Scoring -- What is your comfort level?

Ole Gray

Mayor of the Woodshed
Reaction score
Handicap
Average
I know from the nature of the beast we may never ever be totally satisfied with what we shoot. I have seen folks on here and at my home course, who appear to never really hit their comfort zone. If I could consistently shoot in the low 80's in any kind of weather and on a variety of slope rated courses, I honestly believe I could be in my comfort zone. I have come to grips with my skill level and no matter how much I play, practice or take lessons, my scoring zone pretty much remains in the low 80s, as an average. I can deal with that. How about you, what would it have to be for you to be comfortable with your golf game? I am talking about a realistic and not potential comfort zone.

For me getting back to mid 70s all the time would be my comfort zone. It's only a couple strokes from where I am now but I'm all over the board with scoring right now.

Tapatalk... Loved by me hated by the wife.

I wouldn't say that I'm comfortable shooting in the upper 80s, which is where I seem to be usually. I always think about the short putts that I miss or fat shot that could've made for a low 80s round. However, I'm much more comfortable where I am now than where I used to be, and am coming to grips with the fact that I may never be a 70s scorer.

Mine would probably be the high 70's to the low 80's at the moment.

Mid 40s per 9.

I can deal with high 70s low 80s for now but I am really hoping to keep these scores in my rear view window someday

I'm happy with high 70's or low 80's right now. I expect to be shooting mid to high 70's consistently by next season.

Mid to low 80's would be fine. However an occasional venture into the high 70's would be acceptable too.

My desire is to shoot 85-95 consistantly, I would love to get lower but I think that is quite a ways off.

I usually shoot in the low to mid 80's by the end of the year. I feel like I just get started and get in a groove and the golf season ends. I know I have the potential to consistently shoot in the high 70's/low 80's but almost don't have enough time and play to do it. I just started playing again a couple of years ago and only get in about 20 rounds/season.

I am planning to practice over the winter for the first time ever. I hope this keeps my game around where it is now and can start off there next season.

I'd say that for most of us you could answer with five strokes or so below what you're currently shooting. For me that would be mid- to low 80s...I'd be ecstatic with that level of play.

As long as I shot under 85 on my home course which is a par 68 I`m in my comfort zone, always got to go lower but hate going higher. But as my game gets better I`m hoping to be under 80 on a consistent basis, that`s the goal for this summer actually.

I am happy around 90 right now. Hope to be shooting high 80s by end of summer. I have had three rounds in the 80s ever (85 best). But I feel upper 80s is definitely achievable on this course for me.

I'm pretty content when I shoot in the low/mid 80's and I'm really happy when I shoot in the 70's.

Excited - 80 or lower
Happy - 81-83
Content - 84-87
Disappointed - 88 or higher

Sent from my Tapatalk!

Low 80's feel right for my game right now, but I shot a 92 last week and it stung.

OG I resolved many moons ago that I was going to be a 70s shooter. I'm comfortable with that and really don't expect too much more considering I have two previous jewels at home. I know if I practice I can get lower and maybe compete at a high AM level. But I love my life and the level of my game. Great thread idea BTW

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

77-80 would be good with me. I'm almost there, but I can't get rid of the big numbers.

anything around even or under. i am at the point now where a round without a couple birdies or one with some huge mistakes is getting rare. scoring average lately has been right on even. a couple 1 unders and a couple 1 overs

i dont know that it is ever comfortable unless you shoot the magic 59 right? for me, where my game is now, any thing under 85 im ok with, under 80 im pretty happy and around par is once in a blue moon but I know I have the ability to be under par consistently as far as length and my putting go, but am way to inconsistant driving and it frustrates me. today I shot the worst score of my year with 10 penalty strokes as I could not keep it on the course and still had a putt to break 90. I think i would be comfortable around par, what the course says were supposed to shoot

I know from the nature of the beast we may never ever be totally satisfied with what we shoot. I have seen folks on here and at my home course, who appear to never really hit their comfort zone. If I could consistently shoot in the low 80's in any kind of weather and on a variety of slope rated courses, I honestly believe I could be in my comfort zone. I have come to grips with my skill level and no matter how much I play, practice or take lessons, my scoring zone pretty much remains in the low 80s, as an average. I can deal with that. How about you, what would it have to be for you to be comfortable with your golf game? I am talking about a realistic and not potential comfort zone.

I'm with you Ole Gray. I would love to be in the low 80's All the time....

I've been playing for two years and change now and anything in the 80's and I'm happy. Low 90's I go "eh". Anything above that and I'm not happy. The difference between an 89 and a 90 is amazing. One lipped putt over 18 holes can be the difference between :) and :|

I am content with something in the low 80's, like an 81 or 82. But honestly right after each of my rounds, I head to the practice area to work on my game. There is always something to work on and always room for improvement in your score. My dad always tells me that I should be happy with low 80's scores since it hasn't been long since I seriously picked it up, and I try to be, but there's that hunger to get better all the time and shoot a new best score each time.

I know that you said don't say your "potential Comfort zone" but I can't say as I'm comfortable. I want to be the best I can be. I have dropped my HCP 10 strokes in the last year. And I intend to be at scratch by the time I leave High School. Until I am there and have gotten into a PGM school, I don't think I'll be perfectly happy. And remember, that's just my Opinoin, which may not match others here. And it certainly doesn't have to.

Well last month I broke 80(shot 77 both times)in back to back weeks. And then today I shot s 76. Right now i don't know what my potential is. I know if I can cut just a few strokes off my game I could shoot par. I want to be able to shoot oar but I think that will come on it's own Maybe next year or later this year. I have been very consistent lately so I know I still have something left to prove now that I've broken 80

Back