 and I have never seen them all used.

So what would be the reason for 5-6 lines?
Absolutely no idea why 5 and 6 line cards are so common? Just pointing out that they are the most common iteration I've seen in this region.

Absolutely no idea why 5 and 6 line cards are so common? Just pointing out that they are the most common iteration I've seen in this region.

Oh no, I am not asking why they are common. I am asking the same question about 5-6 as I am about 8. Why? If golf is played in fours, do these cards exist and why did they start.

I’m thinking for the cards with 6 lines, the top 4 are for men and the bottom 2 are for women so that they are written next to their hole distance and handicap information.

I’m thinking for the cards with 6 lines, the top 4 are for men and the bottom 2 are for women so that they are written next to their hole distance and handicap information.

So women don’t play in foursomes?

So women don’t play in foursomes?

If they were, the two lines above their tee/hole information would be just as close as the bottom 2 lines. I can’t think of any other reason to have that tee information separated from all the rest like that.

Even the 8 person card you posted has the forward tees separate from all the rest. So maybe in that case the top 4 would be for males, and the bottom 4 for women.

On ours, even if you play the forward tees, there is a different course/slope rating for women.

Because we've always done it that way. ?

@JB did you ask the scorecard printers why 8 lines are so common?

5 lines at my course which is funny since we don't allow 5 somes

Just read the entire thread (thankfully only two pages) my thought is I can’t wait for next spring to get here.?

Some score card printers bro in law was an ink salesman.

The card at our club has 8 lines, 4 up and 4 down. When I score for the group, I use the top 4 lines for my cart and the bottom 4 lines for the other cart. We play a game so I skip every other line so that I can insert marks (points) for who won the hole, who made a bullet, who had a 3 putt, etc.

I suspect this will now be the most searched question on Google today!! :p
Haha, I was about to Google it before I posted but decided against "cheating". :ROFLMAO:

Back